A phaser question...

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
Currently thinking of buying myself a phaser pedal to get that subtle slightly swirly sound.

I'd prefer something with just one knob and just a mono out. 

Probably overthinking things here but...

A quick Google search suggests that phasers often have model numbers which include  45, 90, or 100. I guess this is something to do with the degree of phasing going on - would that be correct? And do I need to concern myself with such things?

Also, I see that there seems to be 2-stage and 4-stage phasing. Again, anything I need to worry about?

From what I've managed to find so far, I'm liking the look of the DoD Phasor 201 and the MXR Phase 90. Ok, I know I need to go and try them out, but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28157
    You are correctish about the numbers. Phasers work by shifting the phase differently at different frequencies, so it's not really an exact thing.

The number of stages relates a bit to the number and to the maximum phase shift.

The Phase90 is a bit of a classic; I believe it's a 4-stage. I think it's probably the sound you're thinking of. I also really like the Boss PH-3 for the "rise" mode.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    As Sporky says phase 90 is a 4 stage and phase 45 is 2 stage. I believe the phase 100 is a phase 90 with an extra knob? I

I'd also check out the new Phase 95. It's a mini pedal and has switch for both phase 45 or 90 style phasing and a switch to change between older more subtle phasing and newer more full on phasing.
  • I have the phase 95 and its great. But the Mooer Orange Ninety is simple and great too
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    Octafish said:
    As Sporky says phase 90 is a 4 stage and phase 45 is 2 stage. I believe the phase 100 is a phase 90 with an extra knob?
    No, not at all - it's a completely different circuit, much higher-quality - almost to studio equipment level - but it doesn't have the same swirly sound of the Phase 90.

Apart from the requirement for one knob, I would [stuck record] recommend the Boss PH-1R. Old, discontinued, but not too rare - and it can nail the sound of the Phase 90 as well as being far more versatile. Possibly the best standard-size pedal phaser ever made. [/stuck record]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you want subtle its the phase 45 or Dod, the 90 is more in the Van Halen camp of flanging.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    Don't dismiss a Small Stone type. Great phase
  • Dod 201 is amazing, it's only 1 control but the slow rate is nice and subtle, great for atmosphere and the faster rate is very good for that faux leslie type thing. It's been on my board since they relaunched it.
  • I'm a big fan of the small stone personally
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I've got a 95 incoming.

Looks like the ultimate phaser.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I've got a 95 incoming.

Delighted with mine :)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    I've got a 95 incoming.

Would be interested to hear what you think of it when you get it. :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    I've got a 95 incoming.

Would be interested to hear what you think of it when you get it. :)
    I will share my findings.

I've had an orange 90 before which I liked but I fancied the 45 mode on the 95.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    Thanks. Same here, I've got the script w/LED phase 90 and the extra couple of settings in a smaller footprint might be nice if it sounds good.
  • If you're tempted by MXR Phase types then you owe it to yourself to at least try the 74 reissue Phase 90, beautiful sounding thing.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The script phase 90 is a thing of beauty.

That or the EVH phase 90 would be my first choice, and in a close 3rd, would be the block logo Phase 90.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Careful with the script thing, there are at least 2 very similar looking script Phase 90s,  both MXR Custom Shop.

One has an LED and power socket (same circuit as the script button on the EVH) and the other is the 74 reissue, no LED or power socket.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30901
    Anyone knows that phasers have two settings- Stun and Kill.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    moogerfooger 103 phaser does
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    Gassage said:
    / insert gratuitous pic of a young William Shatner as Kirk

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    edited December 2016
    Phase 90: Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The UK
    Phase 100 - The Clash - Jimmy Jazz (or other London Calling tracks) and Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden (sounds good on the live version on the B-Side to Going to a Go Go single 1982)