Anyone tried AMT solid state amps yet?

What's Hot
ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
A parallel to the "solid state valves" discussion:
Has anyone tried the AMT Stonehead amps?
Surely, if they are trying to recreate valves in solid state form they must have tried to recreate the sound/behaviour of valve amps in their model.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd love to try one. Ugly bugger though isn't it?

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    It looks ok in a "very-old-pa-amp" sort of way. :D
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26461
    Fred Brum's (you may or may not have heard of him...short hairy foreign dude, has a great album out, plays guitars with too many strings) got one, and he loves it. From what I've heard of the demos, it's pretty amazing. The 50W one actually puts out as much noise as you'd expect from a 50W valve amp.

I'd imagine it's got a customised 4-channel version of their preamp pedals in front of a fairly pokey output section. I've got the Cornford-alike pedal...if that's anything to go by, the Stonehead has to be pretty great.
    <space for hire>
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Thanks for the info, Lee. :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    I'm pretty sure in saying the only way to get one on the UK is via Thomann. So quite a rare beast in thhe UK I would think.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I think they look fantastic, especially the green one. I'm glad they don't look traditional - I find it really ridiculous when a solid-state amp apes the look of a valve head to the point it has a cloth-fronted wood box with enough space inside to house the valves... and nothing in it.

It is frustrating they're so hard to get here - I would really like to try one... I'm just not quite brave enough to order a new one.

The solid-state valves do look extremely interesting too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 106
    I've been toying with the idea of a stone head for ages now, and in the d decided that the money would be better put towards a Kemper. It's refreshing to see a decent solid state amp being made and the prospect is pretty sweet. I love the look of it too, it's got war sounds written all over it! I saw a demo and the crunch channel seemed incredible from as far as I could tell from a YouTube video.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I was just looking at these the other day and very very close to ordering one - but the looks really put me off -   I know that's a bit shallow but if they made one that would look nicer sitting on a cab I'd have been closer to getting it.
    The clips I've heard are fantastic for a solid state amp.
  • I think they're the coolest looking amps since...

Well, most amps don't look cool. They look tame, for the most part (don't get me wrong tweed is nice, but it ain't cool!)

I'd love to try one, but they're rare and quite expensive for a cheapo like me (considering a used bandit, but not sure if I can splurge without selling the mooer!).

The demos seem to show it is capable of cleans, breakup, crunch and all out mayhem, as well as "that" current metal tone (djent). So I'm interested but poor, as ever :D
    Plus they arrive in a wooden crate from Russia which is incredible for your street cred! I understand people's objections to the looks though, it wouldn't suit every bands back line
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013
    Remember they come in black, too (I think the original pics were of the green chassis).

For what it's worth...if I ever move away from Jet City amps, the Stonehead is going to be top of my list for an alternative.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I really like the look of it, but all the videos seem to focus on teh brootalz.
  • Yes I've seen loads of Djent demos - a sound I absolutely hate.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    If you skip to half way in this vid the chap gets some nice low gain sounds. 
    Not spanky enough for me, but pretty nice. 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    For some reason it really reminds me of the Roland Cube. I think it's the knobs!
    Ooooo....some nice stuff in there. Some of those are much closer to my live sound. Hmmmmm.

Hmmmmmm.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited August 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    For some reason it really reminds me of the Roland Cube. I think it's the knobs!
    It doesn't remind me of the Roland Cube at all. It sounds good.

;)

I'm not put off that it's designed and marketed as a 'metal' amp - I already use an amp mostly perceived as a metal amp (Mesa Rectifier really - the Trem-o-verb is just a Dual Rec with tremolo and reverb) for clean and low-gain sounds. One of the best nearly-clean sounds it has is on the Modern High-Gain channel with the gain turned right down!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited December 2013
    Sorry for the necro bump, but thought it may be of interest to a few guys on here who I know have been talking about the Stonehead - I bought one off of ebay for a decent price a few days ago, a black one second hand so hopefully should arrive at work in a day or too. I'll update once it has, probably try gigging it Friday if all is well as we have a pub gig that nees some jangly cleans, crunch and some heavyish distortion so it could fit the bill well.

In the meantime please head to the Classifieds where I currently have a Nova System and Behringer FCB1010 for sale to fund said amp and keep Mrs ragingben happy!
  • Thanks, Ben, looking forward to your review. :)
  • Looks ace for £447 from Thomann! I may take a punt under their 30 day returns policy!