Behringer UM2 audio interface - any experience?

I've been talking to my nephew about recording guitar and music in general. He's keen to get started but is strapped for cash. Recommended audio interfaces like the Focusrite Scarlet or Steinberg UR22 are all around the £100 mark, new.

Of course a preferred option is a secondhand unit like the above (and there's a UR22 in the classifieds right now), but as an alternative, StudioSpares have the Behringer UM2 for a smidge under £27.

That's a big difference. So is it any good, does anyone know? 

Cheers for any info!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Looks like a copy of the Steinberg one that's the model under the UR22, in terms of sound quality it should be great, pretty much the same as the Steinberg.  The Steinberg one does come with a lite version of Cubase though
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    John_A said:
    Looks like a copy of the Steinberg one that's the model under the UR22, in terms of sound quality it should be great, pretty much the same as the Steinberg.  The Steinberg one does come with a lite version of Cubase though
    Thanks, that's useful to know. I found a video review that says it is somewhat plasticy in construction but functionally fine.

As for a DAW, I've suggested he use Reaper, not least because he can try it for free for a while and I can help him since that's what I use. The Behringer does come with a load of plugins though according to the Behringer web site.
  • If it helps I have an Edirol UA-25EX he could have for £40? Fantastic piece of kit.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Thanks @LooseMoose, that looks good - is that the same as the Roland UA-25EX? That's what comes up when I do a search.

The problem is that he's not sure if he wants to (or can afford to) get it right now - if he did I would be interested.
  • That's the one - yours if you want it :)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    markv said:
    John_A said:
    Thanks, that's useful to know. I found a video review that says it is somewhat plasticy in construction but functionally fine.

As for a DAW, I've suggested he use Reaper, not least because he can try it for free for a while and I can help him since that's what I use. The Behringer does come with a load of plugins though according to the Behringer web site.
    If you are using reaper then the Behringer is a bargain, even got phantom power