Fender type heads.

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
edited December 2016 in Amps
Why are there so few Fender type heads made? They all seem to be combos.

Some time next year I'm planning on buying something to fill the blackface gap in my life. I'd be looking for a head though as I have no space for a combo in my studio/man cave. Looking around there seem to be very few blackface heads. Loads of options if you're looking for Vox or Marshall types.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Dr Z EZG. Be patient they do come around every so often. Check eBay, Gumtree and of course here 
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I think the VHT special  6 is based on a fender champ. You can get it in head format but is limited  to just volume and tone control. The ultra version has a few more control options. They sound great.  
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    Fender did make a Deluxe Reverb head a few years back. It looks like some places still stock them as well if it has to be Fender.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    hywelg said:
    Dr Z EZG. Be patient they do come around every so often. Check eBay, Gumtree and of course here 
    Yes, clocked that one. Quite a weighty beast though apparently, not that weight would necessarily rule it out of course.

kreggs said:
    I think the VHT special  6 is based on a fender champ. You can get it in head format but is limited  to just volume and tone control. The ultra version has a few more control options. They sound great.  
    Not spotted that one, will investigate. Thanks.

agibbo said:
    Fender did make a Deluxe Reverb head a few years back. It looks like some places still stock them as well if it has to be Fender.
    Doesn't have to be Fender but that's about the only current option if I was fixed on it being Fender. Wonder how easily it'd be moded to blackface specs?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    Fender do a DRRI, and various Supersonic Heads. 

I find it surprising that there aren't more Fender voiced heads. 
    MJW do the Electra Twang which I think is a Fendery voiced head (though they aren't available new at the moment).
    Despite being an EL34 based amp the H&K Puretone is very Fendery and is something close to the perfect pedal platform in my eyes.
    @monquixote  As an MJW owner already the Twang would have been my preferred option. What are the Supersonics like tonally? Need to look into that really. H&K Puretone is one I know you rate highly but are they available anymore? Or would it be a case of keeping my eyes open for a used one?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    The supersonics are nice amps. The clean channels are much as you expect the gain channels are quite smooth and compressed (more lead than rhythm)

The 22 I had, had too many design flaws to whole heartedly recommend it.

The puretone is not made anymore, but they are beans secondhand. They are bloody loud though so you might want an attenuator.
  • There was a s/h supersonic 60 head in Boston Roadhouse Music... can't recall the price but I seem to remember it being reasonable 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Silverface fender heads come up on eBay fairly regularly. 
    bbill335 said:
    Yes, they do hence my additional question about modifying them to blackface specs. Anyone any thoughts on that?
    edited December 2016

There was a s/h supersonic 60 head in Boston Roadhouse Music... can't recall the price but I seem to remember it being reasonable 

Can't see it on there website but I'm not in a position to buy just yet though. Thanks for the heads up anyway.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Rowby1 said:
    bbill335 said:
    Yes, they do hence my additional question about modifying them to blackface specs. Anyone any thoughts on that?
    The earlier they are, the closer to BF they are and easier to convert. I'm not sure I'd necessarily bother BFing a good SF. I'd be more inclined to mod one channel for a tweed/marshall voice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    bbill335 said:
    Rowby1 said:
    bbill335 said:
    The earlier they are, the closer to BF they are and easier to convert. I'm not sure I'd necessarily bother BFing a good SF. I'd be more inclined to mod one channel for a tweed/marshall voice. 
    Okay, yes, fair point. 

If I bought a Fender head I'd probably live with it for a while before thinking about moding it anyway.
  • A lot of the SF amps sounded better than BF models. 
    It was mainly Twin and Pro that changed so much and maybe the Super, but I've had both SF and BF models of most of Fender stuff, and not a huge difference up until 76 that I could hear. 
  • second the Dr. Z EZG 50. Its a heavy bastard, but oh man its good.
  • Russell from Band of Skulls rocks a Vibroking head, I believe, and it sounds terrific. 

The Supersonic is a nice amp but I've heard much about reliability issues. 

Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 fat channel sounds pretty Fender to my ears. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I've said it before i can't understand why Fender don't do the Hot Rod Deluxe as a head I'd have one tomorrow if they did.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    The Fender AB763 circuit design is the classic Fender clean amp sound, it was used in many classic Fender amps.

Deluxe Reverb
    BandMaster
    Twin
    SuperReverb
    VibroVerb
    Tremolux

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • Boogie Express 5.25+ covers a lot of ground.
  • Try speaking to Chris at Rift Amps.