Archer vs Archer Ikon vs SHO

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
From online demos I think the Ikon is for me, but am I really getting anything much that I can't get from a drive channel and some volume wiggling and/or my SHO pedal (bearing in mind the one dial limitations that brings up) which I really like already? 

Just wondered if anyone had checked all 3 out together.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I know its a bit more expensive, but you may want to include the RYRA Klone in your A/B tests too, its great.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Not really got the chance to try them all unfortunately. Well unless I buy them all. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the silver Archer and had the Ikon to try side by side. The Ikon has less headroom, is more compressed sounding and has a more stuffy mid range. I sent it back as I prefer the Silver Archer, it had huge headroom, is more open and less compressed sounding.

I use the Archer in a couple of ways with my Victory V40, to add body and thickening to a clean sound with just a hint of breakup by adding a little of the pedals gain, or slamming into the V40 set with the preamp vol up so overdriving and use the pedlas huge volume to push the amp into a much higher level of gain than it has naturally then bring up the pedals gain which adds mids to taste. I have tried many overdrives and nothing has kicked it off my board. 

The RYRA klone is widely regarding as being excellent and very accurate, I would love to try one. I think the Archer and Ikon are a little brighter sounding than a Klon.

This is my favourite clip showing the Archer vs a Klon, through a Victory V40:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you considered a Wampler Tumnus as another option?
    I hadn't really.  I take it you rate them?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited December 2016
    The Tumnus has a bit of a low end boost compard to other Klones and the original Klon, but is highly regarded and it has a small form factor.

I think the stuffy mid range and compression is what draws me to the Ikon funny enough.  :-) 

• Deijavoo said:
    I think the stuffy mid range and compression is what draws me to the Ikon funny enough.  :-) 

Good for you.

• I use the Archer in a couple of ways with my Victory V40, to add body and thickening to a clean sound with just a hint of breakup by adding a little of the pedals gain, or slamming into the V40 set with the preamp vol up so overdriving and use the pedlas huge volume to push the amp into a much higher level of gain than it has naturally then bring up the pedals gain which adds mids to taste. I have tried many overdrives and nothing has kicked it off my board. 

Now THAT is how to use a Klone, and is also the reason many fail to "get" it, IMO. For both of the above applications, this is where a Klone shines.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Deijavoo said:

Good for you.
    Different strokes and all that. Thanks for the video link, I had seen it before but not watched properly. 

Loving that SG junior gainy tone.
  • Deijavoo said:
    Deijavoo said:

Good for you.
    Different strokes and all that. Thanks for the video link, I had seen it before but not watched properly. 

Loving that SG junior gainy tone.
    Agreed, that SG Jr tone is terrific and what finally lead me to a V40 and the silver Archer.