Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any mini compressor recommendations - pref cheap

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The accountant appeals to me - I've struggled to setup compressors in the past and the simplicity (as well as sounds) make it attractive. 

That said, given that I've sold on about 15 different compressors in the past maybe I should just accept they're not for me... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another big fan of The Accountant. Have shouted about it from day 1, and slowly but surely our numbers are growing. Beautiful pedal that just does all the things you want it to and makes all you put through it sound better for it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Marshall Edward the compressor if you want cheap. Its great

if you are spending more I would go empress 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

The empress is the very opposite of small though 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    The breakthrough I had with compressors was the realisation that they work best for me quite late on in the effects chain, always after dirt. Once I'd settled on this, I revisited a range of pedals with this on board. Favourites so far on this journey are; Mooer yellow compressor, because it does a lot for an inexpensive micro pedal and does it well. It also doubles as a decent clean boost on my Pedaltrain Nano board. My other favourite I've had for a few years now is a Juan Solo Corset Compressor which is a Rothwell Love Squeeze clone. I ab'd the Rothwell with it and sold the Love Squeeze on. Still looking but mostly content with these two but, still intrigued by the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone micro, Cali Slide Rig jobbies and Fairfield Accountant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

The empress is the very opposite of small though 
    You assume I read the criteria before I post :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    If the the yellow mower one is anything like the Diamond one (it's supposed to be a very close clone), then I can't recommend it enough.

I love the Diamond one, it's the best one I've ever had, and I've had all of them.
    "Supposed to be" is a long way from the reality. The Mooer is a good pedal for the price but it is not up to the Diamond. 
    Really? Pretty much all the things I've read about it (on TGP of all places) have said it's near enough identical - what makes it not up to the Diamond? 
  • Sassafras said:
    If you can find any mini clones of Orange Squeezer types, they work well for your intended purpose. 
    If you're up to building a kit, both BYOC and Pedalparts (Poodle) sell 1590a Orange Squeezer clones. Smaller enclosures make for a more fiddly build though...
    I went through a bunch of cheaper compressors (EHX Soul Preacher, Mooer Yellow, Visual Sound) before finally building a fuzzdog/poodle Orange Squeezer kit (the full size one).  If his mini-build is the same as the standard, I can't recommend it highly enough.  There are mods out there (a cap change or two) to brighten the OS...I put mine on a toggle and get some fantastic sounds out of it in both the normal and bright positions.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Does that one have the internal mini-trimmer to adjust the amount of compression?
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421

• Sassafras said:
    Does that one have the internal mini-trimmer to adjust the amount of compression?
    It's part of the standard Orange Squeezer circuit (to do with variations inherent in the type of transistors used I think) so it should do.

As I understand it, there's very little useable range in that control- below a certain level it doesn't work, then there's a small window where it does, then it starts to distort in a way that not everyone likes, hence why most OS clones leave it as a trimpot.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Sassafras said:
    It's part of the standard Orange Squeezer circuit (to do with variations inherent in the type of transistors used I think) so it should do.

As I understand it, there's very little useable range in that control- below a certain level it doesn't work, then there's a small window where it does, then it starts to distort in a way that not everyone likes, hence why most OS clones leave it as a trimpot.

Mine's got one of those box type trimmers which allows quite a lot of control.
    Seems to work very well for anything from no compression to heavy squish.
    It's nice when it starts to compress very slightly just to even out string balance.
    The other flat type of trimmers are all or nothing and very hard to set accurately as you say.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Anyone tried the tc hypergravity ? 
  • The Mooer yellow does a good imitation of my diamond cpr1, in terms of what the OP asked, the yellow is a no brainer