Combo (and some head) amp design

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5616

The one thing that winds me up more than any other design 'feature' on lots of combo amps, and some heads now, is the placement of the controls facing upwards at the back of the amp.  Think Peavey Classic, Fender Hotrod & Bassbreaker and you'll know what I mean.

I get that it's a convenient way to build the amp and thus saves the buyer some money at point of purchase, and that historically it was a good place when players would sit/stand behind their amps, but in the modern day a totally useless place to put them.

Difficult to see and adjust, especially in dim light which kind of describes most venues you're likely to play and you can't stack other amps/cabs/equipment on top easily and still have access to tweak settings, not that access is great anyway.  And should you use a tilt back amp stand then it just gets worse.

I can almost excuse the fact that combo amps are built like that, but when that design makes its way to a head it's a bit of a WTF moment.  Again, I get that it's easy for mass production as the chassis doesn't have to be any different to the combo version but I think I'd rather pay a bit more to have the dials on the front face of the amp where I can see and adjust them better.

I guess you could flip the head version over so the dials are forward facing but might not do much to prevent overheating.

Lunchtime rant over.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Lunchtime rant 100% agreed with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    And here. I've been banging on about this for ages.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    I prefer to mount the chassis like a blackface amp or Marshall JCM800 combo for the same reason, but if you are not carefull the chassis and toggle switches can get very hot.
  • I'm a confimed combo fan and I've had both top-mounted and front mounted controls. I really like the top-mounted ones. I've never actually used a head but I can imagine that  front-mounted is definitely the way to go.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    And I know at least one tall guitarist who doesn't like front mounted controls on combo amps because he has to squat down to see them....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    I like top mounted. Adjusting front mounted is a pain when you're standing up. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    It doesn't matter where you put them, for at least 50% of people at least 50% of the time they'll be in the same place...

I'd settle for banishing shiny chrome knobs with itsy-bitsy dimples as position indicators to the nether depths of hell. Yes, I'm looking at you Blackstar...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    What head has top mounted controls? What would you do with a full stack of 4x12's?
    What head has top mounted controls? What would you do with a full stack of 4x12's?

Ok, looking into this I've seen the Boss Katana and a Weird Fender Deluxe Head.
    And also the Fender Mustang Head and ID Core Head...

A combo is acceptable, but on a head is another level of stupid.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    The newish vox ac 15/30 heads are top panel I think?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited January 2017
    I understand top panel for combos - easier user access, especially modelling amps with more controls and LCD.  Some manufacturers assume that in the main only a single 4x12 cab will be used and so put controls on top.  But all heads should be side-panel as stacked on a 2 x cab stack, the controls are too high to reach comfortably.  

As I mentioned in the Marshall CODE thread, Marshall has been sensible with top panels on combo's only, but side panels on the CODE 100 head.  

I appreciate that some folk prefer side panel controls on all amps - but at least Marshall's approach is logical and evidences some thought.  I prefer side-panelled combo's for two reasons.  First, I have limited space at home and I need to stack amps. Second, assuming there are no top vents, if someone spills beer over your amp the chances are you'll be able to wipe it off with no damage to your amp - with a top panel, if a spillage doesn't blow your amp your controls will likely be gummed up at the very least.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    ICBM said:
    And here. I've been banging on about this for ages.
    Really? I hadn't noticed..

=) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    I can just picture the outcry if they change the design for the classic amps like Tweed Deluxe.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Heads: front mounting always.

Combos: there are arguments for and against either so personal preference.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    I can't say I'm overly bothered either way, I almost never touch them during a gig, I tend to view my guitar as my amp's remote control. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    I can just picture the outcry if they change the design for the classic amps like Tweed Deluxe.
    No need to - it's a classic design the way it is. The problem is continuing with - or in fact, reverting to since there was a long time when almost all amps had front-mounted controls - the same thing with new designs which don't need to be done like that.

I can understand it with small combos that are designed for home use, when the amp will quite likely be on the floor. For a gigging amp when it shouldn't be, and is more likely to be raised up or tilted back, it's really daft - and it also exposes the amp to the risk of drinks getting spilled into it. And for a head, it's even more so.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    For me, the classic angled panel a la Fender Blackface / Mesa Mark etc is the perfect design for both combos or heads, whether straight up or angled back. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616

Some of the late 90s Laney Combos had a decent compromise with the controls mounted on the front at about a 45 degree angle - makes for great viewing/twiddling whether stood up, sat down, amp on the floor or amp stood off the floor.

They also did some of the back/upwards mounted too mind you :/

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Haych said:

Some of the late 90s Laney Combos had a decent compromise with the controls mounted on the front at about a 45 degree angle - makes for great viewing/twiddling whether stood up, sat down, amp on the floor or amp stood off the floor.

They also did some of the back/upwards mounted too mind you :/

These were the LC combo range that are no longer made. Laney still uses the angled fascia panel for its LX and Linebacker range.  All its current heads are side controls, as they should be.  

But Laney isn't unique re the 'angled' fascia  - My Marshall Valvestate 80VR '8080' has it too.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)