Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Berlin lorry attack

What's Hot
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38373867

As a regular visitor to Germany my heart goes out to those affected by this. Just horrible.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Oh no :-( Always found Berlin a lovely city with great people. Very sad news.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I spent time in Nuremberg..Lovely People.
    My thoughts are with the Nation
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    My sister in law is staying at the Berlin Zoo hotel right now. Luckily she wasn't at the market at that time.

The whole place is obviously chaotic
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    And only hours after the Russian ambassador to Turkey, being shot dead.
  • Awful. I loved my time in Berlin, such a wonderful place. 
  • Terrible news. So shocking. To think innocent people out doing Christmas shopping and not coming home...... so sad. These tragedies are becoming so common. Its important not to become complacent or desensitised.  
  • Grim indeed :(

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• This has been a very bad day indeed.
  • It's all just so bloody miserable. My sister was there for the xmas markets last weekend. thoughts to all those affected. 
  • Just all kinds of fucked up.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • I find it really hard to keep my faith in the inherent decency of human beings in the face of news like this and the majority of sh*t we've had to wade through in recent years......

In fact thinking on it - I was going to say 'the sh*t we've had to wade through in the last year' -  but that's not really right is it? I am 36 - seems to me things have been going down hill since 9/11?

That's probably wrong as well though..... are we hard wired for crappy behaviour.....
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Is this a repeat of Nice on Bastille Day?  Best wishes to all affected.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Nitefly said:
    Is this a repeat of Nice on Bastille Day?  Best wishes to all affected.
    It certainly seems so.
  • They've just confirmed that the truck was stolen from Poland and Polish driver got killed - body has been found in the lorry. If that's true it can be a spark for already very tense situation within Polish nationalists. 
    Suspect was registered as a refugee on February this year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Terrible news. So shocking. To think innocent people out doing Christmas shopping and not coming home...... so sad. These tragedies are becoming so common. Its important not to become complacent or desensitised.  
    But equally it's important not to let them change our way of life. That's what they want.

While it's tragic for the victims and their families and friends, it's also important to remember how *few* - not how many - people have ever been killed by terrorism, and be prepared to not be afraid to go out to public places, while remaining alert. It's a difficult balance, but I think we largely get it right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I find it really hard to keep my faith in the inherent decency of human beings in the face of news like this and the majority of sh*t we've had to wade through in recent years......

In fact thinking on it - I was going to say 'the sh*t we've had to wade through in the last year' -  but that's not really right is it? I am 36 - seems to me things have been going down hill since 9/11?

That's probably wrong as well though..... are we hard wired for crappy behaviour.....
    According to a John Simpson programme last night, worldwide  terrorist murders have went down since the 70s but has started to rise again. 

The worry I've got is what chances do the security forces have to stop this type of thing? Atleast when it's a group of people conspiring to build a bomb or hijack  planes there is almost certainly going to be a trail*.  If it's just a one man band with no previous links to terrorism stealing a lorry what actually can be done?

*I must say though, it does blow my mind how they can even catch guys like that! 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Anyone heard from @Loobs ?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Try to get some perspective. Sure, it's tragic but in the same day there would have been many, many more deaths from construction industry accidents or drug use or asthma attacks.

There are 7 billion people in the world - if you let the actions of one of them adjust your perception of humanity by more than a three-and-a-half-billionth then you are screwing up the world as you see it more than that guy is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4945
    The German police arrested the suspect. In France he probably would be dead. Here he would be out on bail having been granted free legal aid...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I find it really hard to keep my faith in the inherent decency of human beings in the face of news like this and the majority of sh*t we've had to wade through in recent years......

Try to get some perspective. Sure, it's tragic but in the same day there would have been many, many more deaths from construction industry accidents or drug use or asthma attacks.

There are 7 billion people in the world - if you let the actions of one of them adjust your perception of humanity by more than a three-and-a-half-billionth then you are screwing up the world as you see it more than that guy is.

This.  

The world that we live in is defined by the media - it's not their fault, but events like this are sensationalised by the press, and become more than they are, although obviously tragic.

It's not going away any time soon, either.  Think about it and look around you now.  How hard would it be for you as an individual to create an horrific scene of carnage right now?  I'm thinking not that hard at all...
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/