Replacing a Line 6 pod XT?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    John_A said:
    I'd say get a Helix - I use mine live, use a single preset 90% of the time except for a few U2 songs and I'm amazed at how good it sounds!  I spent yesterday evening playing through a 'proper' amp then plugged the Helix in and it was much better than the real thing, it's like how you would want your amps to sound if you had the luxury of playing a huge rig at big volume which most of us dont
    I've heard very good things about the Helix, AxFx and Kemper which are all state of the art.  Alas, these are too expensive for me at the moment.  Perhaps once prices fall and used version prices drop, I'll check out a Helix.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I would strongly suggest Two Notes Torpedo, I have one and it's wonderful for headphone practice (I just have my pedals straight into it).

AMT also have a cheaper one I believe, likely not so good on the power amp modelling - since it's just an IR box.

Then get a load box (Rat amps do cheap ones) and you're good to go
  • peteri said:
    I would strongly suggest Two Notes Torpedo, I have one and it's wonderful for headphone practice (I just have my pedals straight into it).

AMT also have a cheaper one I believe, likely not so good on the power amp modelling - since it's just an IR box.

Then get a load box (Rat amps do cheap ones) and you're good to go
    Don't forget the AMT discount for Fretboarders. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    mr-mac said:
    I'd go gsp 4 cable with your mesa amp and 1x12 to cover all bases.. good headphone out on gsp and it also shows up as a playback device in windows so can jam along to some music played on pc via headphone socket on gsp
    I have a GSP1101 connected 4 cable method to a Laney IRT Studio. It does cover pretty much everything. I can use the pure modelled amps or the Laney's preamp (just set it in the preset). The modulation effects are good quality and the reverbs are Lexicon.
    Add to that the myriad of options I have to setup to record and it's a very capable package.
    With the C63 firmware on the GSP it's really brought it up to date.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    John_A said:
    I'd say get a Helix - I use mine live, use a single preset 90% of the time except for a few U2 songs and I'm amazed at how good it sounds!  I spent yesterday evening playing through a 'proper' amp then plugged the Helix in and it was much better than the real thing, it's like how you would want your amps to sound if you had the luxury of playing a huge rig at big volume which most of us dont
    How do you monitor your Helix? FRFR cab, as an fx only unit through guitars amp, through 4 cable method into guitar amp or in ear monitors?

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    The desktop Vox ToneLab sounds very good to me. There's something about the random buzz and crackle that brings it to life, like a miked up amp in another room coming through my monitors. How much of this is due to the ECC83 (running as a push-pull output stage) I don't know. Old technology now I know. The pots on mine are beginning to fail - I think they work as analog voltage dividers that control DSP parameters via a D/A. I might have to scour ebay for another one.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    So, the atomic amplifire looks pretty decent. Anyone got one and care to share the good, bad and ugly? Even better if you can compare vs a pod!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    How do you monitor your Helix? FRFR cab, as an fx only unit through guitars amp, through 4 cable method into guitar amp or in ear monitors?
    Use FRFR cab, a Yamaha dxr10, but moving more to just sharing the main monitors and having a bit more guitar through mine.  The bulk of my guitar volume is coming out the PA which sounds a lot better out front than having loud backline.
    @professorben - any details on how that works?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited January 2017
    peteri said:
    @professorben - any details on how that works?
    You talking about the AMT discount?  See my sig for details Two posts up
    Thanks
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    You may want to wait a bit and see if the new Headrush Multi FX is any good, seems to be reasonably priced too
    www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2017-headrush-pedalboard-promises-the-most-versatile-realistic-sounding-and-responsive-models-ever-found-in-a-multi-effects-pedal-646698
    edited January 2017
    Oooh, new, shiny...... Gearpage already up to 10 pages on this (!) Lots of speculation.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-headrush-pedalboard.1782845/

Might wait until after NAMM. But I do need to try out an Amplifire.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited January 2017
    NelsonP said:
    Oooh, new, shiny...... Gearpage already up to 10 pages on this (!) Lots of speculation.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-headrush-pedalboard.1782845/

Might wait until after NAMM. But I do need to try out an Amplifire.
    Jeeps! Doesn't look like the Helix one little bit does it? Cheeper ttan the Helix at £899 and no pointless effects by the look of it and only one effects loop although it's a stereo effects loop. It would be ace if the effects loop could be separated into two separate loops, one for 4cm and the other for a stomp box etc.

I wonder if it has crazy routing abilities too?....
    So, in case anyone else is interested (?!)  I've replaced my POD XT with an Atomic Amplifire, which is a brilliant bit of kit.
    - HD500x is decent, but still not enough of an upgrade over the POD XT. Helix etc too expensive
    - Modelling amps just didn't quite do it for me (although Katana is v good for what it is)
    - Didn't really go down the valve amp route as everyone has said emulated outs on those aren't great.

So comparing the Amplifire vs the POD XT.... the best way to describe it is like the shift from standard to high definition telly.
    At first you think, well its a bit better, but not massively. Then, once you get used to it, there's no going back.
    I would say the biggest difference is in the cleans, which always were a bit of a weak spot for the POD.

Having said that I'm still mightily impressed by the POD XT, especially given that it's 10 years old.