Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Shergold Guitars Are Back

What's Hot

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited January 2017
    How not to design a website:

Lots of hi-res, superfluous graphics ensuring it takes ages to load.
    Links that don't behave as the user will expect.
    Hide the appearance of the actual product behind several clicks and a whole bunch of graphic design that you're apparently more proud of than the product itself.
    Obnoxious pseudo-hipster visuals, apparently designed to give a frisson of exclusivity to your generic product.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    mixolyd said:

Hide the appearance of the actual product behind several clicks and a whole bunch of graphic design that you're apparently more proud of than the product itself.
    Obnoxious pseudo-hipster visuals, apparently designed to give a frisson of exclusivity to your generic product.

So you like it then? ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolyd said:

Spot on.

I might add that it's also to disguise the fact that there's no product range there, just a shergold meets tele, with a few pup options.

Nothing to see here really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I knew this was on the way. Very well designed guitars, they'll do just fine.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017

It will come as no surprise to many of you that I have much affection for old-school Shergold, Hayman, etc guitars.

Got to say though, IMHO...the "new" Shergold range seem to share no DNA and don't bring anything new (or rather, "old") to the table.

Not for me, sorry.

And the website? Shocking. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • So the only thing Shergold-ish about them is the upper horn? 

I do like the look of the gigbag / cases. That's it though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    edited January 2017
    8 mins on the site so far and I've yet to see a full shot of a guitar. 
    fucking hipster bollocks

Ok now I see them,  and they look nice,  all rosewood neck really looks the biz,  nice body shape but a tele bridge looks wrong,  and no doubt performs wrong, like a tele bridge. 
    decent value imo. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    They look well priced. But they look awful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I think people are being a bit harsh. The biggest mistake is calling them Shergold, roughly no one is crying out for a Shergold, how many of you lot bemoaning the lack of vintage correct detail would actually buy a vintage correct one?

I agree with one poster that UK madw pickups would be better than the SD's, but I quite like the look of the Hum/P90 one, neck looks great. Not many generic guitars have a rosewood neck.

Best news is that PJE is behind the design, he knows a thing or two about guitars.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

I thought I'd gone to the Joe Brown's website by mistake. WTF?

They'll need a complete new website in a few months; the hipster thing must be reaching it's zenith (nadir?) soon. Then it will look very, very silly. Well, it already looks very silly, but soon even hipsters will realise that they all look like c*nts.

Assuming they haven't gone bust by then anyway.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you've launched a new guitar and I need to click about 18 links to see a full picture of it then you're doing something very wrong. Disastrous website. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    I think people are being a bit harsh. The biggest mistake is calling them Shergold, roughly no one is crying out for a Shergold, how many of you lot bemoaning the lack of vintage correct detail would actually buy a vintage correct one?

I would... I do. I've owned *a lot* of Shergold/Hayman guitars. I'd love to see a re-issued Masq, perhaps with a slightly easier to use user interface and a more solid bridge (or a trem). The original pickups and the sound they created are what drew me to them - and the superb maple necks on the original guitars - so to have done away with both those things makes me, as a MASSIVE Shergold fan, think "why do I want one?"

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Honestly you miserably lot. Yes the home page hipster images are graiting but it took me two clicks to get to the guitar I wanted to see. Click "the guitars" then click one of the three models you want to look at. It's not difficult.

I'd suggest going back to the Gibson website to drool over a different kind of rehash, oh but you can't because the lazy fuckers haven't uploaded their 2017 range yet even though they've been in shops for months. That's the type of website we should be bemoaning. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    Hayman 2020h reissue would make me squeal with delight.
    longshins said:
    Only if it had a vibrasonic chamber... :-)

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Apart from the name, there is nothing which makes these Shergolds. 'Badge-engineering' I'm afraid....
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    On the plus side, there are only 3 different models.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader

It will come as no surprise to many of you that I have much affection for old-school Shergold, Hayman, etc guitars.

Got to say though, IMHO...the "new" Shergold range seem to share no DNA and don't bring anything new (or rather, "old") to the table.

Not for me, sorry.

I'll probably endorse the above - I wish them all the very best but essentially it is a brand new guitar that has borrowed a name from the past - Probably nothing wrong with the guitar, feel, playability, even the style but it isn't a Shergold we've known so on that basis not sure why they don't just create a new brand name and build from that - By all means add new Shergold influenced models that are in keeping with the 21st century, but surely a traditional Shergold should be part of the package
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited January 2017
    longshins said:
    Can I squeal too? loved my Hayman.

Shergold could possibly be successful by bringing out recreations of the originals, maybe with a few sensible improvements. These come across as an Eggle budget brand using the Shergold name.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234

Not for me, sorry.

I'll probably endorse the above - I wish them all the very best but essentially it is a brand new guitar that has borrowed a name from the past - Probably nothing wrong with the guitar, feel, playability, even the style but it isn't a Shergold we've known so on that basis not sure why they don't just create a new brand name and build from that - By all means add new Shergold influenced models that are in keeping with the 21st century, but surely a traditional Shergold should be part of the package
    I think for a genuine way to do much the same thing and manage to retain the original brand values whilst bringing it up to date, you only have to look at Gordon Smith and their new GS1

http://www.edroman.com/detail_sheets/images/bc_rich_bich10_100tpcu.jpg

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom