2016's final pedals

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
edited January 2017 in FX
Picked up an Orion and a Slide rig over Christmas. Been getting into slide and country over the last 6 months, so these two will be interesting additions to the collections. 

not had chance to plug them in yet, but the slide rig is HUGE. Something really nice about big box pedals.

Now can I keep my hands off my wallet through 2017?

BTW Kudos to spaceman for providing a 5 year - transferable warranty! not many companies doing that!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They are beautiful, congrats!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Thanks - I'm a big fan of Origin fx, so pretty sure the Slide Rig will deliver.

Very intrigued about spacemen stuff in general - there seems to be a bit of a love-hate thing going on with TGP and I'm not sure I buy into his whole secret mission malarkey. Orion will be paired with an empress trem to compare with the Strymon flint.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Congrats - I picked up a Cali 76 on the 30th.

Absolutely blown away, at last a compressor pedal I like!

Enjoy

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I didn't get a chance to try the sliderig, but comparing the big box cali76 to the compact deluxe, I could really hear the magic of the transformer in the big box version. If you can afford the space it's a no brainer.
    I see all the big boxes are now discontinued. I really like my Cali 76 CD - easily the best compressor I've had, so if you can hear a difference to the big box versions, they must be stunning.
  • I never really "got" compressors until I bought my Xotic SP which has the blend control to mix the compressed and uncompressed signal. I really like it as part of a funky Nile Rogers-type sound and  for long sustaining notes  in solos rather than whacking the gain up on an overdrive pedal which changes the tone.

Personally, I think I prefer the compact version of any pedal though...that  full-size one is huge.
    I see all the big boxes are now discontinued. I really like my Cali 76 CD - easily the best compressor I've had, so if you can hear a difference to the big box versions, they must be stunning.
    Don't get me wrong, the CD is absolutely fantastic. The iron from the lundhal transformer in the big box I tried added some mojo, to my ears at least.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    V interested to hear your experience with the Orion. Have a Flint myself - love the options and flexibility (and the gorgeous '61 trem) but feeling the need for a real spring reverb. Contemplating the Headroom...
    let us know how the Orion fares.
    cheers
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Nice one. I bought an Orion at the end of November. It's fantastic. It can do all the washed out lofi 60's sounds as well as the classier cleaner stuff. Bet you'll have hours of fun. Can't say I give a monkees what people over on TGP say or think however ;')
    @Lew im pleased to hear that as I think it's the lofi stuff where I feel spring emulations tend to fail. 
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    What else is there, Spring reverb wise in pedal form the orion looks great but its quite spendy, I saw a fender reverb tank kit i was considering building. I had the danelectro one, but if the amp was louder than a whisper it vibrated, and it was pretty noisy although the kick pad thing was fun when you intended to do it. which most of the time I didn't. Sorry for the derail.
    Other real spring options are headroom, solemate, sinusoid.

There are a couple of others but names escape me. There is also a really trashy fuzz / reverb with the tank on the outside that looks fun.
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    A guy i worked with used to run a Little desk with a reverb tank from an old amp. Setup on an aux that was a lot of fun. But he ran keys through the desk. He played it with a slide sometimes. obviously theres an impedance mismatch but you could get some great sounds. I only mention it because, I saw the pedal with the open tank and thought it looked cool.
    edited January 2017
    Well, first impressions of the Orion.

A nice naturel spring reverb it is not. For that lush natural spring reverb sound look else where. I think the short spring sound will take some getting used to. There is a sort of metallic / can type quality to the sound. I would not want this as my only reverb. IT has it's place though and I do like it overall. I think it will go well with some fuzz and some cleans.

Controls are responsive and have a big impact on the sound,

Jury out for now.

Edit: Oh and I hate those damn Blue Jewel lights. Who on earth thinks those are a good idea.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    So how is the Orion settling in after some time with it?
    nickb_boy said:
    Mixed. I'm having noise issues with my amp. Dead quiet with helix though. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9527
    nickb_boy said:
    Mixed. I'm having noise issues with my amp. Dead quiet with helix though. 
    TGP, as you probably know, reported this many times with some of the Orions...
    @Teetonal. I know what you mean.i tried the headroom and the Demeter. It's great in principal, but the short springs just don't give you that depth.

How are you finding the sliderig? Are you using it specifically for slide playing, or more general playing antics?
    The sliderig is awesome. Personally just using it for slide I find it quite a weighty compression. That said it makes a lead sound sing. Would also love to hear it with sn ebow.

I prefer the cali cd for its blend knob for normal guitar.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I get no noise from my Orion with a Cioks DC10.

If you're looking for a fullsized Fender amp reverb tank or a 6G15 then yer probably better off with something else. It's a short 2 spring reverb. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom