Scratchplate hole size for a pot

As you may be aware, recently I bought a Gibson Melody Maker. This guitar has a volume control and jack socket on the scratchplate, no tone control is fitted by Gibson. If the jack socket is removed from the scratchplate and relocated to the body end or somewhere near there, is the hole that the jack socket was in suitable for a tone control pot? If it is too small, it can be enlarged, the problem is that it might be too large for a pot. I don't want to open it up until I am ready to perform the required surgery so if anyone can help ease my mind a little...... Thanks
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    The hole is the right size for a proper quality pot - 3/8".

Did you see the pic I linked in the other thread about this? It's going to be quite a lot of work to move the jack because the existing cavity will be small. If it was me I would do it with jackplate on the side of the body in the correct Les Paul position, but even that will need a hole boring. If you're very careful it should be possible with an old-fashioned cabinet-maker's brace and bit - drill a pilot hole in the right place and it should keep itself centred. I would clamp a couple of heavy wood blocks to both sides of the body to prevent any risk of it trying to break out that way, since the hole diameter will be a large fraction of the body thickness. Only go in as far as you need for the jack, and then link it to the control cavity with a 1/4" (roughly) hole for the cable, you'll probably need an extra-long bit for that.

I've done a couple like this - not on a Melody Maker - and it's a bit scary, but makes a nice job of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Thanks @ICBM, you described the way I am thinking of doing this relocation of the jack socket.  I had thought of using a forstner type bit just deep enough to take the jack and a much thinner drill into the cavity as you suggest.  And use one of those oval jack plates to cover everything.  Could you suggest a 'good' linear pot as I will be using it to  produce a 'variable' adjustable split coil effect.  Anyway nothing will be happening before Christmas.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    You still want a Log pot for a variable coil split or you don't get much in the way of in-between sounds. The standard CTS ones are still the best easily available (although some people prefer Bourns).

I would use a rectangular jack plate not an oval one - it's more 'Gibson' :). If you can't get a square one to fit on the body, PRS use a nice metal one that's narrow enough.

If you're nervous about making a hole that's almost the diameter of the body, use one of the square plastic-bodied jacks instead of an open-frame one - don't be afraid of it being plastic, they're very strong if mounted tightly in the hole in the wood, which is how MusicMan do it - I think the hole is 3/4" diameter but I would need to check.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein