Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Before I go and spend £300...

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
edited December 2016 in FX
I recently sent back the Strymon Riverside. Not because I didn't like it (very much the opposite), but because I broke my rule of not buying gear on plastic. I have Xmas money and a couple of pedals for sale, but here's the thing...

At the moment, I have the Fairfield Comp>Dr Scientist The Elements (using the low-gain/Cleanness side of things)>Friedman OD>Wampler Tumnus>Timeline>Space.

Now I've been playing around with Tumnus, and it is sublime, cuts through beautifully, gorgeous OD, and I don't want to let this one go. Is there another OD I can stack with it for medium gain sounds? Before I go and spend £300 on the Riverside, is there something else I could do here?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Timmy and Morning Glory would both fit that bill. Quite a broad question though what sort of tone are you after?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I used to like my Archer stacked with my Morning Glory.

I regret selling the MG.
  • Timmy and Morning Glory would both fit that bill. Quite a broad question though what sort of tone are you after?
    Punkish medium gain, Stooges "I Wanna Be Your Dog", "Modern Life Is Rubbish" era Graham Coxon, Twilight Sad "Cold Days In The Birdhouse" (when it kicks in)... pretty disparate tones, I know, but a few examples of the kind of sounds I'd like (amp is a 65 DRRI, by the way).
  • Yeah, a Timmy kind of pedal is good with a Klone.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Thorpy peacekeeper 
    has more gain on tap than you might thing and the EQ is brilliant- best pedal iv bought this year hands down 
    Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Along the Morning Glory vein I'd look at a Snouse Blackbox. It just so happens I have one for sale ;)

I'm only selling as I have two! I absolutely can't say enough about it; and stacking it with an Archer sounds awesome - the Tumnus will probably be even better.
  • Along the Morning Glory vein I'd look at a Snouse Blackbox. It just so happens I have one for sale ;)

I'm only selling as I have two! I absolutely can't say enough about it; and stacking it with an Archer sounds awesome - the Tumnus will probably be even better.

Interesting. Isn't there a V2 of this pedal as well that's just come out?
  • How about a Boss BD 2 Waza?
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited December 2016
    There is; another reason I'm selling one. Theres a standard like the video I showed you (i have an MXR size one, not the mini) then theres the Overdrive 2 which has a FET boost before the circuit you dial in (i also have one of these!) and THEN theres the Version 2 of the Overdrive 2, which has dip-switchable modes to go between classic Blackbox tones, Overdrive 2 tones, and also as just a clean boost. If that makes sense!

Unsurprisingly, I have the new one on its way to me. I plan on using one as a boost and the other as a drive - but I don't need 3!
  • There is; another reason I'm selling one. Theres a standard like the video I showed you (i have an MXR size one, not the mini) then theres the Overdrive 2 which has a FET boost before the circuit you dial in (i also have one of these!) and THEN theres the Version 2 of the Overdrive 2, which has dip-switchable modes to go between classic Blackbox tones, Overdrive 2 tones, and also as just a clean boost. If that makes sense!

Unsurprisingly, I have the new one on its way to me. I plan on using one as a boost and the other as a drive - but I don't need 3!

The version 2 sounds like it would be of interest.
  • https://snouse-electric-company.myshopify.com/collections/pedals

Looks like they've sold out - they've been selling them for $99 as an introductory offer so i'm not surprised.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

ThorpyFX Gunshot or Peacemaker?

They stack great

• peteri said:

ThorpyFX Gunshot or Peacemaker?

They stack great

The Peacemaker looks like it would stack with the Tumnus very well, and its EQ would come in very handy.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Good shout - I think the EQ on the Peacemaker is my favourite of the ThorpyPedals.

Easy to understand and very powerful in a good way

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    How about a Boss BD 2 Waza?
    Picked one up on here and love it. Stacks v well. I'm using it with a warthog and together they cover pretty much gain sound I need. 
  • kjdowd said:
    Picked one up on here and love it. Stacks v well. I'm using it with a warthog and together they cover pretty much gain sound I need. 
    Reckon it would pair well with a Tumnus.
  • Behringer UD300
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    kjdowd said:
    Reckon it would pair well with a Tumnus.
    Think so. Not tried it with anything similar but seems to stack well. Never really been a boss pedal guy but picked it up on here for the home board and v impressed. 
  • Nobels odr-s all day long. 

I can lend you one if you like so it costs you fudge all to try?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Nobels odr-s all day long. 

I can lend you one if you like so it costs you fudge all to try?

That's a very kind offer, thanks.