PHASER PEOPLE!! Small Stones - EHX, any clones?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
edited January 2017 in FX
I'm wondering about a Small Stone. I've always fancied a phaser and never had one but the Radiohead thing appeals far more than the EVH side of phase-land. Which brings me to the Small Stone. I understand all the new ones are shite, but how bad exactly? Is it worth spending extra on an old big-box USA version or are they actually a bit shite too? They at least look a lot better from pictures (inside and out!)

Is there someone else making the same circuit to a better standard?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    If you're feeling soldery, build this version: http://lectric-fx.com/product/spaceharp/

Fixes everything wrong with the SS. Original, like a lot of EHX stuff, can be a little noisy.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Small Stones are nice - not my favourites though I do like the model in  Guitar Rig! If I were going for one I'd be tempted to get an older one. Mind you, I don't know whether there are any decent clones although I'm sure I saw somewhere that the Behringer one isn't too bad.
  • Ooh, I noticed a Bad Stone PCB on the Lectrix site! Definitely having one of those!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited January 2017
    They've done a lot of old EHX stuff, I think I've built most of them and they're all good.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Not really in the mood for self-build unless it's a full kit. Living in the desert means getting components is a pain. 

I'm liking the look of the Blackout Sibling. Bit pricey new but there's one in Japan at a reasonable price...
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    New ones shit?

Utter internet bollocks. I've got a new ish SS and it's wonderful - minimal background noise, great sweep and sounds like the vintage ones are supposed to sound.

Dont believe everything you read - go and TRY one for yourself and let your ears decide rather than have the decision taken by committee on forums!!

Oh and my SS cost £35 s/h delivered.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @impmann I'm talking more about reliability than sound. Every week there's someone new with a broken EHX pedal on here!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    Was in a band with someone who had a small stone. He had two break on him then got an mxr.

Get a phase 95 does script and phase 45 so you can do subtle as well as sea sick.

Edit a quick Google suggests it's 4 stage like a 90 anyway. The mxr script switch is the same as the colour switch on the small stone.
  • Always wondered what Waylon Jennings used. Might be a phase 90. I used to use an old EHX years ago, but lost it or sold it can't remember now. It's the one thing that my G3X is shit at. 
  • I've had a couple of SS from vintage to brand new, as well as a couple of phase 90s over the years but I'm happy with the small mooer one I currently have on my board that was £20. Sounds better than the modern SS and as good and chewy as a phase 90. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Loved my nano small stone. Perfect radiohead
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    impmann said:
    New ones shit?

Utter internet bollocks. I've got a new ish SS and it's wonderful - minimal background noise, great sweep and sounds like the vintage ones are supposed to sound.

Dont believe everything you read - go and TRY one for yourself and let your ears decide rather than have the decision taken by committee on forums!!

Oh and my SS cost £35 s/h delivered.
    Fair point well made.

However, when considering a long-distance purchase I find myself consulting forums and reviews, and if there is a large body of negative opinion, one does tend to take some notice. However with regard to EH, there does seem to be a bit of an excess of negativity! And a lot of that seems to be due to reliability issues that I (maybe I'm just lucky) have never experienced.
    Was in a band with someone who had a small stone. He had two break on him then got an mxr.

Get a phase 95 does script and phase 45 so you can do subtle as well as sea sick.

Edit a quick Google suggests it's 4 stage like a 90 anyway. The mxr script switch is the same as the colour switch on the small stone.
    This is my concern! The issue with MXR is that, despite all the different options on the market, none of them really sound like a Small Stone. 
  • MPHMPH Frets: 56
    If you are looking for something in the small stone area, you might also want to consider the TrueTone (formerly Visual Sound) Oil Can Phaser.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Not broken an EH pedal yet.

Maybe I'm not trying hard enough! ;-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Maybe it's worth trying a cheapie Small Stone until I kill it...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    If you aren't gigging it then go for it.
    Yeah, home only. I wouldn't mind upgrading switch & pots if needed too, and can at least fix them if they die. I'm just pretty convinced it's the SS thing I want more than the MXR, so why not.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    Yeah. Mine's ok, but then I don't gig. It sounds good to me, though I haven't tried an original.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not really in the mood for self-build unless it's a full kit. Living in the desert means getting components is a pain. 

I'm liking the look of the Blackout Sibling. Bit pricey new but there's one in Japan at a reasonable price...
    I love a bit of phaser from the Small Stone (rather than Phase90) camp. I too was frustrated with the lack of Small Stone derivatives but I would strongly advise not going for the Sibling, it remains the quickest pedal I've ever turned around, sounds weak and insipid, very dissaponting as they have a good repeutation with the bigger Whetstone.

I say go for the Nano Small Stone, it has its faults (noisey, poorly built, teeny tiny volume drop still) but nothing quite gets that slightly wild and unpredictable phase sound, and as they cost about £4.50 you can afford to replace it ever year.