SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Any of you boys and girls in the Maidstone area?........

What's Hot
.......Just bought a house there so I guess I'm going to be in the area. What's the scene like there? 
All the right notes, not always in the right order!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    Girls?
  • You have to be inclusive these days. The birds don't like it if they think you're leaving them out. I'm an equal opportunities player I guess.  
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427
    .......Just bought a house there so I guess I'm going to be in the area. What's the scene like there? 
    Not much. A few pubs that have bands but no particularly decent venues. You'll probably wish you'd stayed in London but with good behaviour and parole you could be out of there in just a few years :D
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Not much. A few pubs that have bands but no particularly decent venues. You'll probably wish you'd stayed in London but with good behaviour and parole you could be out of there in just a few years :D
    Ha - I've bought a house not been sent there at Her Majesties pleasure. That said, possible venue?
    Ha - I've bought a house not been sent there at Her Majesties pleasure. That said, possible venue?
    As they say   -  captive audience.

Maidstone did once have a decent music scene but you are probably about twenty years too late. But it's what you make of it I guess  -  or be prepared to travel. There is a bit more of a live music scene in east Kent and in little pockets of activity like Faversham. Surprisingly Kent has no major venues at all  -   unless you are into tribute bands.
  • Well perhaps there is an opportunity there!

Failing that, any members in the area for guitar influenced get togethers? (was going to say jams, but feared a host of WI jokes).
    If you enjoy jam sessions / open mike nights there are plenty of those to choose from and they're a good way to meet local musos.
  • Jimbro66 said:
    If you enjoy jam sessions / open mike nights there are plenty of those to choose from and they're a good way to meet local musos.
    Sweet - Cheers Jim. Where is the best place to dip my toe in? 
    It's a couple of years since being around that area but possible starters are The Flowerpot, The Old House At Home and Druids in Maidstone and the Railway in Wateringbury. There are plenty more including in Ashford, Sittingbourne, Sheppey, etc. I could well be out of date but if you get along to any of the ones I've mentioned I'm sure guys there will give you more names and places.There used to be a very good online Kent gig guide but no longer going unfortunately.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Saw the title and thought someone had resurrected that old thread from Jimmy Saville's short lived membership
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:
    It's a couple of years since being around that area but possible starters are The Flowerpot, The Old House At Home and Druids in Maidstone and the Railway in Wateringbury. There are plenty more including in Ashford, Sittingbourne, Sheppey, etc. I could well be out of date but if you get along to any of the ones I've mentioned I'm sure guys there will give you more names and places.There used to be a very good online Kent gig guide but no longer going unfortunately.
    Thanks for all the info mate. I'll check it all out in the new year. 
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    I've just moved down to Maidstone from London and believe me, I much prefer it to London. There's some half decent pubs down here, but its mostly cover bands that play them. If you're into originals then you'll need to travel a bit further afield.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• Motorhate said:
    I've just moved down to Maidstone from London and believe me, I much prefer it to London. There's some half decent pubs down here, but its mostly cover bands that play them. If you're into originals then you'll need to travel a bit further afield.
    I arrive on Monday!!
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    edited January 2017
    I'm in Whitstable, but was in Faversham for many years before that. As previously mentioned, lots of jam nights - get on the various Facebook Kent music groups and they tend to be advertised.

An ex band chum runs a few in Rochester/Rainham plus a new one out at a pub called the Hook and Hatchet (Hucking, just outside M'stone) on Thursday nights. He gets quite a loyal turn out and is a top chap, so would recommend them.

Suffice to say, there seems to be a hell of a lot more going on now then there was a few years ago, lots of covers bands yes, but also a fairly vibrant originals scene.
  • I'm in East Kent, lots of open mics with a few monthly Blues jams dotted about, some more open and amenable than others (some have "cliques" sadly).  Jazz and Funk jams now once a month too so pretty varied scene.  I personally think there's more bands out there gigging but lots of cover bands...a few pubs lost too e.g. the Pilot in Maidstone closing this month sadly. 
  • MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
    ...a few pubs lost too e.g. the Pilot in Maidstone closing this month sadly. 
    Oh crap. I quite liked that pub. Seen some good bands in there and the beer (and cider) was pretty good too. That's a real shame.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo