Quandary

What's Hot
chatting to the missus last night, was telling her a plan I have to rackmount my amp from my combo and install it with my multi fx rack, to create an all in one solution, that I can easily set up and transport to use with my 2x12 cab, and she said why don't I just sell all my stuff and get the EVH 50w and cab......and use thatvwith my multi fx. 
hmmmm
now I have doubts again, as to keeping my Engl. 
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Did she suggest it just to end the conversation?

have you thought about going the full rack route? Engl preamp, engl power amp? I toured Europe with an engl rack rig and it was incredibly good, plus the preamp can also deliver about 1.5w into a cab for quiet practice. I'd have a setup like that again in a heartbeatz
  • Have you tried the EVH yet?  That'll help you make your mind up quicker.

Why not just sell the Screamer combo and get a Screamer head - the heads are fairly common s/h.
  • timmysoft said:
    Did she suggest it just to end the conversation?

have you thought about going the full rack route? Engl preamp, engl power amp? I toured Europe with an engl rack rig and it was incredibly good, plus the preamp can also deliver about 1.5w into a cab for quiet practice. I'd have a setup like that again in a heartbeatz
    Oh, that's an idea, but the trouble with Engl is it's pretty expensive. 
    If I sell my amp/cab pedals and switcher I'm close to £850 which is reasonable enough to make up to £1k which is what I can get an EVH 5153 50w and cab for. Alternatively keep my cab and just get the head. 
  • Remember - the EVH 5153 50-watter isn't really usable as a 3-channel amp because of the volume jump between clean and crunch. Admittedly I'm only getting that as second-hand info from Drew, but he bust his balls trying to make it work and just couldn't.

The 100W version, on the other hand, doesn't have that problem.
    <space for hire>
  • The 100 watt version is amazing.  It is also not far off the same size and weight of the 2x12 cab, in case that matters.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Using a mutlieffects with the evh is a great rig. Simple to get some great sounds and control the 3 channels via midi.    
    You can integrate the head intro your patches on the fx and give a lot more options though for gain and volume settings.   

Imo it's one the better low cost ways of getting into the modded high gain Marshall type sound and still be flexible.    

What sound do you actually want though?   It might be that the evh has more options than you need and another amp will get you there.  
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

I've had my amp and FX rack mounted for about 6 months now... and am taking it apart again ..

Have 2 trays of pedals (5 pedals, power supply, switcher, wireless), a tuner, and a victory kraken inside a 10u rack.

For gigs with short change over times its been great due to very fast set up (power in, speaker cable out, midi cable out to midi board). Using a Behringer FCB1010 I've got all my sounds without tap dancing. I've not been worried about things going missing at gigs so much, as its all locked in 1 box.

However.

IT IS REALLY FUCKING HEAVY! Ended up with casters on bottom to roll it long distances, though the bands singer couldn't get his head around taking the break off so has torn up 3 wheels and rolled the whole unit multiple times. And casters don't help on stairs. or when you're trying to fit it in the back of car. Its also quite unstable on top of a cab due to weight and depth, meaning I tired to have it onstage next to cab, which isn't always possible on smaller stages with other bands gear on too.

Will be squeezing what I can into a 4u rack when it arrives and putting head on top.

just a heads up :)

if you have roadies for gigs it'll be a doddle

• Remember - the EVH 5153 50-watter isn't really usable as a 3-channel amp because of the volume jump between clean and crunch. Admittedly I'm only getting that as second-hand info from Drew, but he bust his balls trying to make it work and just couldn't.

The 100W version, on the other hand, doesn't have that problem.
    Yeah I can get round that using the fx loop volumes on the 11r. 
    Theres a few vids on how to do that. 

• John_P said:
    Using a mutlieffects with the evh is a great rig. Simple to get some great sounds and control the 3 channels via midi.    
    You can integrate the head intro your patches on the fx and give a lot more options though for gain and volume settings.   

Imo it's one the better low cost ways of getting into the modded high gain Marshall type sound and still be flexible.    

