Dark Side of the Moon Effects / Settings Help Please?

What's Hot
AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
Lets say i was daft enough to try to learn to play the Solo from 'Time', maybe even the whole song.
What delay time settings would i need please?
I've listened as intently as my knackered ears and shit speakers will allow and although the intro setting doesn't sound like rocket science, i just can't get the settings for the solo. I can hear a delay but rather typically it's so well mixed it's too difficult for me to pick out.

Does anyone know what effects and settings are used?
I've got various overdrive and distortion pedals, a block logo dyna comp and a keeley multi echo (ME-8) which has tape, analog and Subdivided digital delay. It's also got double tracking on it but it's a mode type pedal so the delay and ADT can't be used together. 
I'm not trying to be Gilmour but sounding something along the lines of the record while trying to play it as accurately as i can is what i'm aiming for. 

@Wazmeister ;
@Gassage ;

Or anyone else who knows how to get a reasonable sound on this?

I've got a custom built (For me ! :) ) fuzz pedal incoming in a couple of weeks which is being built to get close to the Pink Floyd sound so if that's needed, it will be here soon. I'll do a full review when i get it. It's based on something old called a 'Fuzz Unit' ?

Anyway, General help on DSOTM sounds would be Hugely appreciated in our house right now.
It's bad enough that i can't play very well without sounding wrong as well !

:)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited December 2016
    Gilmourish.com will have settings for any era of that song that you're looking for...from the studio recording through to the PULSE and 2015/16 tour.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • This would be a good place to start http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=46

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Gilmourish.com will have settings for any era of that song that you're looking for...from the studio recording through to the PULSE and 2015/16 tour.
    I wasn't ware of that, i'll go and have a look.

Thanks.
    This would be a good place to start http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=46
    Nice one.
  • Looks like its just a Fuzz face boosted with a Coloursound and a bit of echo. Standard Gilmour...he changed to a Muff and Tube Driver later in his career. But the basic sound has been his staple since then really :-)

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    This is also a good source of PF info:

http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_mp3_DSOTM.html
  • I used to nail the tone using a Boss Df-2 an Arion Sad-1 delay and an Ampeg Flanger. 
    All through my trusty Torque 100w SS combo. 

Using the stock bridge humbucker on a Yamaha RGX 112 is an essential part of the recipe. 

Bear in mind I'd only been playing a year and my ear was still developing. 

Still sounded bloody good though. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    edited December 2016
    @Alnico - mate Im flattered to be quoted in such illustrious company, but I can't really help you... as Im not a Gilmour fan per se, and actually think he is a little bit cack ;)

Seriously, @Jonathanthomas83 and @gassage are the ones in the knowledge here !

You'd be better asking me about Weller, Marr and curry sauce & chips... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Looks like its just a Fuzz face boosted with a Coloursound and a bit of echo. Standard Gilmour...he changed to a Muff and Tube Driver later in his career. But the basic sound has been his staple since then really :-)
    simonk said:
    This is also a good source of PF info:

http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_mp3_DSOTM.html
    Thanks for both of them.

Looks like i can do this with what i've got and with the new fuzz pedal when it arrives.
    I'll get learning then.

Thanks.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Silicon Fuzz Face ear blisteringly loud!

I used to nail the tone using a Boss Df-2 an Arion Sad-1 delay and an Ampeg Flanger. 
    All through my trusty Torque 100w SS combo. 

Using the stock bridge humbucker on a Yamaha RGX 112 is an essential part of the recipe. 

Bear in mind I'd only been playing a year and my ear was still developing. 

Still sounded bloody good though. 
    My first Mic stand was a wooden chair, a mop handle and some gaffer tape and i got whatever i got from a GSII into a completely dry JCM800.

I've got a lot of respect for getting a useable sound from basic kit.

I know i could get the exact same effects as him but i just want to get something recognisable / identifiable really and i'm a bit new to swooshy, swirly, repeating effects like this.
    And playing a whole song like Time without fucking it all right up.

I reckon i've got about a month to learn this before Natasha bans me from playing it again.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited December 2016
    Gilmour's best solo in my book - great playing, interesting tone nothing technical but just works with the track. 

I'd also say you can get close with Fuzz into broken up amp with tape delay with fairly wet sound doing echo duty.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5141
    edited December 2016

I've  got a feeling that this chap is a member here @ThomFripp ;;
    @Alnico - mate Im flattered to be quoted in such illustrious company, but I can't really help you... as Im not a Gilmour fan per se, and actually think he is a little bit cack

You'd be better asking me about Weller, Marr and curry sauce & chips...

You mention curry sauce and chips just 7 minutes AFTER the chippy closes !!!!
    FFS !

Don't worry about the effects, worry about the mental torment i now have to go through for at LEAST 20 hours before it's the correct time for curry sauce and chips again !

I swear for the first time in my life tomorrow, i'm going to photograph my bloody food just to celebrate actually being able to have it.

I@M SO HUNGRY NOW !

Look, i casn;t evben type ortpel;ruly !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tone1 said:

I've  got a feeling that this chap is a member here  :)
    I hadn't considered a phaser for the Time Solo.

I'll look into that.
    I'm getting a Keeley Dark Side but not until after Easter so i can see a phase 90 of some description coming in soon as a stand-in and then as a switchable option later on.
    I'm told Script Logo is the one ?
  • tone1 said:
    https://youtu.be/CLG5utc4DeI

and a great example of how not nailing the bands ruins the vibe for this one. 

For me nailing Gilmour's sound is first and foremost about getting as close as possible his string bends and touch. The tone is secondary, yet seems to be what people obsess over. Gilmour is the master of the string bend - it's everything in his playing.
    tone1 said:
    https://youtu.be/CLG5utc4DeI

and a great example of how not nailing the bands ruins the vibe for this one. 

For me nailing Gilmour's sound is first and foremost about getting as close as possible his string bends and touch. The tone is secondary, yet seems to be what people obsess over. Gilmour is the master of the string bend - it's everything in his playing.
    I'll do my best.
    I'll be honest i've never tried playing it properly, much less in public so this will be fun. Maybe not for me but for someone it will be fun one way or another.
  • Thanks @Wazmeister appreciate that fella.

• Alnico said:
    @Alnico - mate Im flattered to be quoted in such illustrious company, but I can't really help you... as Im not a Gilmour fan per se, and actually think he is a little bit cack

You'd be better asking me about Weller, Marr and curry sauce & chips...

You mention curry sauce and chips just 7 minutes AFTER the chippy closes !!!!
    FFS !

Don't worry about the effects, worry about the mental torment i now have to go through for at LEAST 20 hours before it's the correct time for curry sauce and chips again !

I swear for the first time in my life tomorrow, i'm going to photograph my bloody food just to celebrate actually being able to have it.

I@M SO HUNGRY NOW !

Look, i casn;t evben type ortpel;ruly !
    Forget Gilmour - he cant reach these heights...

Now, the REAL dilemna is... chip shop or Chinese (latter for me) ???
    Chinese without fail.

:)