Coated strings

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
I only just realised that people other than Elixir make them. Doh. 

I feel the need to sue coated strings as (as some folk here know) I have alien blood acid for sweat and can kill a set of strings stone dead in an hour if it's hot. 

I've put Nanowebs on my 000 but has anyone used the Martin coated strings - good ? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not tried the Martins but the Daddarios are ok and worth a go if you like the idea of coated 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4187
    edited December 2016
    Have tried the Martins and D'addarios - the martins long enough ago that I can't really remember what they sounded like. They didn't feel obviously coated like elixirs though. The D'addarios also feel like an non coated string and to my ears also sound pretty much like their non coated strings so if you like EJs you'll like EXPs I'd say.
  • I use D'Addario coated phosphor bronze - they last well and feel much more 'normal' than Elixirs to me (I've used Nanowebs and the original Polywebs when they first came out).
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    edited December 2016
    I used Elixirs for a while because my Taylor came with them. Nanowebs are better than Polywebs.

Then I tried D'Addario EXP - the windings are coated before they are wrapped around the core, as opposed to Elixirs where the whole string is coated. I don't think they last quite as long as a consequence but they feel better, sound better (more bass imho) and are marginally cheaper.

I've put a set of Martin Lifespan on one of my guitars and they're also pretty good. Feel more like EXPs than Elixirs, and quite a bright sound.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    sorry to hear that Tim, Monel was developed waaaay back to be corrosive resistant (Marine applications) - not for it's sonic qualities and surprise surprise - guitars / fretted and the like are the only stringed instruments that use it on - no violins, no pianos - speaks volumes (pun intended).
    Not rubbing it in - I can have a set on till they literally ware out, like I've said before, the better the qualaty of alloy the less time they last with 'devil sweat'.
    Look at diet. 
  • I have switched back to Elixir Nanowebs after using Martin Lifespan on my D28. While the Martins have an initially brighter tone than the Elixirs they dull fairy quickly and I was getting a metal smell/taste on my fingers after only a couple of weeks with the Martin Lifespan.

I find the Elixirs Nanoweb keep a constant tone for longer and have a lovely slinky feel to them.

Bloody expensive though at £15 a pop

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    I've used Elixirs for everything  for years, I love them.
    Far less squeaks, and  yes I have OK left-hand technique, but even with that, squeaks distract from the music.
    They don't sound over-bright when new, they don't get dull after a few days

I tried a set of DRs  last week, took them off after 3 days, yak
    Squeakly, and too bright
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Used Elixir for a couple of years, really like them. Not tried the D'Addario EXP16's yet.
    Just put on a set of Dragon Skins as they were on offer at my local shop - Guitar Sound in Chichester - not as sleek as the Elixir but sound pretty good.