Cordless vacuum cleaners

What's Hot
going all mumsnet again here.

MrsTheWeary would like a cordless cleaner which we could have in the camper ( and charge up when we are on mains electric, which is usually only every few nights when we go away) and then use at home for upstairs ( we have a small vacuum for this but it is on it's last legs). Hell, I might even clean the car out, nothing is impossible I guess...

We were looking at the Dysons in Tesco and a woman made a point of coming up to us and saying how crap her Dyson was. Nearly £200 for a vacuum cleaner and they weren't even the cheapest option. 

Anyway, anyone get any experience or recommendations? Ta. 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a small Dyson which is brilliant. Battery has a good life and the suction is great.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Vax cordless slimvac - i paid £95 in john lewis and its excellent. Does an entire one bed flat in one charge, has a couple different attachements including a 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    Have a G tech machine.
    Utter crap
    Has the the pulling power of a wet tissue!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    We have the Dyson V6. Very good but battery only has a 6 minute life ....so might be less than ideal if you're not recharging immediately after use. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Hertz32 said:
    Vax cordless slimvac - i paid £95 in john lewis and its excellent. Does an entire one bed flat in one charge, has a couple different attachements including a 
    ...? I've seen those on sale as well at about that price, ta. 
    My dog barks his head off at their bloody ads. Ta. 
    rolls1392 said:
    Have a G tech machine.
    Utter crap
    Has the the pulling power of a wet tissue!

• We've got a Vax cordless. I think it is called an air lift or something like that. Easily does the whole house several times on a charge. The motor and dust tube bit comes off and works separately via the hose for doing the car or stairs. Ours came with a spare battery and It has a 6 year warranty. Mrs F loves the thing.
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    jellyroll said:
    We have the Dyson V6. Very good but battery only has a 6 minute life ....so might be less than ideal if you're not recharging immediately after use. 
    Wow, 6  minutes is , well, probably not enough. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    jellyroll said:
    Wow, 6  minutes is , well, probably not enough. 

Depends how big your caravan is??? But yeah, not really fit for your purpose.
    We've got a Vax cordless. I think it is called an air lift or something like that. Easily does the whole house several times on a charge. The motor and dust tube bit comes off and works separately via the hose for doing the car or stairs. Ours came with a spare battery and It has a 6 year warranty. Mrs F loves the thing.
    Well, Vax winning so far! 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Mine is a Dyson DC34 and a charge lasts over 6 hours. It's quite old and still keeps it's charge for ages if not used. Suction is excellent.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    We've had two Dysons in the past, both motors gave up after approx.18-24 months. No pets, just two young children.
  • I have a dyson V6 animal. I've had it for about 13 months. We have a dog. It works great and really useful for the car as well as covering every inch of the house without any sign of running out of charge. If the battery or motor was giving me problems I'd probably get it looked at. A few of my friends have alternative cordless products and their opinions are universally pretty poor.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited January 2017
    We have a Dyson V6 Animal as well.
    I believe it is convenient for getting cobwebs and other little jobs- at least that is what the housekeeper says.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Another vote for the Dyson V6 Animal, which has a powered brush in the head, a suction boost also, it's the best Vacuum cleaner we have ever had, highly portable, will do all our 3 bed two lounge house with charge to spare, highly recommended......it amazes us still, how much it picks up.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    I've got a cordless Dyson and it's fantastic for cleaning up after the kids! I think it says it'll do 20min on a charge (or <10min on the super-power mode) which is actually a surprisingly long time for continuous vacuuming.
    I got mine from the Dyson eBay outlet shop for a really decent price (I think it was either open-box or refurbished), so I'd look there first if going for a Dyson.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Ahh, refurbished v6 animal for £167 for one year warranty looking good.  =)

BigMonka said:
    I've got a cordless Dyson and it's fantastic for cleaning up after the kids! I think it says it'll do 20min on a charge (or <10min on the super-power mode) which is actually a surprisingly long time for continuous vacuuming.
    I got mine from the Dyson eBay outlet shop for a really decent price (I think it was either open-box or refurbished), so I'd look there first if going for a Dyson.

• I've got a Dyson V6 too. We got the one that has a hard floor head and also a carpet head.

It was expensive...but it's bloody brilliant to be honest. The suction is more powerful than our old corded Dyson and the convenience of cordless really is great. Cleaning up after the kids is loads easier now. Battery life significantly longer than 6 minutes - we get at least fifteen. It's less than that on "max" mode or whatever that's called but you only need that occasionally.

I know it's a bit mumsnet but it's genuinely one of the best gadgets we own.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Also - I bought a refurbished one from Dyson on eBay. They claim refurbs have a 1 year warranty (instead of 2 on brand new). When I registered the serial number with Dyson their email said "you have a two year warranty on this device" so you may get lucky like me! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Hertz32 said:
    Carpet rolling one which is excellent and an extention tube to make it all easier ;)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100