2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited January 2017
    octatonic said:
    A long, slow wet one today.
    Jogging does that to my digestion too.
    I wondered who would make a joke about that.
    Surprised that it was you, to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    edited January 2017
    +4k = 20k.
    I like the treadmill but running on the incline this machine has even at its lowest level is definitely tougher than out on the pavements. Major sweat on this morning so all is good.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    25km total. 15km planned for thurs. finding the long runs very, very boring but need to do them as I've got a half marathon coming up in Feb. After that I'm going to stick to 10km I think. 
    kjdowd said:
    25km total. 15km planned for thurs. finding the long runs very, very boring but need to do them as I've got a half marathon coming up in Feb. After that I'm going to stick to 10km I think. 
    Boredom is an issue for me.
    I reharmonise jazz standards in my head when I am running.
    Gives my brain something to do whilst my body crunches through the miles.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    octatonic said:
    kjdowd said:
    I often listen to audiobooks or radio plays.

Currently working my way through Andy Hamilton's "Old Harry's Game" to keep me amused.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    octatonic said:
    kjdowd said:

Currently working my way through Andy Hamilton's "Old Harry's Game" to keep me amused.
    Similar, although I haven't done many long runs this year when I was training for the half marathon last year I listened to a lot of podcasts while I was running. For 5km runs where I'm trying to do a decent time I tend to put on some rock/metal playlists but they don't work for runs longer than a half hour.

Should get an evening run in this evening.
    Today I'm starting one of the Runkeeper 'improve your 5K time' type programmes.

So this evening will be a 20 minute fast / slow interval thing, of 4 mins fast then 1 min slow and repeat for 20 mins.
    Then on Thursday its 400m fast with a target time, then 200m brisk walk, then another 400m etc.
    Then Sunday 4.8K with some interval elements. Next week the same but with each session increased in time a little.

Will be interesting to see whether it works!

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    eSully said:
    octatonic said:
    kjdowd said:

Similar, although I haven't done many long runs this year when I was training for the half marathon last year I listened to a lot of podcasts while I was running. For 5km runs where I'm trying to do a decent time I tend to put on some rock/metal playlists but they don't work for runs longer than a half hour.

Should get an evening run in this evening.
    Personally I have no problem not getting bored training for a half. Training for a 20-miler a few years ago was a bit meh, but that was also because I was having to think about refuelling and feeling crap for the rest of a Saturday when I did 17-mile LSRs.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
    edited January 2017
    Parkrun in Bristol (Ashton Court) used to be very good but I think the numbers are too high now. It's a real crush at the start and since the simplest way to improve your PB is push to the front, you end up caught behind a huge mob of people who are very difficult to overtake, plus the path is still used by pedestrians, cyclists etc. You can go off the park to overtake but there is an incline to the side of the path which is a great way to twist your ankle, and I've seen a few people take a tumble at the start from a clipped heel. Obviously park run is for everyone but it's reached the point where I don't really enjoy it due to the constraints of the course. It might be better if they moved the start point a bit further back from where it normally is so there is a longer flat stretch for the field to sort itself out.

I've done a bit of park run tourism though and actually found other places are much better in terms of numbers/path width so if I moved I'd probably do it more. (yes I know, complaining about a completely free running event etc etc)

Speaking of running events, has anyone else signed up for the Bristol 10k?
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    +4k = 24k.
    Today I'm starting one of the Runkeeper 'improve your 5K time' type programmes.

So this evening will be a 20 minute fast / slow interval thing, of 4 mins fast then 1 min slow and repeat for 20 mins.
    Then on Thursday its 400m fast with a target time, then 200m brisk walk, then another 400m etc.
    Then Sunday 4.8K with some interval elements. Next week the same but with each session increased in time a little.

Will be interesting to see whether it works!

To be honest I think it depends where you are with your 5k running. I started Parkrun doing 24 to 25 minutes, and just by fairly sedate training (no zones, no intervals etc) I got down to 20:36 in a few years of the usual patchy training. Then I think is where targeted training would have helped to get me closer to 20 minutes and possibly under.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    @littlethoughts The Cardiff Park run sounds the exact same as Bristol. It had 821 runners last weekend along the little paths in Bute park so passing people out until at least 2/3km in is pretty much off the cards. I don't worry about pace or time for park run, I'm usually pushing a double buggy anyway.

Got 7.2km in last night.
    I'm built like a prop forward and it takes me 40 mins for 5k on a (very) good day so far.

The likelihood of me ever getting to 30 mins is minuscule.
    I'm built like a prop forward and it takes me 40 mins for 5k on a (very) good day so far.

Believe in yourself, mate.
    I said to myself "I'm not built for running" for years.
    It is totally self defeating and it isn't true.

In just over a year I've gone from doing 5km in well over 30 mins to getting it down to under 25 mins all of the time and under  21mins several times now.
    It takes time and effort but it is doable.

Keep going, you'll get there- and you are doing it, so you're already ahead of where you would have been if you never had tried in the first place.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I thought Tredegar House at 400-odd was a lot! I'm hoping that the new riverside run will stay unpopular for a while.
    octatonic said:

Believe in yourself, mate.
    I said to myself "I'm not built for running" for years.
    It is totally self defeating and it isn't true.

In just over a year I've gone from doing 5km in well over 30 mins to getting it down to under 25 mins all of the time and under  21mins several times now.
    It takes time and effort but it is doable.

Keep going, you'll get there- and you are doing it, so you're already ahead of where you would have been if you never had tried in the first place.
    That's true enough.

I started this because a cardiologist told me to choose whether I lived or didn't. (Resting HR was about 115!)

It is now 60-65.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSully said:
    @littlethoughts The Cardiff Park run sounds the exact same as Bristol. It had 821 runners last weekend along the little paths in Bute park so passing people out until at least 2/3km in is pretty much off the cards. I don't worry about pace or time for park run, I'm usually pushing a double buggy anyway.

Got 7.2km in last night.
    Very impressive! It would make so much more sense if they just got everyone to line up next to the time they expect to do it in as in a bigger race. That way the person in front of you is always pulling away, and you are in turn are pulling away from the person behind you. That would instantly open the field out a bit and give room for people to overtake who are faster/slower than those around them, and probably improve everyones times.
    A short 3.5km added this evening.

Thought I'd better bail out when bits of tree and the odd roof tile started coming down in the wind. Heard a tile shatter on the road somewhere close in the dark. Scared the crap out of me!

Total now 23.5K
    I've had yesterday and today off.
    Planning on doing 8km again tomorrow before the snow comes in.
    If I do 3 x 8km runs a week then I hit my target.
  • Managed 4km this morning. Bloody awful weather.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo