Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Riverside on That Pedal Show

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
We shall see them put it through it's paces and hear a decent demo of it hopefully. I'll have to view later though :(
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Well 1 minute in:
    I clicked on last weeks show by mistake without realising and thought "that sounds sublime" was about to recalibrate my thoughts when it shot to the Kingsley preamps, oops.
    Clicked on today's show and the first few bars of the Riverside sound absolutely cack, just dreadful.

Oh well, let's plough on and see what we get, open mind honest.
  • dindude said:
    Well 1 minute in:
    I clicked on last weeks show by mistake without realising and thought "that sounds sublime" was about to recalibrate my thoughts when it shot to the Kingsley preamps, oops.
    Clicked on today's show and the first few bars of the Riverside sound absolutely cack, just dreadful.

Oh well, let's plough on and see what we get, open mind honest.
    Oh dear. I was hoping it would change my thoughts about it :(
  • Hmm not impressed.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5150
    I laughed when Dan mustered up a Fake 'oh wow' when Mick turned a knob..its not on my Christmas list  :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited December 2016
    Why are people writing it off before trying one? How it sounds on a demo video is not a true reflection of how it sounds when you're in the room with it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't seen it yet but I have to be honest all these drive pedals be it a Kingsley or a Carpe dium sound all the same on that YouTube show. Not their fault but you can't beat trying them on your own rig where it will change from rig to rig. 

Dan of the gigrig would agree with that too if you asked him in person  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Okay, well it doesn't sound that good on the video but......a while ago they had a JRAD Tim Pierce on the show and made it sound crap. I have one on my board and I think it's great sounding pedal. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Not many pedals sound good on youtube videos unless they're PGS ones.
    Those guys know how to produce good videos. Whether they're representative of the pedal demoed is another question.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    It's all relative, and relatively compared to other YouTube vids is sounds utter shite. Ah men.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17601
    tFB Trader
    I just watched.

Thought the Riverside sounded dull on lower gain and poor on higher gain. 

Even my wife commented it sounded "buzzy" and she normally says all pedals sounds the same.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Me too. I can't see myself buying one an I'm a Strymon fan. Mind you I like to get most of my diet from an amp anyway 
  • Mind you I like to get most of my diet from an amp anyway 
    That's really not healthy pal
    How very rock and roll
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mind you I like to get most of my diet from an amp anyway 
    That's really not healthy pal
    Lol bloody predictive text. Funny though :)
  • Why are people writing it off before trying one? How it sounds on a demo video is not a true reflection of how it sounds when you're in the room with it.
    Lol

Injured fanboy :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Those guys know how to produce good videos. Whether they're representative of the pedal demoed is another question.
    It should not be another question.  We do not want "good" demos we want representative demos, as much as possible, so that we can make buying decisions.  "Good" demos are just misleading and there are just too many of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    As a jack of all trades I thought it sounded ok, but I'd never buy it for a specific tone. I thought that all of the other pedals they compared it to sounded better at what they did, especially the OCD.  Plus for the price it cost you could get a couple of really good pedals to get you the tone you really want.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    jgmouton said:
    Sassafras said:
    It should not be another question.  We do not want "good" demos we want representative demos, as much as possible, so that we can make buying decisions.  "Good" demos are just misleading and there are just too many of them.
    That was kind of my point.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I just think any drive pedal is always going to be so uniquely variable in each different setup and situation, that judging how it will work for you by looking at a demo is nigh on impossible. Far more so than for delays, reverbs and mods.

Out of all the pedal categories, drive pedals (fuzz, OD, distortion, boost all included) are just so sensitive to all the other factors in the chain and demos are never going to tell the whole story...

For instance, are you using single coils or humbuckers? Are they active/hot or passive/low power? Clean amp, dirty or breakup? High wattage or low? Loud/gig level or quiet/home level? High input or low? Do you dig-in or play gently? What string gauge do you use? What style of music are you playing? Do you use your guitar volume or not? Do you primarily play lead or rhythm? Are you combining drives with other pedals? Buffered or true bypass? Loop or in front? All the time or just solos? For overt effects or subtle?...

Drive pedals are especially dynamic and how they 'sound' depends on the interactivity with and responsiveness of all the aforementioned factors in your setup and environment.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Everything is subjective and down to the player and what they use.

As an observation Mick is obviously a good player but he keeps using the same old licks every week. When he does most of the playing I find the show is less interesting
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Everything is subjective and down to the player and what they use.

As an observation Mick is obviously a good player but he keeps using the same old licks every week. When he does most of the playing I find the show is less interesting
    Nothing to do with Mick's playing but I must admit the show is losing its way for me a little. I'm finding it getting boring now and skip through it. I found it very informative when it all started over a year ago though. I guess there is only so much you can talk about this stuff