Switch on , speaker thud.

robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
All the dials are at zero, I switch the amp on and get a thud from the speaker.
Is this a sign of a failing cap? DC offset? Normal?
This happens with the volume at zero.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    Normal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I get that on my Tech 21 Trademark.
    Doesn't seem to have hurt it and I've had it for years.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    Is it DC in the audio path? I've only ever fettled hifi amps before.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1624
    edited December 2016
    robgilmo said:

Many hi fi amps have a protection system that consists of a relay in the speaker circuit. This delays connection for a second or two and is often associated with a DC offset sensing circuit. Later, more sophisticated designs can have slow rampup PSUs.

No such niceties in the guitar world! (make and model of amp please? IC says I gotta ask!) but then guitar/bass speakers are much more rugged than hi fi cones.

Might be worth slapping a DMM across the speaker terms? If the offset is more than 10mV I would investigate it. Maplin USED to do a delay/protection device, will have a varder. If it bothers you a delay relay is easy to implement or you could just have a 5A swtich in the speaker circuit. http://www.velleman.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p240.html  ; Maplin no longer do it seems.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    As long as the transient doesn't make the speaker cone exceed its safe travel then it does no harm, it's just annoying - or useful, if you like confirmation that the amp has powered up properly!

Almost all solid-state amps do it to some extent unless they have a suppression circuit (often relay operated, or in a power chip) because it's usually caused by DC offset as the supply rails power up unevenly, which they nearly always do.

Some valve amps do it by magnetic coupling between the PT and the OT, so it will still happen even if the standby is on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ecc83 said:
    robgilmo said:

Many hi fi amps have a protection system that consists of a relay in the speaker circuit. This delays connection for a second or two and is often associated with a DC offset sensing circuit. Later, more sophisticated designs can have slow rampup PSUs.

No such niceties in the guitar world! (make and model of amp please? IC says I gotta ask!) but then guitar/bass speakers are much more rugged than hi fi cones.

Might be worth slapping a DMM across the speaker terms? If the offset is more than 10mV I would investigate it. Maplin USED to do a delay/protection device, will have a varder. If it bothers you a delay relay is easy to implement or you could just have a 5A swtich in the speaker circuit. http://www.velleman.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p240.html  ; Maplin no longer do it seems.

Dave.

Actually there are plenty of guitar / bass amps with output muting relays, although I agree it's not common.

Hi-fi punters are more fussy about extraneous pops I guess.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2084
    I don't mind a little thud. 

Makes me think "aaaannnnddd CONTACT!" 

Time to melt faces, dawg!