The last RIP of 2016...

BucketBucket Frets: 7751
For a number of years, I had half-known the owner of my local pet shop in my home town - my aunt worked there many years ago and remained great friends with him. My parents were on first-name terms with him as well, and he also used to come into the shop I worked in every Sunday to buy his weekly food shop - I often served him, I think he knew who I was but I'm not sure. Seemed fit and well, and looked young for his age - I discovered he was 63, but he probably could have passed for ten years younger. He lived above the shop and kept a load of animals - including a few dogs, whom he absolutely adored.

On Christmas Day I saw my aunt for the first time in a little while, and she told us that he was in hospital following a bunch of really serious health problems which had all come along at once very recently. Saddest of all, he'd had to sign the paperwork to allow his animals to be rehomed, as he was no longer able to look after them. I last saw him a couple of months ago and there was no indication anything was wrong with him. My dad told me when I came home today that he had died in hospital last night.

I feel awkward about posting this because it doesn't feel like my business, and he wasn't someone I knew that closely, but it's been very upsetting to my aunt in particular and it's affected me more than I thought it might. Rest in peace, Roger. :(
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't really know to say that can mean anything, but I'm sorry to hear about that chap, and I hope you and your aunt feel stronger and better soon. It's funny how things like that can catch us unawares and make us feel more emotional than we'd expect.

My sympathies.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I lost a friend on Boxing day. A wonderful woman who helped to change many lives for the better. Sadly she had dementia for the past 4 years or so. I was very involved with activities with her and her husband from 9 years old up to around 20, and they definitely shaped my life for the better. I saw them most weeks for the rest of my life until 4 years ago when they had to move away. Rest in peace Josie.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom