Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone gig a Marshall JTM45

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Rowby1 said:
    My MJW is pretty much a JTM45 and it's great for gigging and takes pedals really well. 

Although mine has a pair of 6L6s not EL34s, I read somewhere recently that the first JTM45 prototype was 6L6 powered. However, because they were struggling to find a supply of 6L6s in the UK they modified the subsequent prototypes to use EL34s.
    Is that a specific model (Electra?), or a custom order?

I'm totally in love with my MJW.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    I would totally have gone down the MJW @martinw route as that's who's amps I currently use and love. 

"Please don't stop completely martin unless it's what you want and then stop but on occasion post me an amp" 
  • shaunm said:
    shaunm said:
    wellsyboy said:
    Get yourself a tone king royalist 
    Are they like a JTM45?
    I've just had a look at them and I don't really understand why I'd pay so much more for one of those than I would a Marshall JTM45. Largely the Marshall gets good reviews, build quality seems to be good, tone wise it is huge and as a pedal platform everyone seems to think it's up there as one of the best. I'm not saying it's not great, my findings are from YouTube alone. 

I guess my question would be what would I be getting extra for my money?
    Fair question - got JTM45 and Plexi voicings, iron man 2 line out etc etc - great if you can pick one up second hand - or like you say just get a JTM 45 and an attenuator - iron man 2 mini (fantastic). 
  • shaunm said:
    shaunm said:

try one at Coda and find out!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Rowby1 said:
    My MJW is pretty much a JTM45 and it's great for gigging and takes pedals really well. 

Although mine has a pair of 6L6s not EL34s, I read somewhere recently that the first JTM45 prototype was 6L6 powered. However, because they were struggling to find a supply of 6L6s in the UK they modified the subsequent prototypes to use EL34s.
    Is that a specific model (Electra?), or a custom order?

I'm totally in love with my MJW.
    It's an L6-40 so a switchable pre amp configuration between JTM45 and JMP50. I use pedals so the JTM pre works best for me.

Yes, @martinw builds great amps. If he does eventually carry on building I'd like another one.
  • 1974x could be the perfect thing for you...
    wellsyboy said:
    shaunm said:
    shaunm said:

try one at Coda and find out!
    If I lived closer I would, but then I'd also be divorced due to spending habits. 

I wasnt being deliberately daft with my question. I have  not tried a lot of the boutique versions of already great amps so I don't know what more I'm getting. Its not just tone kings, there are amps like the Carr sportsman that to me seem like a Princeton (which also get good reviews). 
    1974x could be the perfect thing for you...
    I love them but I just want a little bit more head room. Not loads, not Fender levels but just a little bit more than I get with my Tweed live (which is not very much).
  • I love jtm 45 amps. I tried one that was especially great at a theatre rehearsal recently (not mine but a friend's) and they said it had a little more headroom and a slightly less compressed sound because they plugged a solid state rectifier in. 

Great amps though, my favourite by a way. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960

Louder than a Dual Rec.
    Only if the Dual Rec wasn't working right or someone had set it (maybe the FX loop) wrong.

The JTM45 is a lovely amp, but it's really not all that loud… which is both good and occasionally bad. The Dual Rec can be crushingly loud if you want it to be, although I'd agree it doesn't have quite as much clean headroom as you might expect a 100W amp to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:

Louder than a Dual Rec.
    Only if the Dual Rec wasn't working right or someone had set it (maybe the FX loop) wrong.

The JTM45 is a lovely amp, but it's really not all that loud… which is both good and occasionally bad. The Dual Rec can be crushingly loud if you want it to be, although I'd agree it doesn't have quite as much clean headroom as you might expect a 100W amp to.
    How does the dual Rec compare to a 1959 slp volume wise?
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    A "proper" jtm45 will come with KT66 valves, Marshall started using EL34's on the JTM50's

This is a good site for those who want to nerd out on specs

http://www.marstran.com/Historic%20Data%20Base.htm

JTM45 have huge bass, normally for drive tones the bass has to be turned down to stop the farting out, or you can get the bass tightened up in the circuit by a competent tech... think back in black album
    shaunm said:

How does the dual Rec compare to a 1959 slp volume wise?
    Quite similar when both are fully cranked, although the SLP is more dynamic, and - probably surprisingly - goes louder clean. The Mesa will start to mush up sooner. The Marshall will have the overall edge for sheer volume though, even with comparable levels of distortion and similar EQ (ie similar sound, rather than the same control settings). Most people would never use the Mesa like that though, the 'characteristic' sound tends to limit the volume because it has so much more bottom-end and less mid.

For any practical purposes it really makes no difference though - you'll never be able to use a fully-cranked, unattenuated SLP at almost any gig these days unless you're a full-on rock star.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    A "proper" jtm45 will come with KT66 valves, Marshall started using EL34's on the JTM50's

JTM45 have huge bass, normally for drive tones the bass has to be turned down to stop the farting out, or you can get the bass tightened up in the circuit by a competent tech... think back in black album
    Didn't some early examples ship with 5881s, the same valves as the reissues? 
    p90fool said:

Yes, the very earliest ones did.

Back In Black wasn't done with a JTM45… http://www.woodytone.com/2011/07/29/more-acdc-deets-recording-amps-gear/

tFB Trader
    @p90fool said:
    That's why I linked to that data page, look at the far right column, a good bit of variation, but mostly KT66's in the JTM45's
    ICBM said:
    Yes and he used/uses EL34's
    My point was you need the bass tightened up in the JTM45 to get into that ballpark.
    Modulus_Amps said:

My point was you need the bass tightened up in the JTM45 to get into that ballpark.
    You mean you need EL34s, different transformers, a solid-state rectifier and a different preamp circuit :).

It's always seemed odd that people think the BIB sound is a JTM45, or even a Plexi. The reason it's tighter and brighter is because it's a 70s JMP! Quite likely a 2204 or 2203, which are in the photos too - it's always sounded like one to me, not like the older non-MV models.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    The original JTM 45s used 5881s.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    tFB Trader
    @ICBM said:
    Modulus_Amps said:

You mean you need EL34s, different transformers, a solid-state rectifier and a different preamp circuit :).

It's always seemed odd that people think the BIB sound is a JTM45, or even a Plexi. The reason it's tighter and brighter is because it's a 70s JMP! Quite likely a 2204 or 2203, which are in the photos too - it's always sounded like one to me, not like the older non-MV models.
    This is a bit off topic from the original JTM45 post, but I was speaking to someone in his camp about this last week, the current preferred studio amps are modded to be tighter in a variety of ways and that they are non master - 4 input amps, however the road amps are modded to 2203/2204 type circuits, so make of that what you will. I am going to build one off the notes I got, so we will see how well that turns out.

I have never really researched BIB to any depth, but there are a number of youtube videos of cranked JTM45 with SG's sounding pretty nice though, I thought anyway.
    The photo's on the page you linked to looks like a non-master JMP 1987/1959 circa 1976+ in all three photo's, The amp on top in the middle photo looks like a mid 70's 2203.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    ICBM said:

Louder than a Dual Rec.

Having owned a few of each, I can attest to this completely. 100% accurate throughout. Couldn't have put it better myself.