Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Minimal pedal board - money no object

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
So, here's a question I'm playing with at the min. Assuming you're turning up to gigs to use whatever amp is already there (knowing only that it will be loud enough), what's the least number of pedals you'd be happy with?

I'm thinking it's compressor, distortion/od and boost (plus a tuner).

Now, I'd argue with the right pedals, that would cover you in most styles - a pro session player could make that work for any situation (I'd guess).

I know some styles require a certain pedal (say slap back delay for certain country styles for example), but what pedals would you choose?

I'm trying out a few for this very purpose at the min (Carl Martin hot drive and boost and Dyna Comp, as well as trying a Wampler Pinnacle (incoming) and Plextortion (arrived today). I've heard good things about the Diamond compressor too.

My current guess would be Diamond compressor, Wampler Pinnacle deluxe and a clean boost of some sort. I'd definitely say "amp in a box" is the way to go...

What do you guys think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd definitely need some delay. I have a trex moeller OD which has a built in boost so that's one pedal for the price of two. So I guess I could basically get by on those two if I used a clip on tuner! ;-)
    How very rock and roll
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    edited January 2014
    What I currently us is as follows: tuner, zvex fat fuzz factory, boss dd7. Huge range of sonic fun to be had with it once you know the pedals inside out.
  • I'd get a blackstar ht metal, tc repeater and q tron.

That would easily get me through a gig. Maybe a reverb, but I don't use one at the minute...

I really am tempted by a ht metal pedal. Might start a thread.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I could work with just a delay and good distortion.

Ds2>dl-8 

This in on the basis that the amp has reverb.

To tune up ill use a snark headstock tuner
    :)

• Very minimum, tuner and a Rat. Give me a few more inches and I'd whap a EHX DMM in there for fun. Trimming my pedals down to a tuner and distortion was the best thing I done when I was gigging.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I've just 'gone minimal' myself. I use a Morley George Lynch, Pitchblack Poly and TS9, with an NS2, Ibanez DE7 and Boss EQ in the loop. This, with the amp's reverb/footswitch, gives me everything I need.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I'm slowly try to cut down my board and have got it to what I think is barebones.

Gotta be honest I think my playing is better for it.

Keeping it basic means I spend more time playing and experimenting with what I already have.

I now spend less time looking for the next new pedal/ getting distracted by an over sized pedalboard full of things I use once for 5 minutes every couple of months.

• Nobels PRE 01 can equalise any amp and also function as a clean booster or super hard on style o/d. Visual sound Jeckyl and Hyde. Malekko 616 analogue delay can also do really nice analogue chorus and shimmery reverb. Korg pitchblack tuner and daisy chain power to the others.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    If I was planning on using a borrowed/house amp on a regular basis I think I'd be taking a GT10 or some multi effects unit with all my sounds dialled in, so I could just set the amp clean........using a multi effects is a compromise, but so is using a borrowed amp
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    The least?

None at all.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • A tuner a tubescreamer a Marshall govn'r and a reverb .
    I might even throw in a mesa V-twin and take out the tube screamer. (But revalved for a brighter tone)
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Ah - I hadn't considered a tuner.

If push comes to shove I can do without FX. I have to be in tune though ;)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Polytune.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    When using 'house' amps some kind of amp in a box pedal is good; assuming you need a quick set up multi Fx probably isn't the best bet and if you use a bunch of presets you won't have auditioned and tweaked them all with the amp before you play.
    Tuner+ ampinbox and then whatever effects you normally use. A clean boost can be a good idea with unfamiliar amps as they may not project as you expect and you may be ableto get to the knob on your boost easier than the amp controls.
    Of course if it is just for a couple of numbers on a jam night everyone will think you are a prat.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    A new clip on tuner means there's one less pedal in the chain, leaving me with an Sd-1 clone and a Digidelay. That said if the house amp was particularly fine I'd be tempted to wing it with nothing.
  • 1nten5e said:
    If I was planning on using a borrowed/house amp on a regular basis I think I'd be taking a GT10 or some multi effects unit with all my sounds dialled in, so I could just set the amp clean........using a multi effects is a compromise, but so is using a borrowed amp

I agree, I'd get a multi FX for this scenario, aiming to use it as the primary tone generator.

I like my real pedals but I've picked them and dialed them in to work with my real amp.  If I have to compromise I might as well compromise in the way that gives me most control.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Having done this in the past I used to take a POD2 with one out going into the house amp acting as a monitor and the other going into the PA so I always got my sound and then use the 4 button switch to have clean, dirty and solo. 

With the board you describe if you wanted to go super small you could go all Xotic and have SP EP SL + a tuner. 

• Interesting thought on the POD - I'd kind of discounted modelling given that I tend not to like the sound of it; that being said, I used to fuss over my tone so much I probably paid less attention to what I was playing... kind of the whole reason I'm going down this route in the first place.

I was kind of keen to go all "boutique-y", not for any reason other than I'm no longer a poor student. It's nice to own nice things :D

Not heard of Xotic before, looks like an interesting company. Will look into it.

It's also interesting how many people see delay as being essential; not something I'd really considered to be honest. Excepting some Van-Halen tracks and a poor attempt at slap-back for Red House, I've never been a user of delay...

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I used to have this super compact board.

Everything i needed on there, plus a recharable battery pack. It really was an easy set up!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26950
    edited January 2014
    Depending on the material and assuming a clean amp only I'd want tuner, heavy dirt, light dirt and either delay or mod.

Likely:

Polytune
    Rat
    Hotcake or Klone
    Timefactor or MXR Micro Chorus
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires