Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    Yeah, I can see that to be honest. I'm a sucker for stuff like that though.

I've used my lunchtime productively today and saved Rhythmeen to my phone (Apple Music) but Mescalero isn't on there - Amazon have it a £5.99... so I could well be buying 3 more CDs shortly. As much as I joined up here at the start of last year for guitar advice, it's gold for music tips too - and costing me a fair bit in CDs. >:D< The combo of many like-minded folk and access to music streaming really is superb. :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry - meant to add...

I only really knew ZZ Top's Eliminator era sort of stuff (plus La Grange and the odd other track) until a few years ago but recently going back to the first few albums and now these has been very enlightening. I now find the Eliminator era stuff much less appealing, they've got a lot going on away from the big / famous hits.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6482
    andyp said:
    Sorry - meant to add...

I only really knew ZZ Top's Eliminator era sort of stuff (plus La Grange and the odd other track) until a few years ago but recently going back to the first few albums and now these has been very enlightening. I now find the Eliminator era stuff much less appealing, they've got a lot going on away from the big / famous hits.

Now that I do agree with , 100%. I find that run of albums they hit paydirt with - Eliminator/ Recycler/ Afterburner - to be much less enjoyable than the other parts of their career

"Paydirt"... great term!

:)

I've never got on well listening to the whole of Eliminator, but the big hits are good. I listened to Afterburner the other day just to see if I liked it any better now and I ended up turning it off having skipped every track after a few seconds each. It's very 80s sounding, and not in a good way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6482
    edited May 2016
    Prince's last two albums - HitnRun Phase 1 &2. The second one is the better one, imo
    What do you think of Prince & 3rdeyegirl ? 
    I quite enjoyed listening to that album. 
    It was a cool project. :) 

Honestly? I was excited by the idea of Prince doing a guitar-based album, as some of his guitar-centric songs are amongst my favourites of his (Peach, I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man, Chaos and Disorder etc) but I find 3rdeyegirl to be a bit lumpen and generic, and the fact they were dressed to look like extras from Mad Max didn't help.
     The incarnation of the NPG with Michael Bland on drums was way more ROCK than 3rdeyegirl.
    Interesting idea but as an album it left me cold.

Well, I ordered La Futura and Mescalero this morning... looking forward to blasting them in the car on the way home on Friday. :)
    I forgot to add...

Karnivool "Sound Awake" was a revelation when I listened to it last week. Tipped off by watching too many YouTube videos by the guys in Toska I guess. I'd never heard of them before but it's a really good album, my CD arrived yesterday for £7.99 on Amazon. :)

I didn't like Assymmetry too much but Themata is great... and £25 on CD. Ouch. One to watch for on Discogs I guess.

Andy
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    Took a long drive on Friday and listened to 3 Smiths albums - forgot how good they were! Today has mostly been Tom Waits... love me a bit of Tom :-)
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4136
    edited June 2016
    Shurman. New album East side of love. Sort of a cross between Steve Earle/GinBlossoms and the stones.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Days of future passed by The Moody Blues. Very interesting indeed - not what I was expecting at all. More classical pop than the beginnings of Prog as it's often described.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    It's nearly tax-time in Australia, end of financial year is drawing closer so the sales are starting up. 

Today I got Bryan Adams "Get Up!" and James Bay's album for $5 each. Happy with those purchases. I borrowed James Bay in the library aaaages ago, loved it.

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Pink Floyd much?

Stop crying, start buying
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Moss said:
    Pink Floyd much?

I rather like that.

Today, for me has been Stereolab /Nurse With Wound

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Moss said:
    Pink Floyd much?

I bought one of their albums a few years ago, under the mistaken impression they were a stoner metal band.

It's not bad at all, but I could do with it being a bit more doomy.

• glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    This is magical... Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) at his best... can't wait to see them in September at the Moseley Folk Fest (oh and Manchester too)

edited June 2016
    "Time" by Pink Floyd, from Dark Side of the Moon.

In the early hours of Saturday morning my wife gave birth to our first baby. As I was driving into the hospital car park at 2am this came on the local rock radio station. Goodness me talk about tension music much. We'd been told to expect a long labour so she'd told me I could go home for the night to go to bed for a couple of hours and come back when they did the next observations on her - fortunately things progressed much faster than they'd told us they would but my goodness how tense did this song make me feel especially in the darkness with the crazy storm and torrential rain?! 

EDIT: I don't even really like Pink Floyd. I can tolerate the well known songs. But I'm never going to forget this song now - ever!! How could I? Last song I heard before my first child is born and what a strange feeling it was! 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    @Octahedron Congratulations! 
    Congratulations! You truly will never forget that song. I remember holding our first son (now a Dad of two of them) when he was minutes old, while my wife was taken away for surgery for seemingly forever. It's not music related, but the radio was covering the rescue of the Chilean miners live for hours on end. I was frozen to the spot in a chair so never moved to change it, but I'll never forget it.

It would be so cool to have that moment tied to a song. The fact I can remember the miners thing shows that you will really will never forget that track.

Andy

Today's pick has to be "Acid Roulette", the new album by Scorpion Child. What a well done album of rock music. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28142
    andyp said:
    Karnivool "Sound Awake" was a revelation when I listened to it last week. 
    Agreed - and same feelings as you on the other two albums.

I gave up on the newest Steak Number Eight album, and am now giving Kylesa a go. It's not bad stuff.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom