Gibson Hummingbirds - what's the deal ?

What's Hot
Does anyone have any experience with Gibson Hummingbirds ?

Specifically old ones vs new ones, and which models are the ones to go for and avoid.

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm looking to try one of these in the New Year so I too would be also be interested to hear from Hummingbird owners.
  • The "True Vintage" ones are meant to be really special, but honestly I've never found any Hummingbird that I've loved (and I've tried every one I've come across in the last few years). 

I bought a Dove though!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Only ever played one. Hated it. Could have been a shoddy set up though
  • In my quest for a decent short scale acoustic, I tried a good few of the latest models - including the latest 'vintage' version (which is quite a lot more expensive than the std ones). None of them did it for me. Sounded fairly ordinary. 2016 Vintage version of a J45 won the day for me. Probably just down to the variability of Gibson acoustics (and most acoustics)... just didn't find a resonant Hummingbird - at any price. That said, there must be some out there. The key is to try lots... until you find 'the one'.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    The "True Vintage" ones are meant to be really special
    I can vouch for this
  • When I tried a couple I was a bit underwhelmed but I kept going back and they grew on me and had to get 1, to be honest it was in dire need of a good setup,i also had the nut and bridge redone in bone and a little fret work, and now I always pick it up in preference to my j45  it sounds quite compressed when new but is opening up beautifully now and lovely to play hmm
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    The "True Vintage" ones are meant to be really special, but honestly I've never found any Hummingbird that I've loved (and I've tried every one I've come across in the last few years). 

I bought a Dove though!
    A few years ago I did some recording using my Dove, but for one song I wanted a different sound so I borrowed the studio owner's Hummingbird, which I really liked.

After we'd finished I listened to the tracks at home, and had to call the studio to ask if I could go back and re-record that track with the Dove… it was just that much better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I love mine, tried 3 2016 models and bought a 2015 one, it just sounded better. The 2016 were all good, the 2015 was very very good
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom