NPD: TC Viscous Vibe

What's Hot
johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
I have been looking for a vibe pedal for my second pedalboard. I already own a Drybell and a Fulltone mini Dejavibe, but I wanted another, cheaper, small footprint vibe. Despite being kind of anti digital, I thought that the TC was worth a shot.

To say that I've been pleasantly surprised is an understatement. I don't hear any digitalness. The TC just sounds exactly the way I think a vibe should. I tried out a few toneprints and settled on the second Vintage Vibe setting. I know it's early days, but the TC has actually pushed the Drybell off top spot. Im not trying to claim that the TC is better than either of my other vibes, but the thought that it could even give them a run for their money is a shock to me.

I just thought is let you guys know how impressed I am. I know that I would have welcomed input when I was searching the web for reviews.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    Nice, I have been meaning to check one of these out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24184
    I had one - only sold when I got a Helix.

It's excellent.
  • When I tried one it had an annoying issue whereby when you stomp to disengage it it kept going for around another 2 seconds. I read it was tomake it more authentic! Most annoying. When I switch a pedal it's because I want it to stop there and then,not whenever it feels like it! Do they still have this trait or have they sorted it?
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    Mine switches off the instant I press the switch (thankfully!)
  • When I tried one it had an annoying issue whereby when you stomp to disengage it it kept going for around another 2 seconds. I read it was tomake it more authentic! Most annoying. When I switch a pedal it's because I want it to stop there and then,not whenever it feels like it! Do they still have this trait or have they sorted it?
    I think that's something you can adjust in the TonePrint editor.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24184
    When I tried one it had an annoying issue whereby when you stomp to disengage it it kept going for around another 2 seconds. I read it was tomake it more authentic! Most annoying. When I switch a pedal it's because I want it to stop there and then,not whenever it feels like it! Do they still have this trait or have they sorted it?
    That is what it is supposed to do!

Like when actual rotary speakers were used - they took time to speed up and slow down.
    That is what it is supposed to do!

Like when actual rotary speakers were used - they took time to speed up and slow down.
    Well no other univibe pedal I've ever owned did it. It's really annoying and made it unusable for me. I'd love to know for sure if it's something that can be changed as I think the pedal sounds great. 

• johnhe said:
    Mine switches off the instant I press the switch (thankfully!)
    Are you sure? Just seen on the tc website that it's an intentional feature. It can only be turned off on the edited toneprint slot. 
    Absolutely certain. I've just tried it.

If you keep your foot on the switch, then you activate the ramp function and the vibe speeds up. I love that feature. But if you just dab the switch like normal, my pedal disengages instantly. Are you sure you're not inadvertently activating the ramp feature?
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    johnhe said:
    Absolutely certain. I've just tried it.

If you keep your foot on the switch, then you activate the ramp function and the vibe speeds up. I love that feature. But if you just dab the switch like normal, my pedal disengages instantly. Are you sure you're not inadvertently activating the ramp feature?

I have one of these and in true bypass mode it definitely 'winds down'. There are 2 internal dip-switches for buffered bypass and kill-dry signal for putting it in an effects loop. It's possible if you bought used somebody has flicked one if them and that's what is making it switch straight off? I like this pedal a lot. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Samgb said:

I have one of these and in true bypass mode it definitely 'winds down'. There are 2 internal dip-switches for buffered bypass and kill-dry signal for putting it in an effects loop. It's possible if you bought used somebody has flicked one if them and that's what is making it switch straight off? I like this pedal a lot.
    Mine winds down both in TB and buffered mode. Hasn't really bothered me and have actually found it useful live as I can switch it off a couple seconds before I want it off and then be ready to turn on another pedal.
    johnhe said:
    I have been looking for a vibe pedal for my second pedalboard. I already own a Drybell and a Fulltone mini Dejavibe, but I wanted another, cheaper, small footprint vibe. Despite being kind of anti digital, I thought that the TC was worth a shot.

To say that I've been pleasantly surprised is an understatement. I don't hear any digitalness. The TC just sounds exactly the way I think a vibe should. I tried out a few toneprints and settled on the second Vintage Vibe setting. I know it's early days, but the TC has actually pushed the Drybell off top spot. Im not trying to claim that the TC is better than either of my other vibes, but the thought that it could even give them a run for their money is a shock to me.

I just thought is let you guys know how impressed I am. I know that I would have welcomed input when I was searching the web for reviews.

Interesting to read. I've had the Viscous Vibe for a few years, I also have the Digitech Ventura Vibe. For me the Viscous can be a little too hifi compared to the Ventura, which is a bit of a warmer more analogue sound. This I notice most at home or recording. However, live the greater clarity of the Viscous means it does tend to sit in/cut through the mix better and easier.

If I'm going to be critical, the Viscous can to me sound a bit to symmetrical in it's throb. It also suffers a bit from too much 'wow wow' in the chorus setting, I too prefer the vintage vibe sound in toneprint slot.

Having had the Viscous for a bit, what are your opinions of it vs the Drybell and Dejavibe. I've heard the Drybell and Deja being touted by some as the ultimate vibe pedals? I sometimes think my old Danelectro Vibe has one of the best Vibe sounds, but suffers from being too hissy and has an intermittent fault where the volume keeps dropping,
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    love my VV excellent pedal. I tried a number of the tone prints but came back to the stock setting.
    Don't touch that dial.
    edited December 2016
    Octafish said:
    johnhe said:

Interesting to read. I've had the Viscous Vibe for a few years, I also have the Digitech Ventura Vibe. For me the Viscous can be a little too hifi compared to the Ventura, which is a bit of a warmer more analogue sound. This I notice most at home or recording. However, live the greater clarity of the Viscous means it does tend to sit in/cut through the mix better and easier.

If I'm going to be critical, the Viscous can to me sound a bit to symmetrical in it's throb. It also suffers a bit from too much 'wow wow' in the chorus setting, I too prefer the vintage vibe sound in toneprint slot.

Having had the Viscous for a bit, what are your opinions of it vs the Drybell and Dejavibe. I've heard the Drybell and Deja being touted by some as the ultimate vibe pedals? I sometimes think my old Danelectro Vibe has one of the best Vibe sounds, but suffers from being too hissy and has an intermittent fault where the volume keeps dropping,
    I still like my Viscous Vibe, but the Drybell and Deja Vibe are undeniably a little better sounding to my ears - more organic. It's really difficult to put into words. Having said that, I still really like the VV and would be happy with it in just about any setting. The stock setting doesn't do it for me - I am totally reliant on the toneprint setting.

What I like about the VV is the mix control, and the fact that it just sounds "right". Both the Drybell and the Dejavibe sound more ballsy when I'm using gain. The Drybell in particular had a huge amount of tweakability.
    johnhe said:

I still like my Viscous Vibe, but the Drybell and Deja Vibe are undeniably a little better sounding to my ears - more organic. It's really difficult to put into words. Having said that, I still really like the VV and would be happy with it in just about any setting. The stock setting doesn't do it for me - I am totally reliant on the toneprint setting.

What I like about the VV is the mix control, and the fact that it just sounds "right". Both the Drybell and the Dejavibe sound more ballsy when I'm using gain. The Drybell in particular had a huge amount of tweakability.
    Cheers, yeah I'm mainly using the toneprint setting in mine. The Chorus setting has too stronger throb for me. Overall I prefer my Digitech Ventura Vibe, just that bit warmer. The Drybell is a bit too pricey for me, but may have to try out a Deja Vibe one of these days.