dimarazio 36th anniversary PAF aka falling in love with my les paul again

What's Hot
for years I've been disappointed with the stock pups that came fitted to my les paul classic. OD tones were great, very hot but fine. Clean tones however were pretty much non-existent. It was just too crunchy.
Ive had it for well over 12 years now and its always bothered me but I've never really done anything about it. For some reason a few months ago it wound me up to the extent that i contacted my local les paul expert (max cottam of cottam guitars. HIGHLY recommended for those in the northwest) anyways he recommended this pickup. 
I finally got round to fitting it and I'm seriously chuffed to bits. The only real frame of reference i gave to Max was that i wanted Peter Green tones! It absolutely nails it. I never really play any guitar in the "both pickups" setting but this is just heaven in the middle.
Only issue is that there is a perceivable difference in volume between the two separate pups but thats nothing that overly bothers me but maybe would annoy others. the difference in the sound more than outweighs this tiny problem for me though.

if anyones interested in hearing it i will gladly try and upload a quick video of some of the juicy tonez on offer ;-)
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Love these pups.  Have them in a Charvel Pro Mod.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Here is a link to the DiMarzio page for the 36th Anniversary PAF, it includes video with Larry's 59 LP which they were based on.
    I hope you find it interesting.

I have a pair just waiting to be fitted, so I appreciate your opinions too, and that video if you want to do it.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    36th Anniversary?

You never hear anyone saying - oooh, it's the big three-six!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the link although i didn't really appreciate the guitar world demo. the sound was very muddy and why the fook did he play the guitars "acoustically!!!" on a pickup demo???? 

i have been trying to get a better you tubing setup going at home and its almost ready so i shall maybe make this demo my first one with my new setup!!! i will try and get started on it straight away! all i can say is that I'm overwhelmed with the difference and a great guitar that i haven't played for a long while because of those stock pickups is now getting a lot more outings as a result of this one!

(note i only fitted the bridge pup, the stock gibbo neck was fine for my tastes!)
    How very rock and roll
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Love these pickups too! No mud,just warmth and articulation.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i pulled the stock pickups out of my Classic on day 2...not tried the 36ths yet, but i've heard a lot of very good reviews like yours