What sound do you actually want though?   It might be that the evh has more options than you need and another amp will get you there.  
    Simply put. 
    Huge. 

I want big, thick crunch and very articulate and cutting lead. 
    Crystal clean is not really a concern, but something fairly spanky.

i am aware I am describing a Mesa Dual Rec or MkV but I don't have Mesa money really.  
  • If you retain the cab from the combo so you don't affect later resale value, you could do that. Saves the agro of selling stuff on to buy more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosden said:

I've had my amp and FX rack mounted for about 6 months now... and am taking it apart again ..

Have 2 trays of pedals (5 pedals, power supply, switcher, wireless), a tuner, and a victory kraken inside a 10u rack.

For gigs with short change over times its been great due to very fast set up (power in, speaker cable out, midi cable out to midi board). Using a Behringer FCB1010 I've got all my sounds without tap dancing. I've not been worried about things going missing at gigs so much, as its all locked in 1 box.

However.

IT IS REALLY FUCKING HEAVY! Ended up with casters on bottom to roll it long distances, though the bands singer couldn't get his head around taking the break off so has torn up 3 wheels and rolled the whole unit multiple times. And casters don't help on stairs. or when you're trying to fit it in the back of car. Its also quite unstable on top of a cab due to weight and depth, meaning I tired to have it onstage next to cab, which isn't always possible on smaller stages with other bands gear on too.

Will be squeezing what I can into a 4u rack when it arrives and putting head on top.

just a heads up :)

if you have roadies for gigs it'll be a doddle

See this is the route I wanna go down, minimal hassle, I've measured it all out and I only need an 8 space rack, but it's only going to have my multi fx, my amp and midi to latching gizmo. 
    I may stick a 1u power amp I have spare in there if I have the room, as it will be handy for W/D/W or as a back up, 
  • Someone on Facebook is selling a mesa single recto head for £575 I think in sheffield. Will see if I can link it. 
  • The real issue here is how did your wife acquire such knowledge ?

Mine would have said something like... "nice baby... shall we re-paint the lounge ?"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • See this is the route I wanna go down, minimal hassle, I've measured it all out and I only need an 8 space rack, but it's only going to have my multi fx, my amp and midi to latching gizmo. 
    I may stick a 1u power amp I have spare in there if I have the room, as it will be handy for W/D/W or as a back up, 
    See, that's a damn shame 'cos I've got a 6U rack here that's just taking up space :(
    <space for hire>
  • See this is the route I wanna go down, minimal hassle, I've measured it all out and I only need an 8 space rack, but it's only going to have my multi fx, my amp and midi to latching gizmo. 
    See, that's a damn shame 'cos I've got a 6U rack here that's just taking up space :(
    Hmmmm I may remeasure. 
    How much good sir? 
    Hmmmm I may remeasure. 
    How much good sir? 
    Hadn't really thought about it...£30? At the moment, it's just holding up a pile of boxes (as it has been for the last couple of years). Proper wood/metal construction, though, not ABS.
    <space for hire>
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Hadn't really thought about it...£30? At the moment, it's just holding up a pile of boxes (as it has been for the last couple of years). Proper wood/metal construction, though, not ABS.

wood also good. the indent for the handles on ABS can take up space within the rack meaning some things won't fit, such as pedal trays which have adjustment screws.

See this is the route I wanna go down, minimal hassle, I've measured it all out and I only need an 8 space rack, but it's only going to have my multi fx, my amp and midi to latching gizmo. 

If I didn't have the knees of a 90 year old at the moment I'd probably keep if all together, but getting up stairs and over monitors onto stages and stuff is killer.

Also if you Put LEDs in it looks really cool 

• Picked up the rack from @digitalscream I expected some mild resistance from my partner...... I honestly did not foresee her taking one look at the Rack and claiming it for a coffee table. 
    https://imgur.com/a/8mD9n
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited December 2016
    You actually talk to your wife - for real?!  WOW! jawdrop
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)