5th Anniversary Triple Blues build

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371

Right ... time for full details and a chance to get your hands on the first of the Oil City 5th anniversary limited addition sets: the Triple Blues.
As you can see I have been busy sorting out the custom flatwork for the series, (excuse the dodgy focusing in the pic ... too much Christmas spirit I expect) Each completed pickup will have the old style 'Red Sunset' label and be numbered by set, 1-10.

I am offering the reissues to Forum members first, as the Fretboard, and the old Music Radar forum really gave me my first break in pickup making. They will be £150.00 a set to forum members, any sets not sold will be put on the Oil City site for £170.00
Orders will be taken by contacting me via PM to insure that you are members.

If @TTony is amenable I shall make a special 11th pickup set serial numbered '0' for him to raffle or auction or whatever he sees fit to raise funds for the forum :-)
I owe the this place, and many forum members, a big debt of gratitude for the way Oil City has developed.

Next up in the build series here will be hand polishing the magnets and assembling the Flatwork.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Hopeful PM sent.........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27464

If @TTony is amenable I shall make a special 11th pickup set serial numbered '0' for him to raffle or auction or whatever he sees fit to raise funds for the forum :-)
    I owe the this place, and many forum members, a big debt of gratitude for the way Oil City has developed.

I am known as amenable TTony.

;)

Thanks Ash, donation very gratefully accepted and I'm guessing there'll be more than a fair bit of interest in these when we raffle them in due course.

Glad that we've helped a proper UK business develop - that was one of my hopes when we set the forum up all those years ago.  You've been with us from the beginning, and I hope you'll stay with us for years ahead.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

I am known as amenable TTony.

;)

Thanks Ash, donation very gratefully accepted and I'm guessing there'll be more than a fair bit of interest in these when we raffle them in due course.

Glad that we've helped a proper UK business develop - that was one of my hopes when we set the forum up all those years ago.  You've been with us from the beginning, and I hope you'll stay with us for years ahead.
    Thank you @TTony ... I will keep everyone up to date on the progress of the builds ... the first set has been reserved already :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• If @TTony is amenable I shall make a special 11th pickup set serial numbered '0' for him to raffle or auction or whatever he sees fit to raise funds for the forum :-)

Nice gesture, man! 
    tFB Trader
    The first two sets of Triple Blues have been reserved ... only eight more to go ... 

tFB Trader
    The first of the Masterwound Triple Blues 5th anniversary pickups are coming together ...
    Hand beveled and polished magnets in a stagger patter I first used on the early Triple Blues: curve to fit modern radius boards with no low B string magnet. Nitro lacquered flatwork and vintage style eyelets go with the general 'old world' vibe 

Next ... the hand, scatter winding in my original pattern.

• FRockStarFRockStar Frets: 140
    Looking good!  :)
    Is it possible to laser etch the steel base plates?
    tFB Trader
    Richardj said:
    Is it possible to laser etch the steel base plates?
    Unfortunately not Richard ... I could get it engraved commercially ... but that would be at cost

edited January 2017
    Ah, sounds like extra hassle.  I'm watching with interest though.....  ;)
    Any updates on these?  Really looking forward to them. :)
    Bit late with this post.  A lovely set of pickups arrived in gloomy France a few weeks ago but travel and work commitments prevented me fitting them.

Finally got to it last weekend and really all I can say is 'WOW'!  The care and attention in the build and the 3D sound is something to behold. It is instantly my No.1 Strat.

@TheGuitarWeasel, Ash, you are THE MAN. Thank you.
  • FRockStarFRockStar Frets: 140
    High praise indeed @Richardj.. I have a set waiting to go in a build but I have no idea when I'll have time for that project  :/  I may have to buy a pre-wired pickguard & drop them into one of my 2 existing strats for now... Really wanna try em out! 
    tFB Trader
    Still more of these available guys :-)

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27464
    Yes, buy them up quick, so that I can get set #11

(to raffle)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Yes, buy them up quick, so that I can get set #11

(to raffle)

Exactly :-)

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    Is there any difference between these and the standard triple blues set tonewise? I can see that the build is more detailed.
    tFB Trader
    The output is slightly different, and the top end is a touch smoother with a bit more harmonic 'zing'. The magnets have my original stagger pattern and the potting process is done in the very labour intensive way my early ones were.
    They sound the same as the original first prototypes that Tim, my business partner, still has in his Shoreline Gold Strat, and are the same as around the first fifty or so sets that we sold. The difference is subtle, but there. The price reflects the extra work that has gone into them, making them part of my Masterwound range.