Firecreek 7 string Telecaster

What's Hot

Started making another guitar so thought I'd share it with you..

7 string tele with custom cats whisker pickups. Custom order for a crazy jazz fusion guru.

Curly redwood top on ash body

Hard rock maple neck with ziricote fretboard

Got some time off work coming up so hope to get through this one pretty quick.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd380/firecreekCustom/DSCN0761_zpsac165d8a.jpg

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd380/firecreekCustom/DSCN0763_zpsdfd4cc99.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HOLY COW THAT TOP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nuggetnugget Frets: 6

sure is nice, it will come alive when its lacquered 

it came from http://www.oregonwildwood.com/

excellent quality woods at good prices

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Now that top is AMAZING

If it comes alive any more than that it will need it's own passport !

Looking for ward to the build nugget  
    :)

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665

I love curly redwood.  

This is different to the flame you see in maple, the figure in redwood like this is caused by the weight of the trees squashing the bottom half of the tree.   

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WezV;141375" said:
    I love curly redwood.    This is different to the flame you see in maple, the figure in redwood like this is caused by the weight of the trees squashing the bottom half of the tree.   
    Wow, really? That's quite interesting, does that mean it has to be a very old tree? Might not be very sustainable if so.

It's absolutely stunning, though, regardless of rarity.

Weirdly, I prefer that look to very very figured maple I think, and I'm a lover of posh tops.

I just love good wood ;)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Thanks for the curly redwood explanation @WezV

Please excuse the "ultra-noob" question, but what causes the flame and the quilting in maple, or the figuring in some mahogany etc?

its not as clear for other woods.  proper quilted maple is genetic and only occurs in one sub species of maple.  flaming can occur in any wood and is thought to be because of trauma of defects early in the trees life

quilted redwood is not technically sustainable because it relies on  giant redwoods to be grown ... but the stuff you can buy is stump wood or abandoned trunks.   most of it is old trees that were chopped down 100+ years ago.

This is from the OWW site
    This old growth Redwood tonewood was salvaged from trees cut over a century
    ago in the N. California coastal forests. These were the legendary 1500 to 2000+
    year old giants that grew to 20’ diameter and over 400’ tall. The stumps from
    these trees, and the occasional trunk section left in the forest, stayed perfectly
    preserved over the past century and the wood is of distinctly high quality.
    These salvaged stump and trunk sections were carefully removed from the
    forest, transported to Oregon, sawn into slabs, air-dried and resawn into
    tonewood parts. To the best of our knowledge, the acquisition and harvest of
    this item was in compliance with all applicable laws.

all the wood from OWW is sustainable, salvaged or reclaimed... they also focus on lesser known species which helps the green credentials too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV;141819" said:
    its not as clear for other woods.  proper quilted maple is genetic and only occurs in one sub species of maple.  flaming can occur in any wood and is thought to be because of trauma of defects early in the trees life

quilted redwood is not technically sustainable because it relies on  giant redwoods to be grown ... but the stuff you can buy is stump wood or abandoned trunks.   most of it is old trees that were chopped down 100+ years ago.

This is from the OWW siteThis old growth Redwood tonewood was salvaged from trees cut over a centuryago in the N. California coastal forests. These were the legendary 1500 to 2000+year old giants that grew to 20’ diameter and over 400’ tall. The stumps fromthese trees, and the occasional trunk section left in the forest, stayed perfectlypreserved over the past century and the wood is of distinctly high quality.These salvaged stump and trunk sections were carefully removed from theforest, transported to Oregon, sawn into slabs, air-dried and resawn intotonewood parts. To the best of our knowledge, the acquisition and harvest ofthis item was in compliance with all applicable laws.

all the wood from OWW is sustainable, salvaged or reclaimed... they also focus on lesser known species which helps the green credentials too
    Worthy of ten wisdoms. I'm all for green where I can.
    edited January 2014
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    If you hadn't lost the Tele puritans at the "7 string" bit, I think the trem route might have finally pushed them over the edge :)
    Personally I'm liking it so far, the redwood is stunning (as has been mentioned a lot) and that Ash is super open grained.
    Good luck with the rest of the build.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FX_Munkee said:
    If you hadn't lost the Tele puritans at the "7 string" bit, I think the trem route might have finally pushed them over the edge :)
    Personally I'm liking it so far, the redwood is stunning (as has been mentioned a lot) and that Ash is super open grained.
    Good luck with the rest of the build.

For sure!!! Wait till the pair of humbuckers go in.The only tele bit is the shape?? and that's not 'original' as the outline was increased to make it look correct with longer headstock!

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/6540/fs-ft-firecreek-custom-telecaster-600#latest

Doesn't that save me from tele puritans just a little bit?

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Nothing! can save you from the Telepuritans! (it's a new noun I've just invented) :)
    But don't worry. It takes them so long to light the pyre to burn the heretics, that you'll have plenty of time to escape (they insist on using the traditional method of rubbing sticks together as any other method is the work of foul demons).

Keep up the good work.

I might get some pics up of my recentish "Tele" build sometime. Complete with pointy Kramer neck, Floyd Rose, and Pink Paf Pros. If for no other reason than to hear the howls of anguish :)

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389

Abomination !!!!!

( Love it BTW ;) )
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

ohhhh forgot to post more pix along the way, sorry!

Finally got this one finished and sent out

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd380/firecreekCustom/DSCN0980_zpsd1dfc247.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WANT
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    AWESOME!!!!!!

If I had a 7 string that would be it!