Matrix FR12

What's Hot
Hi everyone. 

Anyone got an FR12 that they can give an opinion on? I'm about to go full on FRFR after always playing through valves (amp and cab soon to be on classifieds, so watch that space).

thanks. 

Paul. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited December 2016
    I use a Yamaha DXR10 with a Kemper... works well.

Edit: Sorry, I've just realised I've been no help at all in regards the question you actually asked. My bad... ignore me!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    I use a Q12, which has the same internal amplifier, but the older speaker, and comes in 3kg heavier. I presume that the two will sound similar.

Sound projection is less directional than with a 4x12, or even a 2x12, cabinet. However I'd still recommend getting it well up off the floor, which is something that's hard to do with a normal cabinet or valve combo. I used to use a normal amp stand, which put it at hip level, but have now switched to a short PA pole to get it at chest level.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Thanks Roland. Raising it might be difficult, I'll most likely tilt it back on my quiklok amp stand. Do you have any issues with fan noise? The FR12 has passive cooling which is better for me - had bad experience with peavey triumph pag120 and noisy fan. 
  • richhrichh Frets: 449
    I've not got the FR12, but I use a Matrix wedge shaped FRFR monitor with a Kemper, with a built in power amp.  I think it is very good!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    Do you have any issues with fan noise? 
    Nope. In a pub, with normal conversation going on, I only know it's on because it lights up. At home my PC fan is louder.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Thanks guys. Much appreciated. FR12 is on the way!

• Ok, so I have just bought the FR12 - a really nice amp, with a great sound. I'm running a Helix through it and have been very impressed how little the amp colours the tone.

However, I have a problem with a low level hissing, which is present as soon as I turn the unit on. With no input, volume on the unit turned down, it is always present. This is the second unit that I have had, both have had the same issue. 

Has anyone experienced the same thing? John and Robin at Matrix have been really helpful, apparently the second unit has had the DSP firmware updated which significantly reduces hiss at lower levels. I really can't tell the difference, it sounds exactly the same as the original one! Before I contact them again, I thought I would check around some of the forums.

I really love the amp, but I'm not sure that I can live with the hiss.

Really directed to anybody out there who has an FR12 or FR10.

Many thanks,

Paul.
  • Where have you all bought your speakers from? On the phone to Andertons and I'm staggered by their lack of knowledge. Shocking. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Where have you all bought your speakers from? On the phone to Andertons and I'm staggered by their lack of knowledge. Shocking. 
    There's someone in the guitar department who knows about amplifying modellers 'cos I got him on the phone when I was asking about stock before I went in.

Problem seems to be when you ask specifically about a speaker they put the 'hi-tech' department in front of you who know very little about guitar-modelling-stuff-and-our-needs 

Ask to speak to one of the guitar department - sorry I don't know the name of the guy I spoke to who seemed a bit more knowledgable 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    Did the OP get his low end hiss sorted out?

I'm thinking of getting a more traditional looking cab rather than my DXR10 (mainly for space / stacking reasons) but dodgy hiss would put put me off!
  • If you are using the FR12 for gigs and band practice, the hiss will be negligible as it is not amp volume dependent. For me, most of my playing is at relatively low levels, so it was an issue.

In the end, I returned the FR12 and am now using the FR12P and the 2U GT1000FX power amp. It's a bit more kit, but I think it is absolutely fantastic. So much so, that I have just bought a 2nd FR12P to run my Helix in stereo.

Whichever you go for, I absolutely cannot fault the Matrix customer service. Theses guys know what they are talking about!!!

Good luck in your quest!
  • .... sorry, forgot to mention their 14 day returns policy, so you could always try it out and if it doesn't suit, send it back!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    Did the fans on the poweramp not annoy as much as the hiss?
  • The 2U version is the ultra-quiet one. Yes there is a small amount of fan noise, but I'd say it is comparable with my PC cooling fan, which is in the same room. Also, with long enough leads, the amp can be positioned a bit further away from my ears!

I had an old Peavey Triumph PAG120 for quite a while which was fan cooled and very noisy, so I was a bit dubious about using another amp with active cooling, but the Matrix has been great. It was produced for on the road and studio use and has larger fans than the 1U version.