JTM45 reissue, a few questions.

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Obviously with no master volume the amp is going to be LOUD! But just how loud does it get? At what point does the amp naturally break up? I think I already know the answer but is it useable in a home setting? If I used it at home would a decent attenuator be a good investment? And the most important questions, how well built are the reissues and are they reliable?

I have no plans to buy one in the near future but I'm starting to GAS so it could be in the pipeline.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    It will sound good at home but without an attenuator you won't get distortion at usable levels.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Way too loud to get natural overdrive at home levels - it's about right for a traditional unmic'ed-amp gig. The good news is that it works well with an attenuator (the old Marshall Powerbrake is still probably the best) but also takes pedals fantastically well.

It's extremely well-made and reliable - the reissues are Marshall's best current production amps, by a fair way on that score. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a single one with any fault other than valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    They're about as tough as it gets, and sound beautiful at home with pedals if you don't go the attenuator route. 

In fact try sticking a cheapo used Reflector pedal in front of it and play it totally clean, you might be amazed at how good it sounds. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you for the replies chaps. I would definitely go the attenuator route as I would like to get away from tone chasing with pedals, this whole past year has been a pedal buying merry go round so it would be a breath of fresh air just to plug in and play. As I said it won't be bought in the near future but I think at some point I may sell a good portion of my pedals and maybe a couple of guitars to fund it. I can't help thinking my Les Paul with OX4 pickups will sound amazing through it and that's what's giving me GAS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you're willing to consider tinkering with the amp a bit you can also reduce the volume quite a lot without needing an attenuator. You can fit 6V6 power valves - which will need the amp rebiasing - and/or use a rectifier valve with a lot more sag, a 5R4 or if you've also gone to 6V6s, a 5Y3. This will lower the volume a lot, although not as far or in as controllable way as an attenuator, and also with a change in tone which you may or may not prefer...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    I'm a massive JTM45 fanboy of late. 

Have you considered a tweed type amp if it's lovely drive tones you are after at home? I use my 5e3 for gigs and at home because it starts going into overdrive so early on the volume controls.
    Thanks for the info @ICBM I don't think I'd want to change the tone of the amp so the attenuator route would suit me best. I was thinking of giving a Rivera Rock crusher a go as I could use it with my other amps too so it would see plenty of use and I've heard good things about the Rivera.

The only other thing I'm stuck on is not knowing which Marshall cab would be best suited to the JTM? I read somewhere that it likes Greenbacks, is that right? I wouldn't know wether to go for a 2x12 or 4x12 I think the 4x12 may be a bit overkill!

shaunm said:
    I'm a massive JTM45 fanboy of late. 

Have you considered a tweed type amp if it's lovely drive tones you are after at home? I use my 5e3 for gigs and at home because it starts going into overdrive so early on the volume controls.
    I've looked at the Fender amps but I'm always drawn back to the Marshalls, I've been a fan of them since I was a kid and it would be a dream to own a JTM45. I have a DSL40C which is a good amp but its no JTM!!
    Yes, they sound great with Greenbacks and/or G12H-30s. I would go for a 2x12", you don't need the size or the power handling of a 4x12" for home use. If you don't mind the head being very slightly wider than the cab, the Marshall 'hand wired' 2x12" that came with the 2061 heads is very good - it comes stock with G12H-30s, but you can always replace one or both of them.

If you can find one for a sensible price, the old 2045 2x12" from the 70s is ideal too.

zepp76 said:

I have a DSL40C which is a good amp but its no JTM!!
    It's a good amp though, at least if the one in the shop just now is anything to go by - although it's the 'vintage' version with the checkerboard grille and mid-60s gold block logo, which just looks wrong.

Have you thought about replacing the speaker? It's a Seventy/80, which is a bit… meh. A Creamback 65 or 75 would be a much better choice if you're after a JTM-type sound.

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850
    I had a JTM45 for the best part of a year, sounded stunning with a Powerbrake, but as everything above states, it's beastly loud to break up without one. one of only 2 amps I wish I'd never sold.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

I have a DSL40C which is a good amp but its no JTM!!
    It's a good amp though, at least if the one in the shop just now is anything to go by - although it's the 'vintage' version with the checkerboard grille and mid-60s gold block logo, which just looks wrong.

Have you thought about replacing the speaker? It's a Seventy/80, which is a bit… meh. A Creamback 65 or 75 would be a much better choice if you're after a JTM-type sound.
    Yep, a speaker swap has been on the cards for a while and funny you should mention them but it's a Creamback that will be put in. 

Thank you for the info on the cabs, I think I better get saving!

would you recommend the Powerbrake over the Rock Crusher for attenuation? There is a mighty price difference!
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited December 2016
    ICBM said:
    Yes, they sound great with Greenbacks and/or G12H-30s. I would go for a 2x12", you don't need the size or the power handling of a 4x12" for home use. If you don't mind the head being very slightly wider than the cab, the Marshall 'hand wired' 2x12" that came with the 2061 heads is very good - it comes stock with G12H-30s, but you can always replace one or both of them.

If you can find one for a sensible price, the old 2045 2x12" from the 70s is ideal too.
    Sorry to derail but how stable does a head sit on the 2045 cabibet as it's only 9" wide.  I ask as it might be a great match for my Friedman smallbox if it doesn't topple it!  I like the narrow format cabinets....currently have a 1974cx that's too narrow for the Friedman.
    zepp76 said:

would you recommend the Powerbrake over the Rock Crusher for attenuation? There is a mighty price difference!
    I've never tried the Rock Crusher so can't comment... but the Powerbrake is really very good, especially with a JTM45 which needs a 'high mismatch' impedance to sound best, if the attenuator doesn't perfectly match a real speaker - which the Powerbrake has, but most other attenuators have the opposite.

andyoz said:

Sorry to derail but how stable does a head sit on the 2045 cabibet as it's only 9" wide.
    They're fine if the amp has rubber feet, not quite so good if it has the hard plastic ones Marshall used in the 70s and 80s.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Thanks @ICBM.
    It's more the potential for the whole top heavy amp and cabinet to topple over with a slightly mistaken nudge I'm worried about

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Totally agree with ICBM on the powerbrake, for Marshall amps it's the best attenuator by a country mile and I've tried most of them
  • I have the Rockcrusher and Rockcrusher Recording. Both seriously impressive sounding
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    I have the Rockcrusher and Rockcrusher Recording. Both seriously impressive sounding
    on my wish list, every review I have seen has been really good
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    JTM45's are great. That's all that needs to be said really. 

I used one when I was recording an album for about 70-80 hours straight, dimed into a THD Hotplate. (I think. Can't remember if I had it attenuated or not) 
    The amp was with me in the control room, because I wanted to get feedback etc. and get some guitar-amp interaction going on. Plus I was the engineer lol, as
    ir was solo album. It was loud!

But, ultimately, the amp didn't miss a beat being absolutely hammered for literally 8 hours per day. 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Great amps, one of Marshall's best either old or re-issue. I've never found them 'that' loud. Maybe too used to MV or 1987/1986 type Marshalls but no matter, the 45's work a treat. 

Best with the wick turned up a bit though or as folk above found, maybe attenuated to get the crunch without the hearing damage. 

Highly recommended.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com