Amps and voltages (110 vs 240v) - do they sound different?

What's Hot
So ... I was wondering if amplifiers sound different depending if they're running at 110 (i.e. US) or UK (i.e. 230/240v).

Now, I know they use different transformers configurations (either physically different units, or taking out another set of wires from the winding; which would impact performance to a degree), but are there big differences?

Logically if the transformer was "ideal/perfect" then it wouldn't matter, but given there's a really big interaction with transformers, valves and general headroom etc. (including things like valve rectifiers), is there a big difference?

It got me thinking these kinds of questions:
1. Does a certain amp sound the same on either side of the atlantic (all other things being equal). So let's say a JCM800 2203 on US voltage vs running on UK voltage
2. How different would it sound running on a high-grade transformer. Could you duplicate the sound in the US in from the UK (assuming the answer to my first question is that yes, they do sound different).

Hard to test I imagine ...

Given lots of well known tracks have been used well known amps, and people try to duplicate the recorded tone ... does it matter on the voltage of the mains?

Rambling question I know ... thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    In before this turns to a shit fight. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28139
    does it matter on the voltage of the mains?
    No.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    However your frequency of hum is 60 Hz in the States, 50 Hz in the UK. I have used  plugins which model this.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    does it matter on the voltage of the mains?
    No.
    Good. That's saved a lot of time then.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    It may make a small difference, but it's so much of a nuisance to replicate the other voltage and frequency that it isn't worth worrying about.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

A mains transformer does not supply power on a continuous basis. Rather it delvers pulses of current for a small part of each cycle to keep the res cap "topped up".

So, since the windings are effectively disconnected for 75%ish of the time it is hard to see how it could influence the sound? AND! Don't forget that mainS could be 230V or 10% up or down on that and other countries are even worse! Adds fuel to my hobby horse (there's a mixed one IF you like!) that peeps CLAIM all sorts of boooteeeky things about amps but nobody EVER measures F.A!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil Young can tell the difference. But he's Neil Young so he can afford to care. 

He goes through a very clean power conditioner that supplies 120v at 60 HZ. 
    He's also torturing that little amp to the absolute limit, so it may show up more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The recent AC/DC rig rundown covered this, live they use all British voltage Marshalls and use some additional equipment to maintain the supply at exactly 236v for all amps, apparently they can hear a difference.
  • I'd imagine a big driver for that would also be to get consistency as well as generally looking after the amps
    clarkefan said:
    The recent AC/DC rig rundown covered this, live they use all British voltage Marshalls and use some additional equipment to maintain the supply at exactly 236v for all amps, apparently they can hear a difference.
    It would be remarkable if *all* their different amps all sounded their best at exactly 236V, and not (say) one at 232, one at 236 and another at 240. For it to be otherwise would require that their amps are all identical, even down to the component tolerances and the condition of the valves.

So I suspect it's for consistency and reliability as SquireJapan says.

• I got the impression from the rundown that the idea is, all the amps running at the same time (lots) sound best *as a group* at 236v.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    clarkefan said:
    I got the impression from the rundown that the idea is, all the amps running at the same time (lots) sound best *as a group* at 236v.
    ... and that figure apparently came from Marshall IIRC, not AC/DC themselves (?)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28139
    clarkefan said:
    The recent AC/DC rig rundown covered this, live they use all British voltage Marshalls and use some additional equipment to maintain the supply at exactly 236v for all amps, apparently they can hear a difference.
    After that many decades of playing at that volume?

No.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Good point :)

And I hope I'm not misleading anyone,  I should probably watch it again, I'm just going from memory.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2131
    When I was big into Bogners, I remember the Ecstasy I had, (which I kinda miss nowadays) sounded different to the ones I tried in the States. The American ones, I remember them sounding a bit (very slightly) softer. Less edgy.