Drum Machine Impedance?

Just scored an old Roland CR-68 Drum machine. 70's tech, big child play buttons. Heart of Glass.

I have the TR-66, which I'll probably move on, but this one has a better Variation selection.

I have a query though. Which impedance should I use, low or high? Is it just a difference in volume at issue? I'm playing it into a Vox Pathfinder 15R at present if that's an issue. Thanks for any assistance.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You know its probably lighter to just shove a drummer in your boot.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6057
    Nice thought but I can't punch a drummer's buttons.

Any definitive word on impedance?
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    nice bit of kit mate! NEver used a CR68, only the CR78
    Thanks @Snap, it is a surprisingly flexible unit. The Variations on the fills make it a lot more interesting than the more basic TR-66. I think I'm right in saying that the CR-78 is a programmable version of the 68. It's a sound that's on a lot of seventies/eighties stuff.

Re. the impedance, I just found some text from the manual -

OUTPUT JACK
    Select between "H, L" in accordance 
    to the input sensitivity of the amplifier 
    or instrument you want to connect 
    to. to obtain the appropriate volume 
    and tone quality. 

Which seems to indicate that it's a 'use what sounds best' scenario. As long as I'm not at risk of damaging the equipment at either end it should be fine.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    you should match it to the input impedance of whatever you are connecting to tbh. You should be able to see the impedance rating on the connecting socket, its usually printed on the back next to the socket.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    That looks ace.  I have seen a lot less well finished 'boxes' on very high end Hi-Fi racks.  Enjoy.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

We never "match" impedances for audio (no! Not even speakers. The 16 Ohm tap on an amp does NOT mean it has an internal, source impedance of 16 Ohms, usually somewhat more) .

The universal rule is that source impedance (aka Z) is around one tenth of the load Z. Thus, mics are around 150-200 Ohms and mic pre inputs 1500 to 2200 Ohms.

That old drum box I would bet just has an output of a certain level and the "high" "low" is just an internal resistor. They REALLY mean level I would say. Normally go for the lowest source Z you can to beat HF cable loss if that gives you enough level to beat noise.

Dave.

ecc83 said:

Normally go for the lowest source Z you can to beat HF cable loss if that gives you enough level to beat noise.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. I take that to mean that the low output would be best. I think you're right that they really mean level, it certainly works that way when using either.
  • What's also worth doing is playing it direct into an OD pedal. When I had my guitar shop years ago, a customer showed me that by plugging a TR626 in there, sounded so much better in the mix. He bought an Arion Metal Master for it, surprised me but it worked. 
    What's also worth doing is playing it direct into an OD pedal. When I had my guitar shop years ago, a customer showed me that by plugging a TR626 in there, sounded so much better in the mix. He bought an Arion Metal Master for it, surprised me but it worked. 
    I'll give that a try,I'm presuming it's drum output to pedal in (as it doesn't have an input). I can imagine it might work well, chorus or Pog2 would be interesting. At present I feed it to a delay unit to double up the beats etc. but modulating or distorting the base sounds could be interesting. Thanks.