2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    More like 6 pies for me today than 6 miles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitariguitari Frets: 19
    25k for me this week, total 88.5k

Took just over 2mins off last week's 10k time, so happy with that.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    January 28th: 115km+ 10km = 125km.
    End of week 4 and I'm 33km ahead of schedule, which gives me a week and a half in hand.
    Pretty pleased by that.
  • Im in. Been back running a few weeks now and completely booze free since NYE.
    Currently doing about 3/4 a week. Stickin to 7k at the minute but will push to 10k week after next.
    Must say, feeling good at the minute - though old motorbike knees do take a poundin =)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Started the week on 69k. 
    6k Monday, 7 Thursday, 8 today. Puts me on 90k so far. 
    Really enjoyed today's effort, I went up through the old town to the Castle & Calton Hill.  Beautiful day here. 
    8k Sunday, 7 yesterday and 7 today. 112 done thus far. 
    Today was a bit rough, freezing cold & dark when I went out this morning- I knew I had to get out early as I've been at a kids party most of the day. 
    Working tomorrow morning means another 10k first thing- I left my bike at work on Friday as an excuse to run to collect it. 

Start of week 5: 

January 28th: 125km + 5km = 130km.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Managed 9.5 miles today. Felt a bit knackered, which surprised me as Friday's run was great.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Another short run for me - 6 km, but this time I had company! I was visiting my parents over the weekend and one of my old friends from home is getting into running so I went out with him which was very enjoyable.
    January running total: 33 km.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    nice easy 9 miler this morning. Pulled back over xmas so had affected running but back to normal now so all felt good last few days and fine this morning. Although had the all clear from physio it didn't feel right so took last week off to make sure. I have a race in 4 weeks so rather lose a week now and be race fit. Did gym work this week instead and 9 miler felt fine so no fitness lost. You have to listen to your body with running or niggles can build up and cause an injury.

4 miler planned for tomorrow night so will finish January on 120 miles (193k). A bit down on distance but healthy is more important.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    eSully said:
    I must have jinxed myself in my last post. I think I'm out of action for a little bit as my knees are absolutely shot. I'm getting knee pain going up and down stairs since the last run. Not good, I've been having reoccurring issues with my knees over the last couple of years that go away with a little rest but really I'm long overdue seeing a physiotherapist about it as it keeps coming back. Having a look around for someone close now - Hopefully won't be out for too long!
    @eSully ;;

Oh no! Firstly make sure quads aren't tight. They can pull on the knee.

Also look at how you run. Lots of runners with knee pain - runners knee - overstride. This means that the foot lands in front of the knee out front, heel first and usually with a fairly straightened leg too. Lots of impact forces through the knee and quads.

A simple fix is to shorten your stride and increase your speed of feet (cadence). The shorter stride reduces the over striding and starts to train the body to land the foot under the knee (not enough time for it to go out front). It also starts to develop a stride that pushes from the back of the body (glutes and hams) rather than pulling with the quads.  Ideally cadence is around 180 steps per minute (counting both feet landings) but only increase a little at a time e.g. 6-10. If you use an app like strava it'll tell you the cadence or there are specific apps out there to train it (a metronome basically).

It can take a few runs/weeks to get the hang of it but worth persisting. I had marathon runner last year who everytime she went over about 10 miles in training used to get terrible knee pain and couldnt walk for several days. We adjusted her foot landing by reducing overstriding and cadence and with a couple of weeks she was running fine and trained well for the marathon getting a 4:14 for first one!  It was a night and day difference.

Some videos that may help.

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/what-is-over-striding-distance-running-vs-sprint-technique/

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/running-technique-6-ways-to-improve-efficiency/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Wis! I do around 180 cadence, or I did when I last checked. It's pretty difficult landing too far forward in VFFs or sandals anyway, although still possible for form to go to pot as I found out to my cost.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Thanks @mcsdan - Great advice on here as always.

Yes, I think there might be an element of over-stride, I was really pushing myself for pace on the run that caused my knees to really hurt. I've also seen articles about how some knee pain can be caused from the hips not being as strong as they should be. I do use strava (I'm in theFB group) so I'll keep an eye for the cadence feature. Had not noticed that before. At the moment my left knee is still not right so not risking running on it for a little longer. I have an appointment with a sports physio this afternoon as I want to sort this out permanently.
  • I got 1.5km and my ankle gave up.

It's not been ok since I twisted it badly about 18 years ago and damaged some of the soft tissue and ignored advice to keep rested.  I usually use an ankle brace while doing any sport and the ones I have are starting to get to the end of their lives, so I got a new one to try this weekend.

Right now I've got my feet up and the new brace has been chucked on the discard pile. 

Here's hoping that I'll be ok to go running on Wednesday.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    Wis! I do around 180 cadence, or I did when I last checked. It's pretty difficult landing too far forward in VFFs or sandals anyway, although still possible for form to go to pot as I found out to my cost.

I prefer lower drop more minimum too. I'm on 4mm atm and working in zero drop.  Good cadence, it does vary and of course the distance/speed is a variable too but generally around that mark is fine.
    eSully said:
    Thanks @mcsdan - Great advice on here as always.

Yes, I think there might be an element of over-stride, I was really pushing myself for pace on the run that caused my knees to really hurt. I've also seen articles about how some knee pain can be caused from the hips not being as strong as they should be. I do use strava (I'm in theFB group) so I'll keep an eye for the cadence feature. Had not noticed that before. At the moment my left knee is still not right so not risking running on it for a little longer. I have an appointment with a sports physio this afternoon as I want to sort this out permanently.
    Excellent. Fingers crossed it gets sorted.  Weak or tight hips can be an issue - another common problem.  Let me know how you get on and hopefully you'll be back running soon. :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    I reckon that taking extra recovery time when injured is much better than taking too little.  Nothing slows progress more than being injured.    Running too much or, more accurately too fast too often aren't good either.  

Coming back after my ablation has forced me to run slowly.  Since I started back in December I've done 90% of my running in HR zone 1 and 2.  No speed work at all.  Just by doing this, my time for the 4 miles to work has come down from 44mins to 37mins.  
    More importantly I've been completely injury free.  My plan is to those another 5lbs then start to introduce some speed work.  My hope is that this period of easy running will have strengthened my body enough that it will be able to support the faster running without injury. 

Look up Phil Maffetone or the MAF. Lots of useful info on Z2 training for both increasing aerobic capacity and ability of body to burn fats as fuel :-)
    Also Matt Fitzgerald is along similar line. Personally I prefer Matt's 80/20 since I think you should develop all areas of running rather than focus on just one element.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    82km + 5km = 87km
    January 30th: 130km + 5km = 135km.