Marshall Code Footswitch - anyone else think this is illogical?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
edited January 2017 in Amps
A green traffic light is go a red traffic light is stop; a green LED is on, a red LED is off.

But not according to Marshall.  For some reason, in its CODE foot controller, when something is 'on' (activated) a red LED is shown, and when it's off, a green LED is shown.  

Perhaps its because Marshall shows the patch number in red, but anyone else think this is still odd?

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I can't say it ever bothers me and I've been using the pedal live for some months now. The way I look at it is that if a section is engaged on the amp then it's LED lights up in red. The pedal is following that convention.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Plectrum said:
    I can't say it ever bothers me and I've been using the pedal live for some months now. The way I look at it is that if a section is engaged on the amp then it's LED lights up in red. The pedal is following that convention.
    This. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I think it's totally logical. Red has always meant 'on' for pedal LEDs, so red still means on but green means "ready but you know it's working".

What I really don't like about it is the pointless shape which will make it harder to put on a pedalboard and that it looks like a cheap early-90s multi-FX unit. I'm not keen on the metal switch buttons but as long as they're soft and not click type ones it's not too bad, and it's pretty hard to find an amp footswitch that doesn't use them anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    What I think is really odd is that bloke's centre parting.

Red light seems fairly logical for something that's in use.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9501
    edited January 2017

Red got in first as LED indicators for technological reasons, yellow, green and blue only became viable to manufacture many years later.

Arguably you don't need green to show it's off, switching the LED on and off should be sufficient.

I bought a new CD player recently that, due to it's "soft" power button, has a tiny red LED that illuminates in standby (i.e. when the unit is off). Now that I find a little illogical.

• Red got in first as LED indicators for technological reasons, yellow, green and blue only became viable to manufacture many years later.

Arguably you don't need green to show it's off, switching the LED on and off should be sufficient.

I bought a new CD player recently that, due to it's "soft" power button, has a tiny red LED that illuminates in standby (i.e. when the unit is off). Now that I find a little illogical.

That's it's eye.
    its watching you. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    There are some Trace Elliot bass amps that have a pushbutton standby/mute switch with a red LED to show it's on… or off… to this day I can't remember which way round the damn thing is. Admittedly I've never owned one, but I've used them at practice rooms and gigs and worked on a few of them - it's just something that makes checking everything is working properly slightly more difficult.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson