Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    edited March 2016

This album. All day.

• Moss said:
    KEXP - quality - i've found loads of good stuff just surfing their video's on YT. 

• This. Totally supervise and massively ahead of its time....
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    The Coral's new album. I like it. It's a good return from the wilderness for them.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Black Sea - XTC. New discovery for me... but where have they been all my life? A good 25 great ideas in every song. Speechless.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    SLightly late I discovered that Levitation's last album, Meanwhile Gardens, has been re-released with Terry Bickers' vocals. Much better than that eejit they got in to replace him. Can't find it on Youtube but it's on Spotify:

Also on their bandcamp:

King of Mice is particularly good, but every track is better on the reissue than the original.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited March 2016
    Quite like the new Band of Skulls song: 

And a new discovery: The Record Company:

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    Sweet f(*&ing JESUS, the album I just linked to is absolutely FANTASTIC!!! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Yesterday me and a mate at work decided to listen to the first two ZZ Top albums... both are superb. Hadn't really listened to much of their older stuff, it's noticeably different and very cool. Great drumming and a superb bluesy sound.

"ZZ Top's First Album" and "Rio Grande Mud" - both are great, particularly liking the track "Just got Paid". How I've not been and listened to their early stuff before, I've no idea.

Today I'm going to work my way further through their 70s stuff. Tres Hombres sounds great from the first 3 tracks.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    andyp said:
    Yesterday me and a mate at work decided to listen to the first two ZZ Top albums... both are superb. Hadn't really listened to much of their older stuff, it's noticeably different and very cool. Great drumming and a superb bluesy sound.

"ZZ Top's First Album" and "Rio Grande Mud" - both are great, particularly liking the track "Just got Paid". How I've not been and listened to their early stuff before, I've no idea.

Today I'm going to work my way further through their 70s stuff. Tres Hombres sounds great from the first 3 tracks.
    Degeullo is great too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Aye, that's the next one my mate suggested too.

Wasn't too keen on Fandango and Tre Hombres went downhill a bit. These two reminded me why I'd never been too much of a ZZ Top fan - some great stuff and some duff stuff, but overall too up and down for me to really get into. When they're good, they're very good though.

Andy
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    andyp;1005604" said:
    Aye, that's the next one my mate suggested too.

Wasn't too keen on Fandango and Tre Hombres went downhill a bit. These two reminded me why I'd never been too much of a ZZ Top fan - some great stuff and some duff stuff, but overall too up and down for me to really get into. When they're good, they're very good though.

Andy
    There is an early Greatest Hits which predated their actual hits that and contained most of what you'd want from ZZ Top. But, yes, no really great albums and in later years the albums would really be two lead tracks and filler. I think El Loco was the last one were they were really trying to be interesting on every track but it won't be to everyone's taste.

Worth saying that there are remixed versions of most of the albums most of which are awful so try to listen to originals/ reissues of the originals. IIRC the remix of Brown Sugar, for example, shortens the intro and adds chorus to the guitar track. Bleuggh!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ok, cheers. I'll try and dig that up on my phone too. :)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    andyp;1005673" said:
    Ok, cheers. I'll try and dig that up on my phone too. :)
    El Loco is pretty much the transitional album between old ZZ Top and the commercial Eliminator period. I don't think anything on it ever made it into the regular live set. I guess if you see the Top as a blues band who did some diverse stuff you hate it, if you see them as a kind of art school band that happened to have a background in the blues you love it. Apparently never been remixed so everything swimming in chorus was intentional. But, it was the sound of the band stretching themselves certainly.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I always thought of them as cheesy rock - Sharp Dressed Man, Gimme All Your Lovin' etc. so the older stuff opened my eyes... eh, ears... to them a lot more. I like the Eliminator stuff but prefer the bluesy stuff to that.

I couldn't see the older Greatest Hits one. They have so many albums and versions of albums when you look them up.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I got a ZZ Top album boxset for not a lot of money last year...the early stuff is great but I do also like the Eliminator stuff in the car.

The versions on this aren't the remixed albums.

Just looked that up - £29.99 on Amazon. £11.99 for the first 5...

It's on my Wish List now. :)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2016
    andyp said:
    Just looked that up - £29.99 on Amazon. £11.99 for the first 5...

It's on my Wish List now. :)
    I think the 5 album box set has some of the remixed versions on....Rio Grande Mud gets mentioned in the reviews on Amazon as being the remix.....the one for £29.99 has the original mix. As I understand it after the success of Eliminator "they" went back and added reverb on the drums of a few earlier albums to make them sound more contemporary.