Tremol-No

What's Hot
Has anyone experience with these before? 

Pro's and con's?

Going to fixed position easier for bending?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Sort-of a good idea, but not well enough engineered to work perfectly. They're fiddly to lock and unlock, and can't really be done up tight enough so they come loose and rattle. I've come across one where the pivot was made too tight so it did't move freely and caused major tuning problems as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 446
    I got one years ago but never installed it. Took the plunge recently and watched all the youtube vids on perfect installation etc...despite my best efforts it's less than perfect and as mentioned above a bit of a bitch to tighten the screws enough.

After several attempts I just left it in the locked position. 

If nothing else it confirmed that I don't really need a trem. 

Nice idea though and clearly works for Guthrie
  • after a lot of research i went with a Goldo backbox, it works great 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    A nice idea but absolutely useless in practice, I'd always advise against fitting one. 
  • If you got one setup and fitted by suhr would that work or be better do you think? I'm not sure what the guthrie signatures suhr or charvel are like?
    If you got one setup and fitted by suhr would that work or be better do you think? I'm not sure what the guthrie signatures suhr or charvel are like?
    Possibly...but you'd need to factor in the cost of the guitar from them too...which makes it very expensive. 

I've never seen Guthrie live so couldn't comment on whether he uses his on the fly. Have seen him use it on gear demos though. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would most likely leave it as a hardtail but occasionally use the floating trem on the odd tune in a set.
  • Would you say just get hardtail for better tone and playability?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I don't like them. Bought a guitar with one once, took it off within a couple of days and it never went back on. Made the trem feel horrible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you got one setup and fitted by suhr would that work or be better do you think?
    No. The problem is with the unit, not the guitar it's attached to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    I agree with everyone else- I found mine fiddly, and you could feel it when using the trem. Unless you took extreme pains to set the thing up absolutely 100%. And even then you could still feel it, just not as much.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    My issue was locking it tight enough.  If I put pressure on the bridge or caught the end of the arm it would move the trem, but hold it in its new out of tune position.  I am too heavy handed for it to be useful
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    I got fed up with it and took it out after a couple of weeks. Locking it up just makes it knock when bending and the other strings still go out of tune.
  • sounds like there is no positive experiences with this!
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    I fitted one at a clients request recently. It took a little care to fit properly but once done it worked perfectly. 
    It isn't something I'd use myself but if you need the functionality it offers then it can be made to work. 
    DamianP said:
    I fitted one at a clients request recently. It took a little care to fit properly but once done it worked perfectly. 
    It isn't something I'd use myself but if you need the functionality it offers then it can be made to work. 
    Did you find out what the client thought after a few weeks/months/string changes?

I also found that it *could* be set up perfectly - initially. They don't stay like that for very long though. The fundamental problem is that it's just expecting too much for those little thumbscrews to grip the rod when tightened with fingers. If you replace them with Allen bolts it's probably possible, but then you wouldn't get the option of changing the operating mode on the fly - and you'd need to be very careful not to strip the threads, since the wall thickness is quite small.

It's a clever idea, but it's just beyond the available engineering for it to work properly with the forces involved.

At the end of the day this works better… :)

http://www.lonephantom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/20120204-183746.jpg

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    DamianP said:
    Did you find out what the client thought after a few weeks/months/string changes?

I also found that it *could* be set up perfectly - initially. They don't stay like that for very long though. The fundamental problem is that it's just expecting too much for those little thumbscrews to grip the rod when tightened with fingers. If you replace them with Allen bolts it's probably possible, but then you wouldn't get the option of changing the operating mode on the fly - and you'd need to be very careful not to strip the threads, since the wall thickness is quite small.

It's a clever idea, but it's just beyond the available engineering for it to work properly with the forces involved.

That is a good solution, I seem to remember there was a magnetic thing that would replace one of your springs, looked like a good concept.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    ICBM said:
    DamianP said:

Well, he already had one on another guitar and liked it enough to ask me to fit one so I assume he's still happy.
    That said, I agree with  your thoughts on its flaws. It would require awareness of them and a sensitive hand to use it reliably.
  • Would you guys have a fixed bridge? Deck a floating trem or just leave it floating? 
    edited December 2016
    Depends if I thought I'd have lots of use for a trem? Undoubtedly fixed is least hassle and Floyd is the most hassle.

From my own experience I've come to the conclusion I don't really need one, but I'm pretty indifferent to be honest, if the guitar plays right then everything else is secondary. I have guitars with fixed bridges, floating trems, Floyds and my Floyd guitar with the Tremol-No that's locked. I play them all but the major factor as to which one I'm playing at any given time is mainly down to which one I'm enjoying playing the most. 

A few months back I was all for my Les Paul Axcess stoptail, then I got an Eric Johnson Strat which I played to death - the bridge is set to float, but I never even put the bar in. Then I got an N4 which I also put plenty of hours on and again never even put the bar in and I'm now playing an Ibanez JS6000 which is a fixed bridge Satriani guitar that's been under the bed for a good 18 months.

So the type of bridge has never been a factor for me as to what I play. 

If your question is for a guitar you are planning to buy my advice would be to go and play lots til you find the one that feels right to you. If you do that then I suspect what bridge is on it won't even come into it. 

I guess for versatility a vintage style trem that you can block when desired could be best. 

Good luck!