Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Riverside on That Pedal Show

What's Hot

Comments

• Some places slightly more. You do expect something a bit extra for that.

wayneirie said:
    Is it genuinely 290? wheres the crying laughing emoji when you need it. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited December 2016
    Some places slightly more. You do expect something a bit extra for that.

wayneirie said:
    Is it genuinely 290? wheres the crying laughing emoji when you need it. 

Absolutely you'd expect more, If I were to take that 290 I could buy most of the "classic" Drive pedals Secondhand. Or head off to ebay and probably find some funky low wattage amp. Or buy a nice Microphone or even eat and drink like a king for a day or three. I've got no problem with how people spend their money but is it 230 quid better than a tube screamer/klone/nobels/boss etc?
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I thought it sounded really average. I wouldn't buy it for £100 let alone £300. 

I know it's a subjective thing but I don't know who this pedal is aimed at. It's not a Klon type, it's not a TS type, nor High gain or anything in between. It's a non entity for me. 

Regarding that pedal show, I have bought a few bits to encourage and hope that they continue filming. I must admit that over the first 18 months it was massively informative and full of great ideas. For the last few weeks I've skipped through quite a few bits as it feels a little dragged out. Perhaps they should diversify into amps too and spend a bit of time talking about amplifiers. 
    Micks playing bothers me not one bit, they are both great players. If I spent approximately 35 hours watching any player play then I'd hear the same licks over and again.
  • I read on TGP that a few people think the Riverside is more of  marshall multi pedal from the colour, text font, styling etc and mainly the sounds. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I read on TGP that a few people think the Riverside is more of  marshall multi pedal from the colour, text font, styling etc and mainly the sounds. 
    It can do a MIAB, but it covers other very different tones as well, Klon klone, TS, OCD, higher gain pedals.
  • BumFaceBumFace Frets: 114
    I won't be trying this, and I agree that the demo was a bit lame.  I don't think they like it, but as they are big strymon fans, and all round nice geezers, I wouldn't exactly expect them to slate it either.

Something about digital distortion creeps me out. Strymon do some great things, hugely versatile pedals, but I had the Big Sky and the Mobius for a month, and I couldn't get anything out of them that blew me away. Maybe I didn't tweak the knobs enough, but it all sounded a bit too 'digital'. Couldn't get an accurate Phase 90 sound (maybe cos of the noise?) or a spring reverb sound that i really liked.

The Deco, on the other hand,  makes a telecaster put through two AC4's in 'stereo wide mode' sound absolutely amazing and that's digital, so f**k knows. Maybe it's my ears.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    BumFace said:
    I won't be trying this, and I agree that the demo was a bit lame.  I don't think they like it, but as they are big strymon fans, and all round nice geezers, I wouldn't exactly expect them to slate it either.

Something about digital distortion creeps me out. Strymon do some great things, hugely versatile pedals, but I had the Big Sky and the Mobius for a month, and I couldn't get anything out of them that blew me away. Maybe I didn't tweak the knobs enough, but it all sounded a bit too 'digital'. Couldn't get an accurate Phase 90 sound (maybe cos of the noise?) or a spring reverb sound that i really liked.

The Deco, on the other hand,  makes a telecaster put through two AC4's in 'stereo wide mode' sound absolutely amazing and that's digital, so f**k knows. Maybe it's my ears.
    Know what you mean about digital distortion, but I think it's getting there.  Certainly the last ax8 update was a BIG step forward. Not quite a warthog through a tube amp, but not far
    off. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    £290??????????????

And it sounds like that?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just based on what the demo sounded like to me (at 1080p through my Mac/PreSonus/monitors), then they couldn't get the Riverside to nail the OCD tones, and I didn't like what I did hear as much as I liked the OCD. But, as a million people have already said, that doesn't mean you won't get it to sound gorgeous in your own setup. 

The show itself is starting to lose me as a viewer. I enjoy the "how things work" shows much more than the product demo or shootout shows. Then, as previously stated, if you are going to demo a product, the actual sounds you get are always subjective and prospective users always need to try it on their own setup. What would be more useful is if they discussed the features and why they are important (or not) to guitarists. Andy at Pro Guitar Shop sets the bar here, I'm afraid - much as I like to hear Dan play (Mick not so much, sorry). 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    What's wrong with a fuckin tubescreamer I tell ya ? 
  • kjdowd said:
    BumFace said:

Know what you mean about digital distortion, but I think it's getting there.  Certainly the last ax8 update was a BIG step forward. Not quite a warthog through a tube amp, but not far
    off. 
    I think digital distortion is there and has been for some time now. I'm pretty sure the difference now is just psychological. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited December 2016

Unless wrapped up in a multi-fx unit, I genuinely don't see the point in digital overdrive / distortion. Delay/Reverb etc. totally get it, you can do things you just can't do with analog tech, but overdrive? Takes up less space? No. Sounds better? No, just different. Cheaper? no. Versatile? As it comes you can footswitch select two sounds, just like if you had two drive pedals then.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7414
    edited December 2016
    Then, as previously stated, if you are going to demo a product, the actual sounds you get are always subjective and prospective users always need to try it on their own setup.
    See, I think TPS does really well at showing how things behave through multiple amp types - and whether a pedal can be tweaked to work in different setups (fully clean, edge of breakup, dirty amp and wotnot)

PGS "just" gives you an impeccable performance sounding sublime. Every time. For every product. Through one amp set one way. Great for sales, less so for insight.

TPS works well because for every pedal it has made me lust after it has informed me that I needn't lust ofter a couple of others. 

e.g.  they compared JHS Charlie range with a Mk I Guv'nor (which I have and know) so I was well informed there. 

They are different shows, and amen to that. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Cork sniffers the lot of ye! 
  • TimmyO said:
    Then, as previously stated, if you are going to demo a product, the actual sounds you get are always subjective and prospective users always need to try it on their own setup.
    See, I think TPS does really well at showing how things behave through multiple amp types - and whether a pedal can be tweaked to work in different setups (fully clean, edge of breakup, dirty amp and wotnot)

PGS "just" gives you an impeccable performance sounding sublime. Every time. For every product. Through one amp set one way. Great for sales, less so for insight.

TPS works well because for every pedal it has made me lust after it has informed me that I needn't lust ofter a couple of others. 

e.g.  they compared JHS Charlie range with a Mk I Guv'nor (which I have and know) so I was well informed there. 

They are different shows, and amen to that. 
    Agreed. Each to his own taste. Doesn't make anyone "wrong". 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Cork sniffers the lot of ye! 

Damn tooting right.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2132
    Don't think it sounds that bad on the video tbh. 

But I do think that most TPS videos have a "sound" to them. Plenty of factors involved there, though. 
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    I think everyone here is - we're debating the pros and cons of a £300 drive pedal! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited December 2016
    BBBlues said:
    I think everyone here is - we're debating the pros and cons of a £300 drive pedal! 
    It was intended to be a tongue-in-cheek comment, and it was posted after a variety of beers.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom