Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot
1868788899092»

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 10679
    One of Leicesters finest, Rival Consoles.

https://soundcloud.com/rivalconsoles
    Aye, the new record is splendid. That, Singularity by Jon Hopkins, and anything touched by Jon Spencer has been on the music player a lot recently. 
    I make Jeremy Paxman look like Fingermouse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 10679

Also, Sci-fi Lullabies by Suede, the b-sides collection. Damn I should have got this 20 years ago, I loved early Suede and was familiar with My Insatiable One but had not heard other b-sides. The Bernard Butler songs are just go good, as good if not better than some of the 'proper' album tracks, and that's saying something.  Incredible guitar player; I find it very very difficult to work out his parts. Not so sure about the songs post Butler; I've never really got into Suede post Bernard.

@MagicPigDetective When I saw Bernard on the McAlmont and Butler anniversary tour, I felt very pleased with myself as I'd taught myself how to play the first record and found I wasn't that wrong watching Bernard hammer them out. Whereas Johnny Marr is all about inventive chords and rhythmic picking, Bernard to me is about quite basic chords but finding lovely flourishes around those chords and when linking them together. Something like the twiddly bit in Yes (Watch the below thingy from about 3.40 onwards)

I'd recommend finding the Dog Man Star TAB book and going through that. Once you get an idea of how Bernard does it, it helps with all the stuff he's played on. 
    I make Jeremy Paxman look like Fingermouse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 356
    Last night I went to see EUROPE. They were excellent. John Norum is a phenomenal guitarist. In fact, the whole band are excellent musicians. Norum is severely underrated, as are Europe as a band... His playing is mind-boggling.

Admittedly, I'm a fan of all 3 'sides' of Europe.
    There's the early days... songs about ninjas and instrumental tracks with Norwegian titles...
    The glory days (The Final Countdown/Out of This World/Prisoners albums)
    And the latter days e.g. Start from the Dark, War of Kings...

They played a mixed set. The only albums they didn't call upon being Start From the Dark and Secret Society which is disappointing because I love Start From the Dark.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MossMoss Frets: 2402

Aye, the new record is splendid. That, Singularity by Jon Hopkins, and anything touched by Jon Spencer has been on the music player a lot recently. 
    Agreed on both Jon Hopkins and Rival Consoles

The new Daniel Avery is fantastic too and in a similar vein
    Stop crying, start buying
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 437
    edited May 24

Also, Sci-fi Lullabies by Suede, the b-sides collection. Damn I should have got this 20 years ago, I loved early Suede and was familiar with My Insatiable One but had not heard other b-sides. The Bernard Butler songs are just go good, as good if not better than some of the 'proper' album tracks, and that's saying something.  Incredible guitar player; I find it very very difficult to work out his parts. Not so sure about the songs post Butler; I've never really got into Suede post Bernard.

@MagicPigDetective When I saw Bernard on the McAlmont and Butler anniversary tour, I felt very pleased with myself as I'd taught myself how to play the first record and found I wasn't that wrong watching Bernard hammer them out. Whereas Johnny Marr is all about inventive chords and rhythmic picking, Bernard to me is about quite basic chords but finding lovely flourishes around those chords and when linking them together. Something like the twiddly bit in Yes (Watch the below thingy from about 3.40 onwards)

I'd recommend finding the Dog Man Star TAB book and going through that. Once you get an idea of how Bernard does it, it helps with all the stuff he's played on. 

Cool, thanks for the pointers, I need to dedicate some time to this and tune down to Eb.

My recent listens are new albums by Sleep, Perfect Circle, khruangbin, Manics, and The Hunter by Mastodon which I had manged to miss until last week. 

Want to check out Singularity and Stephen Malkmus’ new record 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 130
    Got my Nakamichi rolling again, quite enjoyed Bloodstone Unreal ,801 Live  first time listening..

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1330
    Lots of early Toto.
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2557
    Many hours of ambient sound to study to:

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2344
    Moss said:

Agreed on both Jon Hopkins and Rival Consoles

The new Daniel Avery is fantastic too and in a similar vein
    Do you think hes been listening to Aphex Twin? ;)
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4226

I don't always enjoy listening to them, but I seem to be in a Graveyard mood tonight.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 6786
    New Mocca Garden video. 

https://youtu.be/Pd7wAjg1xSw
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
  • valevale Frets: 613
    today i have been mostly listening to... a whole ton of late 70s early 80s new wavey things & this song prob got an instant replay, as it's such perfect cheeky alt pop.

& it also made me think how many national anthems (& mutations-mutilations of) get into songs. the beatles (all you need is love), hendrix (star spangled), sex pistols (god save), banshees ('deutschland uber alles' in their version of the lord's prayer).

this intro to this is the japanese national anthem, right?

what she said.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 214
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 521
    The Hyena Kill. Awesome band if you're into loud and aggressive, huge sound especially for a 2 piece.