Metallica "Easy" Guitar book

What's Hot
LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 46
edited December 2016 in Theory
I was given the Metallica (black album) Easy Guitar book for Christmas. A sticker on the front cover says "With Tablature" Except the not all the music is in Tab, I'd say 40 to 50% of the songs show proper music. For example the Verses of Sad but true do not show any tab at all. Bit disappointed really as I can't read music, and don't want to arse about learning to either. 
Has anyone else got this book and discovered the same? Am I missing or not understanding something?

Can anyone help me work out what the bit circled means please? Have to tune down a whole step so the 6th string is a D which is confusing me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 171
    That circled 6 isn't part of standard notation as far as I'm aware.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • So is it an E chord? I cant work it out as the whole thing is down a tone.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 724
    edited January 1
    The musical score is not the guitar part, it's actually the vocal melody. The chords above the score are guitar chords but they have no relation to how the riffs and rhythms are actually played on the guitar neck. Just a general indication of the chord to play over the vocals, if you were strumming along on an acoustic for example (not that anyone would do that to a Metallica song!)

Pretty useless if you ask me. A decent YouTube tutorial would be a lot more useful for learning the songs.
  • I had a look at a tab online and it looks like it has chords shown for standard tuning so the E is actually a D.  the D is a C and the Bb is Ab.

Is there a key (no pun intended) at the back of the book?
  • Thanks. I've checked the book twice, no mention of the chord shapes being in a different key / tuning.

Theres a very basic list of definitions for guitar notation on the first page, but that's it.

Crap book, unfortunately.
  • It's pretty common to list the chords in lower tuning as the same chords you'd play in in standard tuning, because it's the chord shape that matters, not the tonality. It would be rather confusing if you had to play all your chords differently for each drop tuning!
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 46
    edited December 2016
    Yeah i guess so, shame they didnt make that clear. 

• CaffeinedCaffeined Frets: 13
    Sad But True, whole guitar is tuned down a whole step. Do open 6 string is a D.
    I have the full tab book, so know its right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • sorefingasorefinga Frets: 2
    Yeah, I would read that as play the open 6th string. The old Cherry Lane books quite often had slash notation above the staff for simple riffs (chord name, rhythm etc.) and they would notate single strings like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter