UK Amp Makers

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
As per the thread in the guitar section who do people recommend as an independent UK amp builder? 

I know MJW very well and love the amps martin has made. Who else is there out there of a similar pedigree?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm a fan of Audio Kitchen. Steve Crow is the man behind the soldering iron. The amps are somewhat unconventional; not clones of anything else, usually single ended with massive iron - they have a fantastic feel, excellent eq and are pretty tweakable. 

I have a 17watt combo which I love and also a The Big Trees, which at 2.5 watts is perfect for home / recording use, and can be used as a valve od / boost / fuzz pedal too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Well, I don't have mine yet, but having played (and since ordered) a Dexter from Andy of Thornton Amplifiers, I can't recommend them highly enough. Combo or head plus vertical 2x12, fabulous range of sounds from clean to heavily overdriven with a coupe of neat touches (blending of clean/overdrive, cascaded gain (I think - am happy to be corrected as electronics is not my strongpoint)), self-designed knobs and cabinet corners all point to attention to detail.
    Theres also 633 Engineering, Motion Custom Works, Rift Amps, Rosewell Amps, Gartone, Volt Amplifiers, plus several others, neither of which I have experience playing unfortunately.

Adam
  • No first hand experience, but love the look and sound of @RiftAmps stuff....especially the demos by the immensely talented Aynsley Lister
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Audio Kitchen & Gartone (as previously mentioned) & Lazy J...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • I bought 2 Rift Amps this year via the Classifieds. The Vibro 63 is a really lovely Amp. The other one I only recently got back from Chris (Mr.Rift) after he did some mods for me, so I'm still playing around with it at the moment.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    edited December 2016
    Gryphin Amps, doing something a bit different. Bespoke amp coverings look great and the build is faultless.  Michael usually makes an appearance at the northern guitar shows if you wanted to have a go and he's on here too I think. 

Also 633 engineering, I had a go on two of Cliffs amps a couple of years ago when they were just prototypes but they were hands down the best things I've ever heard. Just couldn't afford one. Still can't now. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    Depends on what you want, I know allot of the builders and have met others at shows,

Here are a few that come to mind, they all build to a high standard, these days you have to
    Gryphin amps - that me, I do kits, parts with Modulus and build custom amps too
    Rift Amps
    633 Amplification
    Stoneham Amplification
    Gartone Amps
    DWJ
    Bluebird Amps
    Ryan Amps (Ireland)
    Dickinson Amps
    RD Amplification

Go check out there websites as they all offer slightly different things.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom