Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Custom Shop Amp.... £9k...!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    For an amp of that price thats supposedly got all these bespoke vintage components I'd have thought they'd have done better than a Celestion Fullback that you can pick up for £99 new!
    At least it'll have unique insect bites (aka wood worm) in it though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:
    The crazy thing is, I bet that amp is already sold before it hits the shop floor.
    But don't worry, it will be available at a more sensible price in a few months when he gets tired of it.
    So @Wazmeister has already bought it then?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Cacofonix said:
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:
    The crazy thing is, I bet that amp is already sold before it hits the shop floor.
    But don't worry, it will be available at a more sensible price in a few months when he gets tired of it.
    So @Wazmeister has already bought it then?
    Not yet mate, but I'll keep you posted ! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    nickb_boy said:
    For an amp of that price thats supposedly got all these bespoke vintage components I'd have thought they'd have done better than a Celestion Fullback that you can pick up for £99 new!
    At least it'll have unique insect bites (aka wood worm) in it though
    Also would expect some NOS or boutique valves in there, not Ruby and EHX! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    miserneil said:
    Just as well. I wouldn't want to buy it after it hits the shop floor.
    That 100 year old pine must be quite brittle by now.
  • Wow! Thought at least someone might like it? Come on guys, it's a limited edition 1 of 5 in the world, is it worth the sum of its parts? Of course not but that's not really what it's about. Will it go to a rich collector? Almost certainly but isn't that where 95% of all PRS private stock and Murphy aged limited edition Les Paul's go anyway? I love it, and I don't really care what it costs, it's just another piece of gear to lust after. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited January 2017
    riccash69 said:
    Wow! Thought at least someone might like it? Come on guys, it's a limited edition 1 of 5 in the world, is it worth the sum of its parts? Of course not but that's not really what it's about. Will it go to a rich collector? Almost certainly but isn't that where 95% of all PRS private stock and Murphy aged limited edition Les Paul's go anyway? I love it, and I don't really care what it costs, it's just another piece of gear to lust after.

I can in no way ever get excited about a brown wooden box,  amps for me are purely a tool we need, I could never lust after one, (obviously only my opinion) 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Limited to 5 because somebody somewhere chose that number.

Not the same as something limited because that's all they made in 1959 or whatever.

If Fender choose to they could flick a switch and crank out another 10,000 of these if they wanted to.

Gibson can't do the same with actual 59 LPs. 

It is what it is, Supply/Demand,  etc.
  • This is all getting very silly indeed  
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    If someone wants to buy it fair play to them, I have no issue with it.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited January 2017
    ICBM said:
    For 9k the could solder the bleedin switches FFS.
    They could fit a more appropriate speaker than that ceramic Celestion too. And better valves.

Looking more closely at the inside pic, the standby switch is in the wrong place in the circuit so it will probably blow rectifier valves, and it looks like the fusing is the same stupid arrangement that led to this…

That's the inside of a Custom Shop Twin-o-lux after a valve short caused the socket to vitrify itself and burn out the wiring loom, because there is no HT fuse only a pointless filament one.

Not impressed, even at "only" two grand. £9K is taking the piss.
    Your posts on amps like this make me depressed. How can they make an amp with such design flaws? Strikes me that they simply don't care or aren't good enough at circuit design to know? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited January 2017
    Your posts on amps like this make me depressed. How can they make an amp with such design flaws? Strikes me that they simply don't care or aren't good enough at circuit design to know? 
    I don't know, but I would have to guess it's lack of real-world experience in amp repairs. I'm only a small-time amp tech and things like this are obvious to me.

It baffles me that large companies get things like this wrong so often too, but they do. The irony is that many modern amps are unnecessarily over-fused to comply with EU guidelines and sometimes suffer from 'nuisance blows', so why Fender decided to ignore them on these makes even less sense. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• riccash69 said:
    Wow! Thought at least someone might like it? Come on guys, it's a limited edition 1 of 5 in the world, is it worth the sum of its parts? Of course not but that's not really what it's about. Will it go to a rich collector? Almost certainly but isn't that where 95% of all PRS private stock and Murphy aged limited edition Les Paul's go anyway? I love it, and I don't really care what it costs, it's just another piece of gear to lust after. 
    I did say if I had the money...I would buy it...:)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • riccash69 said:
    I did say if I had a spare £9k I'd buy it.... :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • riccash69 said:
    I did say if I had a spare £9k I'd buy it.... :)