Smorg is coming back....

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8537
edited February 2017 in Made in the UK

So it's been a good 8 months or so since I made and delivered the last Smorg pedalboard, having a baby stopped play, and in all likelihood general life will stop play going forwards. However, I'm thinking of doing a few small batches through the course of 2017 when time allows.

As it happens I have a bit of time off in January and have a few people who have been bugging me to make a board so wondered if there was any interest on here for a board also. The idea is that interest is declared up until end of Dec, then the boards would be completed and delivered through January.

They can be from the standard sizes (on the website) or a custom size of your own. Here's the website link which is still active, even though you can't at the moment order direct from there, to give an idea of the standard sizes and for those who haven't come cross Smorg before. www.smorgpedalboards.co.uk

Prices will be as keen as usual, starting at around £40 plus postage for a small Grab, to £80 plus postage for a Tier600 size, custom sizes will be just a tad more.

The only caveat is that there will be no cases, not even the soft cases for the Grab as I ran these dry last time round and I have to buy them in fairly large batches. I can of course make the boards to fit an existing case you may have - and they work wonderfully with the Mono Pedalboard cases for a premium set-up.

Anyhows, shoot me a PM if at all interested.

Cheers

Oh, and here's a link to an old build thread just to give you a further idea of possibilities. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/64770/the-smorg-custom-build-thread#latest

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Out of interest, where did you get the soft cases? It occurred to me that Mono prices have skyrocketed since they moved to their new distributor and there is a gap for similar quality at better prices.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    So, last knockings if anyone is interested in a Smorg, going to get building over the next few weeks then will likely pause again for a while. Get in touch if interested. Cheers.
    edited February 2017
    So I've been wanting to update my Smorg website to reflect the fact that I'm back making boards but it will be in fits and spurts depending upon, well life stuff (this is very much a hobby business). I basically wanted to let people know I'm here but want to control output and thus have people contact me first rather than be able to click and order direct from the website.

So after getting very frustrated with my current website and how clunky it is to update I've done what all good people would do and inadvertently created a brand new website!

So having been at it on and off since Friday I've set it live as I would really love if anyone here could have a quick perusal and give me any feedback, it will all be taken on board. Note that the main "Pedalboard" page is still a work in progress as I'm finalising the prototypes for the new "standard" range over the next week or so. This is more about the look and flow of the website and if it works correctly on a variety of devices. I have purposely gone for a simple uncluttered look and feel.

It can be found here - www.smorgpedalboards.com

And as a comparison, for a very short time my old site is still up at www.smorgpedalboards.co.uk

Any feedback at all muchly appreciated.

Cheers

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    The website looks good Dan and you've given new meaning to "Mug Shots"!!!! Looking forward to seeing the pedalboard images for the different models and I wish you luck with these - they're a quality product.
    Kebabkid said:
    The website looks good Dan and you've given new meaning to "Mug Shots"!!!! Looking forward to seeing the pedalboard images for the different models and I wish you luck with these - they're a quality product.
    Cheers Cos, I think I've finally cracked the case solution for the larger boards, so looking forward to getting these up.
  • I'll be keeping an eye on this.  Now my pedal collection has started, I'm going to need a board to put them on :)
  • Looks good to me, loads really quickly. The only things I would change would be:
    • Put about at the end (far right) as the hierarchy of information would be Pedalboards > Contact / buy > About.
    • Move Smorg logo to far right to bring the page up so I can see all the image and part of what's below on the homepage, you could bring the explanatory paragraph up above the picture too, which would help. Giving the image tighter crop at the top and bottom could help too.
    I do UX for a living, so feel free to PM me if you want me to check anything else.

Best of luck!
    Looks good to me, loads really quickly. The only things I would change would be:
    • Put about at the end (far right) as the hierarchy of information would be Pedalboards > Contact / buy > About.
    • Move Smorg logo to far right to bring the page up so I can see all the image and part of what's below on the homepage, you could bring the explanatory paragraph up above the picture too, which would help. Giving the image tighter crop at the top and bottom could help too.
    I do UX for a living, so feel free to PM me if you want me to check anything else.

Best of luck!
    Cool, some good simple stuff there, thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Interestingly, your old site is classified as 'weapons' and is blocked by our company web filter!
    Interestingly, your old site is classified as 'weapons' and is blocked by our company web filter!
    Shucks, there goes my thinly disguised racket 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    After catching up on customer orders I had a little fun and created these two "green meanies" - also different is the cable gap is in the middle rather than up the top as per a normal Grab, which reduces the overall width by 20mm.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/IMG_1496_zpsttcwtsno.jpg

• They're great, didn't realise you could do colours. Might have to check the finances.
    They're great, didn't realise you could do colours. Might have to check the finances.
    Just an experiment on some pre-painted Alu at the moment, which limits the colours to a handful at the moment, but going to look at maybe spraying my own - really fancy doing some in Fender custom colours. Lake Placid Blue or Candy Apple Red Grab anyone!
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    "Consider the overall frame size you want. The frames is 25mm all-around which is great to protect the pedals but you can overlap and use the frame for pedal space as the plate / rails always sit flush with the frame."
    Slight English issue "The frames are 25mm" would be better.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I like the colours idea.
    Don't touch that dial.
    Fez said:
    "Consider the overall frame size you want. The frames is 25mm all-around which is great to protect the pedals but you can overlap and use the frame for pedal space as the plate / rails always sit flush with the frame."
    Slight English issue "The frames are 25mm" would be better.
    Cheers for that, every time I view the site I spot something but hadn't noticed this!
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    Fez said:
    I like the colours idea.
    Me too. I am not in the market for one but offering colours might attract more orders..... Good luck to you @dindude ;
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    Sneak peek of the new case for the upcoming Pro range...

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/IMG_1499_zpshmg0udmo.jpg

Finding a suitable case for the larger boards has driven me to distraction, to get a soft bag that is of the quality I want becomes as expensive as a hard case, and for all but the gigging professional flightcases with great big knee-knocking / car paint scratching corners are heavy and overkill (IMO).

I think I've cracked it with this one - beautiful looking and made anodised aluminium, matching the Smorg silver / black astetics. And it weighs 1/3 less that the P*daltrain hardcase equivelant.

Ok, I wouldn't recommend it for touring pros but for most people's light gigging use I think it's ideal.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Could well be tempted by one in Candy Apple Red.

Would a tweedy yellow colour be possible? 

Just wondering if being able to match (ish) your amp colour would be a cool selling point.