Les Paul 50's Tributes - Thoughts?

What's Hot
cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2549
edited December 2016 in Guitar
I have some cash burning a hole and I really like the look of the 2016 LP Tributes which can be had for less than £600. After looking at some positive reviews on youtube I fancy gassing on a gold top. I'm sure somebody on the fretboard has had experiences with these so would really appreciate any feedback before I pull the trigger on one. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• All I know is that I want one too! 
    I've got a 2013 SG 50s Tribute & love it- great feeling & playing guitar. 
    I fancy a Les Paul with humbuckers. Just need the funds to pull the trigger. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    I've owned a 2010 Goldtop 50s Tribute from new.

Ive gigged it lots and it's a wonderful guitar. I'd heartily recommend them.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2549
    Already looking good then. Thanks guys.
  • They are great. You might want to look at studios as well around the £600 mark?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited December 2016
    They are great. You might want to look at studios as well around the £600 mark?
    Thanks, will do. I have looked at the goldtop LP and fallen in love with it though and once I've made up my mind... :)
  • thats the best choice for me. I really like the p90 goldtops
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Brilliant. Thanks mate.
  • Fantastic guitars. They are slightly over looked as they aren't quite traidtional enough for some (no binding on body or neck, no gloss finish). But the couple I've played have felt just as nice and the standards or classics.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    edited December 2016 tFB Trader

AWESOME guitars..  I have a 2011 60s Tribute Goldtop (slimmer neck than the 50s)....  Really with a LP Studio, you are still getting a great sounding and playing guitar..  You just don't get the bling you get on a Standard...  They are all built in the same place by the same people and methods as all the other models..  So if you don't care about the lack of binding and shiny finish then they really cant be beat...... I really do love mine as much as my Classic or Standard....

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/IMG_0191_zpsed17afe3.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Have a wow! That's it, I'm decided! Thanks guys.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I've got a 2016 model in black, and love it. I had a bit of a wobble where I considered selling it a couple of months back, but so glad I decided to keep it. Great guitar at a great price.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    Best thing about these along with the 60s and studio faded is they are 95% of a good LP Standard, 105% of a duff LP Standard and at a price you never really end up with buyers remorse over.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I wish I could get past the lack of binding, doesn't bother me either way with other guitars, such as PRS but they look wrong to me.    A shame as my next LP will be probably be a goldtop and it would be a cheap way to get one and I'm sure they play and sound fine. 
  • Lovely guitar Rabs. 

I'm half planning my next (and probably last) guitar and these are high on the list. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I got a 60s with the p90s. Love it. The 50s ones were very tempting too!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I had one - one of the best guitars I've ever had value for money and wise 

decent setup and fret dress and they're killer
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I tried to buy one (a lefty goldtop P90) in 2011. Even though the shop very kindly sent it over to Berlin from their Hamburg branch I ended up walking away from it. It just felt cheap and plasticky in all sorts of ways, and sounded thin. They also had a slightly more expensive studio with HBs that was miles better in terms of quality, feel and unplugged sound. Unfortunately I wanted a P90 guitar ... 

It may well be though that quality on lefties is particularly inconsistent (my Strat for example seems to have left the factory in a semi-manufactured state). Try before you buy (or not) I guess ...

• I recently picked one up, wood grain finish, humbuckers, highly recommended.  Very well made, zero issues.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are they dark back? I really don't like that for some reason 
  • Are they dark back? I really don't like that for some reason 
    Yes, mine is, and no binding.  But it's still a Les Paul, although I do miss the binding and brilliant wood finish my old Gold Top had.  I reluctantly sold it several years ago and waffle back and forth about it, some days I'm glad I sold it because it had so many issues(fret wear, buckle rash, extreme mods by former owner, etc....) and some days I'm "what was I thinking?".   Anyway, this new one is a fabulous, but less glamorous guitar that I'm really happy with.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay