Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Minimal pedal board - money no object

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Interesting thought on the POD - I'd kind of discounted modelling given that I tend not to like the sound of it; that being said, I used to fuss over my tone so much I probably paid less attention to what I was playing... kind of the whole reason I'm going down this route in the first place.

I was kind of keen to go all "boutique-y", not for any reason other than I'm no longer a poor student. It's nice to own nice things :D

Not heard of Xotic before, looks like an interesting company. Will look into it.

The POD was really an insurance thing because it meant the sound was exactly the same to the audience regardless of how shitty or unsuitable (JCM800 at a funk gig) the amp was.

Now I'd probably use something like an AMT Legend 2 and feed the speaker sim out to the PA. Burgerman was doing it in a video and it seemed to work well.

The SP is my all time favorite comp. I've got an SL, but haven't put it through it's paces yet. 

Haven't tried the EP, but people rave about them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It would be one of these options:

Option 1
    Two AMT preamp pedals, switched with a dual loop pedal
    Polytune
    Flashback

Option 2
    Bogner Ecstasy Red
    Polytune
    Flashback

Both options cost roughly the same, but it would depend on how small I wanted the board to be...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30896
    My Cornish G2/SS3 Duplex and my TImeline.

2 pedals, job done.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I would go Tuner > Bogner Blue > EP Booster > Carbon Copy
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    If money is no option i'd go for the VL effects bullitt boost big block (will do o/d, dist and boost). It's head and shoulders above the previous mentioned, though this is reflected in the price. 

If you're going super high end the cornish stuff is nigh on unbeatable. 
    Hymnal said:
    If money is no option i'd go for the VL effects bullitt boost big block (will do o/d, dist and boost). It's head and shoulders above the previous mentioned, though this is reflected in the price. 

Never heard of those- look amazing. 

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited January 2014
    I've changed my mind.

Polytune
    Klon KTR
    Moog MiniFooger Drive
    Moog Expression pedal
    Amp channel switcher (I don't really need the 3-button one that comes with the 5:25)
    Gassage said:
    Hymnal said:

Mate they are out of this world. The components are the very best you can buy. I am seriously considering a jimi fuzz at the minute... @Allicio knows much more than me... he owned four and hopefully he will jump in! Blows the likes of klon and most other igh end out of the water IMO... though i'm not sold on the styling personally. 
    Hymnal said:
    Gassage said:
    Hymnal said:

Mate they are out of this world. The components are the very best you can buy. I am seriously considering a jimi fuzz at the minute... @Allicio knows much more than me... he owned four and hopefully he will jump in! Blows the likes of klon and most other igh end out of the water IMO... though i'm not sold on the styling personally. 
    Yeah styling hideous. But then have you ever seen the Stade Francais rugby shirts? So much for French chic.

I'm sorted in dirt department, having the all the wonderful Cornish boxes from P1 G2 SS3 to CC1. There's a natural order to those so it kinda works for me.....You could do an entire lifetime with the G2/SS3 duplex and not need anything else.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Polytune micro
    Xotic EP Booster
    KOi OVerdrive (Zendrive)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    When using 'house' amps some kind of amp in a box pedal is good; assuming you need a quick set up
    benmurray85 said:
    I'd definitely need some delay. I have a trex moeller OD which has a built in boost so that's one pedal for the price of two. So I guess I could basically get by on those two if I used a clip on tuner! ;-)
    I have a TRex Moeller on my main board exactly for this. Really good grit pedal. - plug it into any clean channel and away you go !

Alternatively one of the Tech21 SansAmp range - Liverpool or a California for example

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    @Gassage, did you buy them direct? I haven't even seen anywhere to try one. I'm currently running a few D*A*M fuzzes, again hard to get but very very good. Have you tried any of the toneczar pedals? Reasonably priced but the wait list is apparently two years! Supposed to be up there with Cornish though I haven't seen any gut shots. I regard DAM and Cornish as pretty equal, I completely *get* paying a premium for pedals but can't see why Cornish stuff is over £500 new.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7415
    edited January 2014
    Voila

Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO;142760" said:
    Voila
    How do you find the KOT? I loved the pot I had but thought it was a bit limp on the bass end of things and wished it had a tiny bit more drive. Loved the basic od tone though! Especially with a strat.
    edited January 2014
    Hymnal,

I've tried every fuzz on the market give or take. Re PC, all bought direct. Price: well firstly, they are spot on, exactly the tones you've always wanted without too much noise. Then you're getting the best buffer in the business in ever single pedal- the effect this has on all around is dramatic.

I have heard pedals close to the SS3 and G2. Indeed, if I wanted to be really anaorakish, I'd prob take the Wampler Euphoria and the Skreddy Lunar margainally over the Cornish. I prefer however to stick with what I know and my big grey boxes look nice together. When I swapped over to the Lunar and Wamp, I got a little more noise in the rig. I swapped back.

I haven't heard anything that comes close to the monster muff, the P1. That was engineered to recreate Gilmour's fave Triangle muff. It's in a different class. So articulate for a muff, so clear, gritty yet chimey. Think of the breathy muff tone, and that's it. The CC1 is an amazing EQ pedal, and I tend to use it in the way peeps use a EP booster. I always have it on if using the dirt stuff so stack into it. if you listen to all the On an Island tour recordings, that's P1's and G2's all over the place, nowt else. (ok eq-ed with a modified BKTD)

Now, I really mean this- the DAM Rams Head clone, the one that's discontinued, honestly, not in same ball park as P1. Not even close. THe nearest things to the P1 are the Cog Diss from Skreddy or the Pink Flesh from Skreddy. All will cost a lot.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7415
    I like it a lot - you just have to get over the fact that you need to (or I do anyway) run the knobs almost full up.

imho the perfect drive/boost pedal would have the right hand side of the KOT and an Xotic EP Booster in the other side. Or just get a POT and an EP I guess :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    Praise indeed Gasage, I'll keep an eye out sh for a Cornish muff then. Funnily enough though I've had most of the skreddy pedals and not been hugely impressed to date, though I will keep the skreddy echo as its a fantastic echo just to add a tiny bit of space to the tone. I guess I need a P1 now.... and the search goes on...!

Timmyo, I found that too! A great articulate drive though. Would be funky to try with an ep....
    Hymnal- I've always wanted to try a KOT- according to gigrig Dan they're similar to an SS3 in range. He said no point, as your Duplex will do the job.

If you go Cornishing, note the P2 is a lot smoother than the P1. They are different beasts and the P2 is very much like an original Civil War muff- smooth and creamy, whereas the P1 is granier and more powerful

The P2's normally fetch c £100 less, as loads more about- Pete only does a few P1's (30) a yr due to getting certain bits for them, so makes them when he can get the parts. Mine is number 35, so second yr production.

PS if you're in Mids, you're welcome to try mine.

East mids.... (north Lincolnshire)