Interesting Acoustics video thread

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
As a jonny-come-lately to a lot of acoustic stuff, I keep finding new and interesting guitars (models I wasn't aware of before) on Youtube. I thought I might keep a record of them. Please feel free to join in! :-)

First up - this old-style Gibson Jumbo - is it me or is the tail end of the body really deep? Impressive dynamic range too :-1: 

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    edited December 2016

love the sound of this guys guitars, shes quite the singer as well IMO
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    oh and heres my acoustic being played properly

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    mgaw said:
    oh and heres my acoustic being played properly

That sounds so good!
  • Been rather taken by the clips of NK Forster guitars recently.

https://youtu.be/M9eldgH3BMc
    edited December 2016
    Here's the wonderfully talented (and not just "good for his age") Presley Barker on a Kim Walker dreadnought:

Interesting for a few reasons....a) he's using .013s not because he's a macho poseur, but because he's playing a great, well set up guitar and he's playing it like it's an acoustic guitar and they give him great tone and projection b) these are the kind of settings where things like picks make a big difference and you totally see the value in investing in really good ones c) great example of a player really pulling the best out of a guitar with technique
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    Wow
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Wow
    Presley would be considered a "promising" flatpicker. The standard out there is insane.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I've posted this video a few times before, but I still love it.

Beauregard maple B&S guitar. Looks beautiful but sounds like a fucking choir!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Now, I mean no nastiness about this I promise, but both the sound and the playing don't really speak to me. It's not a song, but a series of slightly melodically connected bits, and the lack of low/low mid girth robs it of groove. I often feel like this about the percussive finger style stuff (with some notable exceptions) so it's not a dig at the player or the guitar.

I *do* really like the Lowden/Avalon/etc sound - that mass of overtones over a strong fundamental (or whatever it is that achieves that sound) but mostly when payed more traditionally. 

I'm really going to enjoy this thread for seeing and hearing new things though - my eyes may be opened!
    Red ones are better. 
    I've recently had my head turned by these 12 fret and deep bodied Dreadnoughts like the Roy Smeck / Stage Deluxe / Jackson Browne - I like how they seem to be a bit more of everything in a  way that evens things out for finger style without loosing the dreadnought girth...

Red ones are better. 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    One of my favourite players is Norman Blake and he uses 12-fret guitars a lot, including a few slope-shouldered dreads, similar to the one above. I realise that old timey songs and fiddle tunes aren't to everyone's taste but I like them...

Check out how Norman deals with an out of tune low E at the very beginning of this clip (then watch the whole thing for the genius of it all):

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited December 2016
    Some little Bourgeois goodness with Bryan Sutton:

• The great Richard Thompson:

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    TimmyO said:
    Now, I mean no nastiness about this I promise, but both the sound and the playing don't really speak to me. It's not a song, but a series of slightly melodically connected bits, and the lack of low/low mid girth robs it of groove. I often feel like this about the percussive finger style stuff (with some notable exceptions) so it's not a dig at the player or the guitar.

I *do* really like the Lowden/Avalon/etc sound - that mass of overtones over a strong fundamental (or whatever it is that achieves that sound) but mostly when payed more traditionally. 

I'm really going to enjoy this thread for seeing and hearing new things though - my eyes may be opened!
    Well that's you off the Christmas card list TimmyO! ;)

No worries mate. It's only a video. I know some people get funny and all that, but life is too short...

This is probably a more 'traditionally' styled piece compared to what he normally plays, but I do understand that his style is a bit niche. Contemporary acoustic stuff seems to be pretty polarising. I got really into it for a while, but now less so. There's loads of people doing it, but I've literally only seen 3 or 4 players that can make it sound right. I am not one of those people! Yet :)

I'm a Lowden player, and love plenty of overtones. I guess we agree there. I think this guitar has a nice balance. I understand what you say about the mids, but my own guitar is mahogany, so I am used to that scooped tone.

Thanks for creating the thread. It's a great idea, and it's nice to hear some different makers and players / styles.

Try this one...

They are South African makers - Casimi.

I really like their styling, and they don't sound too shabby either.

https://youtu.be/6bB-PS70nVY

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:
    TimmyO said:

Well that's you off the Christmas card list TimmyO! ;)

No worries mate. It's only a video. I know some people get funny and all that, but life is too short...

This is probably a more 'traditionally' styled piece compared to what he normally plays, but I do understand that his style is a bit niche. Contemporary acoustic stuff seems to be pretty polarising. I got really into it for a while, but now less so. There's loads of people doing it, but I've literally only seen 3 or 4 players that can make it sound right. I am not one of those people! Yet :)

I'm a Lowden player, and love plenty of overtones. I guess we agree there. I think this guitar has a nice balance. I understand what you say about the mids, but my own guitar is mahogany, so I am used to that scooped tone.

Thanks for creating the thread. It's a great idea, and it's nice to hear some different makers and players / styles.

Try this one...

They are South African makers - Casimi.

I really like their styling, and they don't sound too shabby either.

https://youtu.be/6bB-PS70nVY

Now that right there is an interesting guitar :-) Like the look - and I love his compositions 
    Red ones are better. 

mgaw said:

love the sound of this guys guitars, shes quite the singer as well IMO
    Came for the guitar - stayed for the songs - she's a great singer/player/songwriter - thanks 
    Red ones are better. 
    Mario Proulx makes some astounding guitars. This is his OM/D model..dreadnought sounds from an OM sized package....