Question for Fryette Power Station owners..

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
Do you have issues of high frequency 'farting' with breaking up amps running 6L6, KT66, 6V6s?

I do! 

I have 2 Power Stations and I've really been around the houses trying different amps, guitars, speakers, cables etc etc and it simply seems to be an issue with power tetrodes - no issues with EL34 or EL84s

This is from a survey of around 15 amps - Pentodes, good. Tetrodes bad.

I have an amp that can take any of the Octals and it's fine with pentode and has this really annoying buzzy noise with the tetrodes. In fact, I've tried 2 of these amps too - same thing!

Given all of the above, It really can't be just me?

Fryette aren't interested (their Customer Service isn't the best)

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited December 2016
    That suggests a valve-type characteristic rather than an issue with the Powerstation doesn't it?
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    That suggests a valve-type characteristic rather than an issue with the Powerstation doesn't it?
    Most likely an mismatch of the dynamic impedance of the reactive load section of the Power Station and the power valves, but I'm curious as to why nobody else has an issue with it?

..feeling a little like one of those crazies who thinks their fillings are picking up FM radio
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's not how I use it 
    I just use them and two mono power amps for the Helix so not a comparative test
    can you give me a couple of examples of amps your having issues with. I'm bound to have one of them .. :)
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    @Cabicular - seen issues with Tweeds and also BF type circuits as examples

On amps which can handle multiple output valve types, there's an issue with 6L6, 5581, KT66, but not EL34s - e.g. 2 identical amps, 2 power stations and same cabs and cables.

Issue is more prevalent with HBs and when attack is pushing the amp into OD with power chords 

cheers

Baz