AMT? OMG More Like

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
edited January 2014 in FX tFB Trader
Borrowed a couple of AMT pedals from the very generous @digitalscream ;

As some people will know I kind of have a love / hate relationship with the Shredmaster. There is no pedal I've ever found that does such a brilliant job of going from sparking clean amp to massive chugging rock tone, but it's massive, noisey the EQ is a bit odd and they are getting a bit fragile due to age. I've tried loads of alternatives including derivatives such as Son of Hyde and Jackhammer, but none of them have quite hit the spot. 

I proper love JFET & MOSFET based pedals so I've been dying to give AMT a go. I'm a very simple fellow so the preamp and speaker modes won't get used (They also have a Fender style clean preamp). 

The first one is a P2. 

Here is Burgs giving it some welly:

It's totally not something I'd normally use, but for "teh brootal metalz TM" it sounds huge, big and chunky and aggressive. More gain than you could possibly imagine, but for a "silly pedal" for someone who wants an occasional foray into metal on their Twin or similar I imagine it would be hard to beat. 

Second up is a C2 here's Burgs again:

This is @digitalscream favorite and I can see why. I'm still in the full glow of the first fiddle, but I suspect it might be very close to the holy grail pedal I've been looking for. It's absolutely stacked full of huge rock (rather than metal) tones (which are smoothish rather than hyper aggressive), really useable EQ and a good range of drive from crunchy to absolutely screaming bonkers. It's also weirdly quiet considering the mental amount of gain available.
It doesn't really excel at the lower gains (the same is true of the Shredmaster) and it has some of the top end roll off that's characteristic of many of the "Amp in a box pedals" such as Wampler. Actually I think the closest comparison for this pedal of the things I've tried is probably the Pinnacle, but this has a more usable range of EQ. 

I don't need all the extra functionality and Irritatingly there is no C1 variant without all the bells and whistles. I'm interested to hear what the B1 sounds like as the demos of that also sound awesome.

Thomann don't have the C2 in stock at the moment or I'd probably have just dented my credit card :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Gimme a shout if/when you fall out with the shredmeister.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited January 2014
    Yup, they're damn good. Not your usual distortion pedals, for sure.

:D

Even better, I've found that using the preamp output straight into an audio interface and then applying cab impulses really sounds astoundingly good...good enough, in fact, that I've used them on my band's recordings and nobody realised it wasn't a real amp.

EDIT: Oddly, the P2 cleans up really nicely with the guitar's volume control - better, in fact, than the C2 (which is strange, given the ridiculous amount of gain present in the P2).
    <space for hire>
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    btw I got a mentioned notification for this thread - I'm wondering if it's stuff raised by mods ;)

I love AMT wahs btw ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Nice. I'm looking to get a super aggressive pedal for hard rhythm sounds from a bandit. The Amt p1 might be the answer.

Amp tweaker do one as well, with built in gate.

Also, if you like fet based drives, you simply must try the Duncan powergrid. I don't know why it's not very popular - it sounds stonking! It's a bit big, though. Not amazing for tight metal rhythm, but hard rock, huge chords and liquid, thick lead lines are ace through I.
  • There's an alternative source to Thomann now on eBayUK. I've not bought from them personally but they're 100% feedback.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2014
    I worked my way through all of Burgs AMT demos a few days ago, well impressed.
    I don't know most of the amps, having recently returned to playing again I am playing serious catch-up, so I don't know how accurate they are to the originals?
    Any more opinions would be welcomed.

I was thinking about trying AMT preamps, &/or Bogner ones, into FX return of a big amp as a way of extending channel and tone availability, and I think @digitalscream has used these pedals for just that.  I don't see why you need a separate preamp if there is good EQ on the pedal, maybe I am missing something?

The evilBay link from could make this expensive, so thanks for posting that @steamabacus.

Not sure why frankus got a notification, but by subterfuge I have used white text for my own nefarious reasons before (just like this @frankus)   
    :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    frankus said:
    btw I got a mentioned notification for this thread - I'm wondering if it's stuff raised by mods ;)

I love AMT wahs btw ;)
    That is odd. 

Will have to get to the bottom of that one at some point. 

Maybe I was thinking of you while I wrote it ;)
  • I was thinking about trying AMT preamps, &/or Bogner ones, into FX return of a big amp as a way of extending channel and tone availability, and I think @digitalscream has used these pedals for just that.  I don't see why you need a separate preamp if there is good EQ on the pedal, maybe I am missing something?

I used them as a replacement for my amp's preamp - with the v2 pedals you get a clean channel on all of them (using the preamp output), so they work nicely straight into the effects return. I had two, switched using a Boss LS-2 (thus getting 4 channels: clean at different volumes on both pedals, rhythm using the P2 and lead using the C2). If your amp has an instrument-level effects loop, you could put your amp's preamp in one loop of the LS-2 and the pedal in the other, thus adding two channels to your amp.

For what it's worth, the Bogner Ecstasy Red didn't work anywhere near as well as these do straight into a power amp - not counting the huge problem that it doesn't have a clean channel, just a bypass.
    <space for hire>
    Oddly I got a ChrisMusic mentioned you too...  but not a DigitalScream mentioned you

I just thought I'd mention it, to help with profiling - I don't mind it at all :)
  • frankus said:
    Oddly I got a ChrisMusic mentioned you too...  but not a DigitalScream mentioned you

I just thought I'd mention it, to help with profiling - I don't mind it at all :)
    That's 'cos @ChrisMusic tagged you and then set the text colour to white ;)
    <space for hire>
    tFB Trader
    mike_l said:
    I'll probably need to shift it to raise funds for an AMT so I'd sell it for £70 if that floats your boat?
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    @monquixote I'm also interested in hearing what people think of the B2, let us know what its like if you get your hands on one. 
    ah, clever. I love gaming the system - that's a great find - have a wisdom :)
    tFB Trader
    It would be more likely I'd get a B1, but I'll review it if I get my hands on one.
  • It would be more likely I'd get a B1, but I'll review it if I get my hands on one.
    The only things missing from the B1 are the preamp out (minus the cab sim) and the clean channel, which is the same on all of them.
    <space for hire>
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for that @digitalscream, do you have any idea why the Bogner didn't sound good straight into your power amp?

I appreciate that the lack of clean channel on bypass is a bit of an issue, but not insurmountable though.

I presume that running a clean boost straight after an AMT would bring the signal level up for a line level return OK?  Or are there any problems with that solution that you know about?    Cheers, Chris.

tFB Trader
    Hmm, it might be worth having the fender mode in case my amp goes pop at a gig. 

But the 1 series seem to be about £25 cheaper. 
  • Thanks for that @digitalscream, do you have any idea why the Bogner didn't sound good straight into your power amp?

I appreciate that the lack of clean channel on bypass is a bit of an issue, but not insurmountable though.

I presume that running a clean boost straight after an AMT would bring the signal level up for a line level return OK?  Or are there any problems with that solution that you know about?    Cheers, Chris.
    I've no idea why the Bogner didn't sound good - I put it down to some form of witchcraft in the AMT pedals Mr Bogner doesn't know about...

I would assume that's fine too :) The problem I had is that the LS-2 doesn't like line level signals at any point, so it goes nasty and clippy. You could use a passive loop switch if you wanted, though.
    <space for hire>
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:
    I'll probably need to shift it to raise funds for an AMT so I'd sell it for £70 if that floats your boat?

You know I loves me a Marshall, or 4......

Let me know.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i've seen these before, mainly because i saw one on @digitalscream pedalboard...and fell upon the one thats based on the Orange amps...the O2...as a result of the demo, its now high up on my list!